Evan's Grip Strength And Bodyweight Training

Evan Raftopoulos

Evan, the Mediterranean is such a nice area to go to and I'm rather jealous that you have family to visit over there, wish I could go back myself! Remember to bring lots of chalk as you will probably sweat a lot from the heat!

Congratulations on your BW gripper close, few have done that :D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It's been months since I posted in my training log, not planning on posting all my training as I used to(I'm lazy about it at the moment) just some vids

This is from today's ninja comp and training

• Like 1

Did you ever train with Clint Darden?

hey Jedd, no it didn't work out. From what my friend told me it's not an actual gym that people can walk in and it's located relatively far from where I stayed. Maybe next time. From what I understand his gym is more for strongman and powerlifting.

got some more ninja nails S7s and S8s. S7 felt easy even though I had hard time wrapping it tightly with the silvis pads. I tried the S8 after this just to see perhaps a miracle can happen but no!

did this right after I won the dead-hang challenge. Not ideal technique with this, I could have used my hips more and let my arms rest in the deadhang position but I just like doing things with my elbows at 90 which is also part of arm wrestling training :)

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, avasatu said:

Sick. How long had you been training prior to the start of 2015?

thanks man, I wanted to get more but I'm happy with 14. Most people I've seen can get five or less and some cannot even hang from these. They are becoming more and more popular in ninja gyms. I will ask my friend that did the one arm pullup on one (pro climber) to try for max pullups and see how many he gets.  

I've been training on and off for many years, since I was 12 actually. Initially weight training, then I served in the military (Special forces ) back home for two years (2002-2004) where I did a lot of obstacle course training, endurance training and calisthenics. Now I'm 31. I took a long break without consistent training focusing on my studies from 2004-2011 and I started training hard again maybe the past couple of years, been training specifically for ninja warrior a bit over a year, calisthenics about 2 years, more consistent bouldering for about two years, grip sport for a few months.

You're 31? I guess activity and fitness do keep you young. Keep it up, man. You are one of the only other lightweights on here, and you give me good goals to look to.

Edited by avasatu

thanks for the compliment man, I hope the older guys on the board don’t read this and feel really old :P . In all the sports that I care about you can compete even in your 50s and 60s if you want, even ninja warrior :) 

no problem man, some noticeable lightweights in grip sport that you can look up if you haven't already: Matt Cannon (lightest MM1), Yori Skutt (lightest MM0 as far as I know), Mike Hann (Arm wrestler but told me he still trains grip). They are all strong especially with crush and pinch from what I remember.  Mike Hann also did a rolling thunder one arm pullup both hands a few years back. They can all do rafter pullups. Also look up Darrin Shallman, he can pull 300lb I think on the 2” vbar -mindblowing. Josh Koenig is getting up there too but I don't know the guy or seen any vids of him, I just saw his name in many comp results. There are a few others too but can't recall off the top of my head right now. 

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos
  • Like 1

Josh W is also about same wt as you if I remember right. I think he is 19 and he closed a no 3 before and he is also strong with bending especially for his age/weight. Jose Cabrera is another strong lightweight as well who competed in grip sport and he is also bending. Sorry if I'm forgetting others. Whoever else here is in the 74k or below class can chime in. Or we can start a new thread about it. 

• Like 1

worked on the 2" and 2.5" crushers at the gym today and then I tried this (last rep wasn't perfect)

• Like 1

I've been wanting to try this the past few months but never had the chance to be at a place with two rafters. Today I thought to check the basement of my apartment building and boy was I happy! I'll be going down there more often!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FJM said:

Those are great fun. I plan to make place where to do them, but right now have other goals.

yea, and it's such a nice way to train pinch without need of any equipment. Now everywhere I go and see something that looks like a rafter I try to do pullup on it :happy my friends think I'm crazy

• Like 1