Experimental Rolling Thunder Program

Guest Squat More

Guest Squat More

I wrote up a program for the Rolling Thunder based on training advice I have gotten from Laine Snook, Alexey Tyukalov, and Steve Gardener. It is based on high rep, linear progression along with the use of a Titans Telegraph Key and Wrist Roller. Following this sort of training I took my rolling thunder max lift from a tough 135# pull to a tough 181.5# pull in a matter of two and a half months.

I am looking for at least 5 guys willing to put 10 weeks into the program to see how it works. I am not attempting to make any kind of profit off this just looking to see if it was a fluke for me or if there is more to it. I guess anyone who decides to try this program would be a guinea pig of sorts (no offense meant lol)

This is a URL to the program, as you can see it is pretty simple, nothing mind blowing but in my experience it works, and then some. Not only did my rolling thunder get stronger but it also added quite a bit of mass to my forearms and wrists. You may have to save the spreadsheet to your PC and open it in Excel or Re upload to your own google docs profile to edit the starting weight.

Squat More's 10 week Rolling Thunder Program

What I took from Laine Snooks advice were the ideas of using a submaximal weight and simple linear progression for high rep sets and the use of a Titans Telegraph Key for specific thumb training.

What I got from Steve Gardener was the use of a wrist roller, both for thumb strength and recovery purposes.

Alexey Tyukalov also suggested over a facebook chat one day in the use of static holds, that is, negatives - taking a weight and holding it for 3-5 seconds at lockout. For anyone who has used the KTA program or uses negatives/overcrushes in their gripper training, I would consider this similar, but only for the rolling thunder.

These tips/factor I believe helped me the most in my rolling thunder training, along with wrist work. In the spreadsheet I mention extra wrist work, I always did this wrist work on my deadlift days, which was always three days after my Squat workout there I would train the Rolling Thunder. Plate curls, thick bar wrist curls, extensor work.

I am not going to tell guys to totally drop all other grip related work, but at the same time this is a RT specific program and I never did much else besides the occasional hub lift, lighter gripper/vulcan close and blob negative. I was focused on raising my rolling thunder lifts.

There is no "scientific studies" behind this program, it is just based off training tips from world class RT pullers and what helped me add a good amount of weight to my RT when I used this type of training. Over the last little while I have tried what others have said worked for them in the past, low rep heavier weights on the RT and I feel I have gotten weaker on the implement. Again, looking for guys who are willing to give this program a go and see how it pans out for them. Anyone willing to dedicate their training to it and see where they fall in the end.

This can also be done for FBBC crusher, the Gladiator Roller, or the 60mm Robert Baraban rolling deadlift handle.

Anyway, I hope a few people here will be interested in giving it a go and seeing how they do. Thanks to Bill/Wannagrip for allowing me to post this here.

• Like 3

I will try it. I have been thinking about kicking up the RT work anyway.

I have been insanley lazy the last 3 weeks on a side note. :turn

Guest Squat More

Good stuff Rich, glad you will be giving it a go. Let me know if there are any problems with saving the spreadsheet and opening it on your own to edit the training numbers.

On a side note, I never trained RT on anything but a squat day, like I say in the spreadsheet compound movements with a barbell fire up the CNS the most and allow for more strength. Some people may not squat or pull, and this is fine I just don't know how the body will react without these movements. This is another reason I posted the program, as it worked for me I am curious as to how it will work for others, squatters and non squatters alike.

I have also included a one rep max tester, loosely based on Prilepins chart and an article on Testosterone Nation on testing a one rep max, it has been changed slightly to better accomodate the rolling thunder. This is how I have tested my RT max lifts in the past.

I'm going to attempt this since Rolling Thunder is one of my weaker lifts and see what I can do with it.

Guest Squat More

Great! So far "NewGripster", Rich, and yourself are willing to give it a shot. I will be starting a new cycle myself next week since I want to get back to training my Rolling Thunder again.

Cool thing you've got going. I won't get in on this but ill be watching this thread closely....

Guest Squat More

My friend Nuno Couto from Portugal is a maybe with this program, he is going to talk to his PL coach and see what he thinks - he has meets planned and if it doesn't interfere with everything else he said he will try it.

Nuno is a 200# puller on the Rolling Thunder so if he does agree to try it out it would be interesting to see what kind of progress he makes.

EDIT: once everyone willing to try the program is on board and ready, I will make a training log here for everyone to update their training days. As this is still experimental I feel having a log for everyone to post in, make reports or observations can be a great help.

Edited by Squat More
  • Like 1

Im in, just not yet, I have to do the RRBT for another like 70 days or something :)

Cool thing that ppl like John and Rich decided to do it too, makes it even more interesting since I know they wouldnt try crappy sounding stuff :)

• Like 1

Going to look at when I can actually get started on this and what days are going to be the best for me to do this. It is going to be very interesting since I'm also in the process of training for the MM3.

• Like 1

Weird coincidence. I dusted off my RT the other day for the first time in years. Must be a sign. I'm in

• Like 2

Guest Squat More

Just got a message from NewGripster about the program, he was somewhat confused by what a few things meant so I clarified for him and am going to post the reply I sent to him here, in case anyone else had a similar question.

Whatever is your best rolling thunder lift, you use 60 to 75% of that for your starting weight. I have 130 plugged in there but since it is an excel spreadsheet and whatever number you put into the starting weight affects / changes the rest of the weights in the program.

"Week 1 - 1x10+ more reps" and "130" refer to the one set of 10 or more reps with the weight, in that case 130 pounds.

You have 70kg crossed off in your signature so I am going to assume 155 pounds is your max lift, 75% of 155 is 116.25lbs, I would round down to 115#, so you do a set of 10+ reps with 115# the first week, then the next week you add another 5# for 120# and so on, by week 7 you will be lifting 145# for 10 reps, this is 10lbs off your last 1rm, for a high rep set.

The wrist roller and dynamic thumb work weight is up to you, and is done the same day as the rolling thunder training. This is a once a week program, like I say use a weight that is challenge but won't injure you, you do the dynamic thumb work and the wrist roller for assistance in hypertrophy, some strength, but mainly blood pumping and recovery.

TTK/Dynamic thumb work should be for 3 sets of 10 reps

The wrist roller should be for 2 sets of 10 rolled up and lowered down "reps" on the wrist roller, power rack pin supported wrist rolling is the best choice for this IMO. Why turn a superior forearm blasting workout into a mediocre delt exercise? (stole that line from an old IM ad)

• Like 1

Thanks man! And also there was a session 2 days after this grip workout with some wrist curls and plate pinch curls?

This will be good fun! Too bad I cant start tomorrow! Hahaha

Guest Squat More

Going to look at when I can actually get started on this and what days are going to be the best for me to do this. It is going to be very interesting since I'm also in the process of training for the MM3.

Train the opposite hand on the RT that you plan to cert the MM3 with. I have always trained both hands equally, this time around I am going to only train my left hand on the RT and my right will be towards dominating my Sorinex bosco bell until I get a high pull with it. Simple stuff.

• Like 1

Guest Squat More

Thanks man! And also there was a session 2 days after this grip workout with some wrist curls and plate pinch curls?

This will be good fun! Too bad I cant start tomorrow! Hahaha

Yep 2-3 days after RT training, dedicate a session to wrist strength work. leverage curls are best, especially if you can make a leverage curl fatbar implement like I did and posted about in this thread

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=40280

• Like 1

I am going to look into this, but maybe I am not the best reference in how this works afterwards, because my main goal is improving my grippers for a while, so rolling handle will be my assistance excercise afterwards.

Guest Squat More

Then I wouldn't suggest using the program Geralt, not until you are able to dedicate a bit more to it. Any program is only as good as the effort put into it.

• Like 1

Guest Squat More

So who is on board for sure, and in the next little while?

I just finished my first workout on the program, week one, and will be starting a group log here now after I have supper for the guys who are giving this program a go.

I'm in! Tomorrow starts week 1 for me.

Guest Squat More

Awesome stuff guys, what will your beginning numbers be? I started a log for everyone running the program and posted my first day in it, along with some thoughts on wrist rolling and TTK work.

Awesome stuff guys, what will your beginning numbers be? I started a log for everyone running the program and posted my first day in it, along with some thoughts on wrist rolling and TTK work.

The weight I'm starting out with could be close to 105-110, just going to see what feels good and I'll go from there.

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to cut the RRBT program short just so I can start this program instead :) Im doing 4 ore days of Phase 5 and then Im doing the peaking phases. Its somthing like 30 days left + 1 week of rest before I start this program.

How far have you guys gotten throught this program?

I've decided to cut the RRBT program short just so I can start this program instead :) Im doing 4 ore days of Phase 5 and then Im doing the peaking phases. Its somthing like 30 days left + 1 week of rest before I start this program.

How far have you guys gotten throught this program?

I didn't run the exact program but I did something similar-based on his blog before he made this program- for the last like 5 weeks-after minor break from anything serious grip or training wise- and I got a solid 20lbs out of it on my test day. I am going to run it more strict after my october contest and start up bending again. Idea was the same though 10+ reps on rolling thunder along with wrist assistance-ironmind roller+sledge work- and dynamic pinch work-done with pony clamp- I did it twice a week though instead of once, still one set though-both on my squat days-. You really feel the forearms pump up doing them I tried to do them very strict so reset every time-while keeping grip tight always- to make sure you fill the forearms with blood. You should feel a good pump after the set kind of like you would with your legs on a heavy high rep squat. I also really like those static holds, daniel told me he would do those with pinch so I tried them on rolling thunder and liked them a lot -should have done them more, its a great finisher when your forearm is all pumped already-

Edited by Stephen Ruby

Guest Squat More

I deleted that blog last week, too many spam comments having to be deleted, my phone constantly blowing up with emails and "approval" requests and I'm not talking advertisements I am talking harassment. I have a sneaking suspicion who it was, a dementia suffering retired strength coach is my #1 guess.