Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride

JHenze646

On 10/19/2017 at 10:45 PM, JHenze646 said:

And something I am working on that I would appreciate thoughts and opinions on.

Just watched this part of your training log.    I have one “idea” you might want to look into.   Maybe instead of a larger size shot in the main globe, what if you use some smaller shot or BBs to load it with? So instead of trying to get one ball rolling you have a few to get moving.   It would not be as smooth as a single ball, but you could increase both the weight of the entire globe and the amount of drag to get it spinning that way.  

(Disclaimer: I got this idea from one of my kids toys)

i have these egg shaped music shakers for my kids, and I just tried to do your larger wrist circles with them.   They seemed to work.  If you ever pass a Guitar Center these only cost a few bucks so you can try one out.  

Besides the many small beads inside them, I think there is something about that egg shape that makes them work well, at least for making percussion music...  but you would have to try one to see for yourself.  If you do not mind the noise, I mean music there are two Grip ideas in those toys...

If you also think that egg shape might improve on the idea, Maybe it would be possible to make a larger version if you took a 2inch diameter sphere and cut it in half, and welded a short piece of pipe between the two halves to make more of a shaker shape then your origional globe shape.

C14D2AE2-D2A3-49CC-B546-EF0966B9A3A8.jpeg

27832ED3-77FD-44E5-A8F0-A09F702A824E.jpeg

Edited by richcottrell
  • Like 1

Tonight it was cold.

I don't really have time to set up training for Gripmas. So I am going to do my best to just be capable for the comp.

Vulcan grpr work lvl3 x reps

Flask 70 10x1

Easy face levers 3x10

Horseshoes - polo0 x1, SCF LR1 x2

And just in case you were wondering, supersetting bench press and bending horseshoes is as dumb as it sounds.

My older brother and my younger brother are coming to compete at Gripmas.

1112171916-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, JHenze646 said:

1112171916-1.jpg

Is this what people mean when they say “seasoning a Gripper”!??

• Haha 2

A week later and I am still building back up from my work trip. I made it over to Brent's and he let me borrow his Euro to prepare our group for Gripmas. I forgot what a great piece of traing equipment it is. I need to get mine pulled together.(I need spacers)

Tested 21hp - this is the first time I can remember pinching over my bodyweight!

Shoes - polo0 & SCF LR1

I have gone full blown Gripmas elf and I will try to have a picture up later of some toys.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

I made it over to Brent's

I haven't seen him in like forever. If you see him again tell him I said hi and I hope hes doing well. 

• Like 1

haha. Just realized I wrote my log update in your log. Shows you how out of it I am. :laugh

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2017 at 6:24 PM, JHenze646 said:

1122171820.jpg

Now that you are Grinched for Gripmas, I will not be able to ask you this in person...

so what is that bottom grip implement in that photo?  Looks cool, but I have no idea what it is!

It's a decorative wrist lever bar.  It might not make it to Gripmas. It doesn't fit in a box.

@richcottrell

Edited by JHenze646
Making sure Rich is listening

There hasn't been any training updates because there hasn't been any training. The Dr. has assured me it's just a muscle pull and I will be better after a few weeks of rest.

Grippers and bending will have to qualify as rest.

• Like 1

Hope you heal up brother, wheres your 2hp been lately? I remember pinching out at Chris's place a while back and I remember you had some great numbers.. 2014ish??

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jvance said:

Hope you heal up brother, wheres your 2hp been lately? I remember pinching out at Chris's place a while back and I remember you had some great numbers.. 2014ish??

Jedd posted a Gripmas 2013 picture a few days ago. Good times.

I have Brent's Euro to train for Gripmas.  I was looking to PR at the comp. I wanted something north of 100 kg. I still really need to bring up my 1hp. Hopefully as I get back to training I can really start to make things happen.

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

2018: the year I hopefully get better in so I can work on the same goals from five years ago... 😕

FB_IMG_1514775445393.jpg

• Like 3

Haha. I saw this meme on Facebook. 

• 2 weeks later...

There isnt much to update. I havent trained much grip in the last few weeks and other lifting is pretty much limited to bench press and pull ups. It has for the most part sucked all the joy out of hitting the gym and its hard to be motivated to do anything at all. Healing just isnt happening and based on previous injuries, it will be 6 months to a year(most likely a year) before I can get back to 100%. I am hoping to be good enough for a games that takes place in July but time will tell.

Forgive my ignorance, but what did you injure? Would some custom grip gear brighten your spirits?

6 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

Forgive my ignorance, but what did you injure? Would some custom grip gear brighten your spirits?

Ha. Thank you but I am ok. I have been tinkering with some ideas of my own. 

• 4 weeks later...

Feb. Update

Still injured but hopefully improving. Due to the lack of training and a stomach virus, I could easily compete in the 94KG class currently.

I would like to mention that the messages and help i have received from everyone are extremely encouraging. Thank you.

I had set the goal of "hoping to heal in 2018". I literally wrote it down that way. All the other physical goals i wrote down were vague and uncertain as well. I dont know if its that I am far enough removed from the onset of the injury or if my current influences are correcting my thinking, but that is no way to set goals. I also usually keep my goals and aspirations very private. The wounds of failing and falling short are always reopened when i glance over a previous list or an acquaintance inquires about a goal I was once moving toward. This year I will try something different.

Goal #1 for 2018 - Deadlift 545 lbs. x1

To accomplish this goal most of my other goals will need to be accomplished as well. I have never pulled more than 475(from the ground, standard bar, straight weight). Healing will not be enough to accomplish this, I will need to improve drastically. I must heal for this to be feasible and have received a program which I will be utilizing to facilitate the endeavor. I also am realizing there is a lot of garbage going on with my hips and my hamstrings have tightened. *screaming* "No... No, not stretching!!!"

Goal # 2 - Maintain a lean bodyweight in the 220's

I need to gain back some muscle but I also need to lose quite a bit of the non-functional weight I am carrying. Diet will be a bit of a problem as I have trouble eating enough without junk. The main issue here will be finding conditioning that is not detracting from the other goals. Previously I always did some form of conditioning but it was always counterproductive. It detracted from either my lifting or my sport. I need to find something that builds into these other goals that is sustainable.

Goal #3 - Bench Press 315 lbs. x1

I have never benched more than 280 lbs. I am not built for it and my shoulders are not the best. I feel i need this level of strength to accomplish a few other goals and this should be something that doesnt detract from the deadlift goal.

Goal #4 - Certify the Shiny Bastard

I am not a bender. I am a gripster that bends. But before I  hang up my IMPs i would like to see my name counted amongst those who have destroyed this bar. The strength of pursuing my bench press goal and the emotional content from trying to heal, my new career, and the pursuit of my other varied endeavors should garner enough drive to see this goal through.

Goal #5 - mark a 45' open stone (highland game)

The years are hastily passing and before I step onto the field as a Master's Athlete I have several marks I would like to achieve. This is a goal that will not compete with the Deadlift goal but will offer a separate narrative of success and failure perhaps.

Some goals have a clearly laid out plan. Others will take much more research and possibly reevaluation. However I have posted them publicly and if you would like to discuss, offer advise, or check in with my progress, I encourage you to do so. I bought the ticket, Onward with the ride.

• Like 4

Sorry to hear you're injured. What happened? I most have missed the post

my tablet gave up the ghost recently. My wife has given me her old iPad which offers some different video options. Enjoy!

• Like 3

Great goals Josh! I look forward to reading about your progress. Good luck with everything.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Re-building PR squat 155x10

i have been sporadically bending as well, just some 60D & 70D nails. With more consistent training 70Ds should be good for volume training and them I can move into some more challenging bends.

i have some plans laid out to work my way toward my goals but right now is lots of low intensity volume and stretching.

• Like 1

Another fun Sunday

i didn’t get to do anything remarkable but it felt like a real workout for the first time in a while.

i tentatively deadlifted 185 5x5. They felt strong and solid. Progression will be the hardest thing to manage here, not too fast nor too slow.

bent four 70Ds in BBW struggling to get into the kink position. 

• Like 1