Powerlifting Log

EricMilfeld

Several months back I got the idea to become an 800 meter runner, but soon discovered my knees may have other ideas. So, I've made a mid-life crisis decision to return to my roots and powerlift. I will lift in the USAPL, strictly raw, eventually bulking up to the 105k class. Something like 518, 353, 650 seems reasonable a year or two in the future. I'll be experimenting with some new training ideas I'm very excited to try: more volume, more frequency, and varying reps and intensity more than I have in the past.

I'll catch up this log from the beginning, which was the week I quit running last month:

Week 1

Squat 209x10x3

Bench 185x10x3

Deadlift (beltless) 301x10x3

Week 2

Squat 230x10x3

Bench 190x10x2, then x7

Deadlift (beltless) 316x10x2

Week 3

Squat 250x10x2

Bench 195x10x2

Deadlift (beltless) (sumo) 336x10x2

Week 4

Squat 285x7x2

Bench 213x7x2

Deadlift (first set sumo) 396x7x2

Week 5

Squat 295x7x2

Bench 218x7x2

Deadlift 412x7x2

Week 6

Squat 323x5x2

Bench 235x5x2

Deadlift 450x5

Week 7

Squat 371x2, 251x12

Bench 264x2, 202x12

Three Days Later (tonight)...

Squat (beltless) 301x3x5, 301x4

Bench (paused reps) 235x3x2, 235x4

I'll start including my assistance exercises in the log from here on out. I've gained roughly 20 pounds since I gave up the running, weighing a little over 200 now. I have still been hitting cardio once or twice a week with rope jumping and may start doing some rowing machine if I can get a Concept 2 rower. My step-dad may give me his.

• Like 12

It's not a midlife crisis bro, it's who we are. It runs in our blood. We may try and escape it, but the only escape will be the final rest. We were made to do this. You can't fight fate...

• Like 5

Thanks for all the goodwill, guys!

Rick, since doing my first meet in 1982 I've taken detours into jiu jitsu, running, strongman, (won't call grip a detour), and now I'm back to the big three. So, you must be 100% correct.

I'm making all sorts of changes to my approach simultaneously. I've fought minor bouts with sciatica over the years, but so far I've been pain-free since the inclusion of rolling on a big piece of PVC pipe (much better and more painful than foam), as well as consciously hyper-focusing on lower back alignment with squats and deads. I'll always be a round-back puller, but being slightly less so is helping. And I'm discovering I can train aerobically with no I'll effects on my strength. On the contrary, I believe in the long run it will be beneficial, not only for health and longevity, but by increasing my capacity for more strength training volume.

Brother I've seen the Reaper twice and I still cant shake it!

Deadlifts (beltless)

396x6x2, 396x7

Shrugs

429x12x2

Chins

60x3x2

66x3

Barbell Rows

187x7

Then some LGC revolver and rope jumping.

• Like 1

Some solid training Eric!

I will be watching this!

Thank you, David! I feel a good year coming on for us.

Strong lifting Eric, nice log.

Thank you, Jon. I'm really enjoying eating to my heart's content for a change and feeling stronger every time I workout.

Strong numbers Eric! A 650 deadlift would be a monster lift!!

Strong numbers Eric! A 650 deadlift would be a monster lift!!

Thanks, Carl! Yes, I would be very happy with a 650 raw pull. The most I've done raw is 635, and that was twenty years ago. Lol. Any chance you'll be doing Raw Nationals in Scranton this year?

Squats

328x6x3

Bench

235x6,5 (had to stop prematurely, despite the weights feeling easy, due to a right pec strain I felt doing chins the other night that was letting me know it wasn't healed)

Calves

210x20x2

Curl Bar Against Wall

102x5x2

Sit Ups

25x12x2

• Like 2

Squats

328x6x3

Bench

235x6,5 (had to stop prematurely, despite the weights feeling easy, due to a right pec strain I felt doing chins the other night that was letting me know it wasn't healed)

Calves

210x20x2

Curl Bar Against Wall

102x5x2

Sit Ups

25x12x2

Do you find you get much out of the extra calf work Eric?

Squats

328x6x3

Bench

Calves

210x20x2

Curl Bar Against Wall

102x5x2

Sit Ups

25x12x2

Do you find you get much out of the extra calf work Eric?

In the past I never noticed any discernible difference, other than a little extra shape to my chicken calves. I think I'm doing it just for the fun of it, and maybe backing out with heavy squats will feel a bit easier.

• Like 1

Thanks, Carl! Yes, I would be very happy with a 650 raw pull. The most I've done raw is 635, and that was twenty years ago. Lol. Any chance you'll be doing Raw Nationals in Scranton this year?

I doubt it. I am looking at doing an ADAU/100% raw meet, maybe in the spring, and possibly an RPS meet this summer. Other than that, I want to do some more grip contests this year. What bodyweight were you when you did 635?

I doubt it. I am looking at doing an ADAU/100% raw meet, maybe in the spring, and possibly an RPS meet this summer. Other than that, I want to do some more grip contests this year. What bodyweight were you when you did 635?

I was 220. A few weeks before pulling 635 I did 625x2, so on the day I did the double I would have been good for 660. The 635 was actually a missed attempt at a double.

• Like 1

Squats (beltless)

318x3x5

Close Grip Bench

- attempted a set, but after five reps realized my pec injury was not going to allow it

Then did a few sets of grippers.

Deadlift

479x4

439x7

Shrugs

429x12

450x7

Barbell Rows

208x5x2

• Like 2

Squat

368x4x3

Rehab Benches with 66 pounds

Calves

225x20x2

Curl Bar

105x5x2

Sit Ups

25x12x2

• Like 1

Eric - have barbell rows transferred well to your pulls? I've done them periodically through the years, but it's one of those lifts that never really stuck with me. Thinking about throwing them back into one of my back or chest days.

Eric - have barbell rows transferred well to your pulls? I've done them periodically through the years, but it's one of those lifts that never really stuck with me. Thinking about throwing them back into one of my back or chest days.

I can't say that I've really noticed them improving my pulling ability in the past with my weekly intense deadlift training probably being more than enough back training, and I actually prefer chin ups, but since I recently hurt my pec doing them I thought I'd substitute with barbell rows. Here's my thinking-I'm trying my best not to go too intense on deadlifts anymore, so maybe heavy rows and shrugs will help to keep my upper back up to snuff. And I've just always liked rowing movements and think they help me to stay balanced in my strength. I'd say give them a try, though!

Squat (beltless)

328x3x5

-then some light benching and tri and delt work, just feeling out the recovery of my pec

• Like 1

Thanks. Rows are one of those things that I've been inconsistent with, despite knowing I should be doing them. I'm going to try to get them back in for a few months and see if it helps.

Deadlift

527x2

357x10 (beltless)

Shrugs

460x7x2

Barbell Rows

208x5x3

• Like 2

Deadlift

527x2

357x10 (beltless)

Shrugs