Noob Race To C.o.c. 2.5!

Electron

patrickmeniru: what type of auxillary oblique work did you do? I've done side bends with a 100lbs Db for 20 rep sets but stopped because it's somewhat awkward because I have to use 25lbs plates instead of 10s to fit them on the dumbbell.

I basically just did loads of oblique crunches, you lie slightly on one side (halfway between flat on your back and balancing on one side), then put your upper hand behind your head and crunch so that the upper elbow touches the knee. I did lots of reps of these, i also do lots of core work, russian twists with weight, dragon flags and windshield wipers are all great.

Im guessing that side bends do carryover, but i didn't do that many - when i did i used 20kg plates and focussed on getting max ROM for between 10 and 20 reps.

Just realised that i've been keeping a log of my training, if you look on the workouts forum you should find it pretty easily. When i began it i didn't have the flag so workouts near the beginning should be relevant.

All the best for your training.

a great oblique exercise that also hit the grip are one hand suitcase deadlifts.

Alright lads :) aint been on here for just over 2 weeks or so now. had to rest my hands for awhile because they werent feeling the best. funny thing is, the day i decided to stop and have a rest, i had a phone call off my cousin to start work. so while i should have been resting, ive actually been labouring for the last 2 weeks..

At first i thought this would make my hands worst but they seem to be holding up well. Sunday just gone i decided to pull my grippers out and expected to be struggling on the 1.5 again. turns out i managed x3 singles on the #2 with both hands! i was pretty pleased with that considering i thought id be weaker. I'll be choking the #2.5 tomorrow and see how that goes.

tomorrow il get a video up. i have a camera on my phone, its not the best quality, but if i dont upload something soon people are gonna start thinking im full of $hit.

Hows everyone doing on their progress? lets get an update. Thread' seems to have gone off track a bit.. :grin:

Alex... the labor may have served as active recovery. My suggestion would be to not even pick up the 2.5 yet... you have a vulcan use that. You just had an injury and you don't want to push it too hard too fast and reinjure yourself, which happens more often than you think.

Alex... the labor may have served as active recovery. My suggestion would be to not even pick up the 2.5 yet... you have a vulcan use that. You just had an injury and you don't want to push it too hard too fast and reinjure yourself, which happens more often than you think.

i definately agree that it made for good active recovery. i was going to choke the 2.5 but i think il stick to doing more singles on the #2 first. when i can get the #2 for a few reps then il move onto the 2.5. at that point, if all goes well i should be shutting it easy.

i wont be getting too hasty with the grippers again. slow and steady wins the race.

EDIT: also, im not a fan of the vulcan. i feel like its the smith machine equivilant of a bench press. i know thats probably a bit strong.. but the vulcan travels in a fixed motion while the TSG's do not. it feels much more natural, and doesnt bother my knuckles like the vulcan seems to a bit.

Edited by alexjones234

This is where I am still, but it's the first video I did for the #2.

I can close it with both hands more consistently, I don't think I got the left hand on this video, but I did for sure on a second attempt that I didn't get to record.

I guess I just gotta get better at setting it off-hand.

I tried the 2.5 and I still got a long way to go. But I'm confident that if I stick with my training, it'll be easy soon.

Yeah I set it parallel for my right. I don't have very good experience with chokers, so I haven't used them lately.

Maybe I'll start again soon, but right now I think I need practice setting well.

I think if you keep poundin' the Cheerios you will get there in no time ;-). Nice work!

For sure. That was pretty sweet kellogs product placement :chris: .

The hardest part about chokers is really just getting it set up... but you can use your #1 for that :)

Great job Tentacle!

I just got the #2 and 2.5 in the mail yesterday and was pretty confident I would be able to close the #2 even with tired hands but I could not.. ugh pretty squeaky spring on the first couple attempts.

Can do 6-8 solid reps with the #1.5

Missed by about a few millimeters. I can get the 2.5 to about parallel though.

Going to give my hands a few days rest and then I will post a video. Looks like we are about the same build as well.

Also just watched about half of the Joe Kinney video. Dude is a beast!!!

Count me in the race to the 2.5 close and #3 by March 2013.

Best of luck,

EMAN

For sure. That was pretty sweet kellogs product placement :chris: .

The hardest part about chokers is really just getting it set up... but you can use your #1 for that :)

Haha I noticed after I took the video all the cereal in the back. This is at my mom's house, and I guess she likes displaying it.

I'm not sure if I'm using my choked grips properly, but maybe I should go and search for articles in the forum.

How much easier is the choke supposed to make them?

Same difficulty as closing it with your best set... you also start with a more in the tank because you don't have to set it.

Great job Tentacle!

I just got the #2 and 2.5 in the mail yesterday and was pretty confident I would be able to close the #2 even with tired hands but I could not.. ugh pretty squeaky spring on the first couple attempts.

Can do 6-8 solid reps with the #1.5

Missed by about a few millimeters. I can get the 2.5 to about parallel though.

Going to give my hands a few days rest and then I will post a video. Looks like we are about the same build as well.

Also just watched about half of the Joe Kinney video. Dude is a beast!!!

Count me in the race to the 2.5 close and #3 by March 2013.

Best of luck,

EMAN

Thanks Eman!

You should oil your springs man, it helps a lot.

Sounds like you'll be able to do the #2 real soon.

I've wanted to watch that video. Where can you find it?

• 2 weeks later...

Badass, how difficult is the lv.10?

I bet you have a flawless set from training on the vulcan.

Hard is relative. For me however, the set seemed to be the hardest part. It wasn't anymore difficult when I got down to the last centimeter, but I just couldn't close the handles any closer... it was weird but I'm finding that it happens more and more with my training. My assumption is due to the heavy amount of partial training that I do.

I was actually going to post a video asking people to critique my set soon.

But of course. I have sets, especially on the 2.5 or the 3, where I can get it set correctly but I'm missing the strength to move the handle any further.

Hope to see that video soon so I can see how it looks.

Can you set the 3? I used to have a lot of trouble with it.

Thanks to Rich, I found out why my 2.5 has been such a challenge.

He RGC'd my grippers.

Here's the results:

filed#1=90.7

filed#2=121.9

#2.5=138.6

#3=149.8

The 2.5 is a bit stronger than average. The good news is, once I conquer the CCS of the 2.5, then I'm not far from the #3.

Thanks to Rich, I found out why my 2.5 has been such a challenge.

He RGC'd my grippers.

Here's the results:

filed#1=90.7

filed#2=121.9

#2.5=138.6

#3=149.8

The 2.5 is a bit stronger than average. The good news is, once I conquer the CCS of the 2.5, then I'm not far from the #3.

2.5 is supposed to be like 130 right? I get my RGC#s mixed up...

What I meant with squeezing is that I guess I couldn't squeeze any harder but it didn't feel difficult.

I can set the 3.5. Not to a parallel set though.

2.5 is supposed to be like 130 right? I get my RGC#s mixed up...

Based on what Wade has on his site, yeah, it's 8+ lbs over the 'average'.

Interesting. This means that my secret weapon is a rough 1.5 ratio difference between the weight on the loading pin

I can easily close my bbgm mounted at 1/4 calibrated by Aaron at 137.5 for three strong reps but can barely close my uncalibrated CoC 2.5 whivh means some are just strong ever stronger than easy CoC #3