2hp Hand Position?

Cannon

Yeah, Parris, I'm pretty obsessed right now. I plan on putting up a big number for the 74k class.

I feel like handsize and bodyweight are irrelevant. I'm mostly studying the mechanics of the lift around hand position.

I wouldn't say any of this is discouraging. I have switched widths as a way to test what works for me. I take notes and compare to the other widths. It has been a valuable endeavor for me so far!

But this reminds me... I STILL have to make a Parris pinch!

Matt, actually I was also thinking. When I study the 2hp I usually watch the gripping set and beginning of the lift over and over again, from as many different angles as the net will allow from the top 50 lifters. You may pick up on something you missed before that could work for you.

Tonight I duplicated my last workout exactly except at 54mm this time. It was exactly the same result. I couldn't lift any more or less weight. No tearing either. So right now 52 and 54 seem identical. This is the first instance I've found where I didn't give something up. Usually thinner and I can't lift as much. Thicker and I get tears.

I guess next workout I'll go to 56 and do it again.

• Like 1

I was re reading the thread again,i have to say, for me there is no "slip" creation of a big "gap", and the other thing that gets me is what's all this finger walking? In my video I posted about the 2hp I tried to keep it simple and really think that it is. After a couple sessions someone should have a good feel for it. Then just hammer away at getting stronger. Technique will get you far but your hand strength will eventually have to be raised, so dont spend too much time beating yourself up about little things. Just try looking at humidity or temp compared to training vs contest, I think that is really what needs to be studied.

Parris

Edited by rico300zx

Hand size is pretty much a non-issue with the adjustable Euro but (athletic) bodyweight matters .... a lot. The top 20 lists demonstrate this. You will find it nearly impossible to beat the top mark in the 83k class (let alone the heavier classes) while in the 74k class, trust me.

I feel like handsize and bodyweight are irrelevant.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Hand size is pretty much a non-issue with the adjustable Euro but (athletic) bodyweight matters .... a lot. The top 20 lists demonstrate this. You will find it nearly impossible to beat the top mark in the 83k class (let alone the heavier classes) while in the 74k class, trust me.

I feel like handsize and bodyweight are irrelevant.

Absolutely! I meant irrelevant as variables in this "research" I'm doing to find a good width and hand position. I'm only trying to pull a PR, and possibly a 74k record eventually. I totally agree with what you said about the top marks in the heavier classes.

I moved this to the training journals to make it clear that I'm treating this like my own 2HP training journal. Advice is welcome as before.

I'm not beating myself up over any of this.. Just trying to get better and excel at this lift. :).

I know a few others test multiple widths often, I'm just writing about it.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far!

Well, I've come full circle with my 2HP experiment.

Last night I did the same 40+ rep workout that I have repeated at different widths for a couple of weeks. I realized I cannot make 56mm with my combination of inserts, so I skipped straight to 58mm. My old standby.

Not only did all the warm up reps feel incredible; I easily lifted the 155# which had stopped me in the previous workouts. So I moved on to what would be a PR on my plates. 161#. I clarify that because I have lifted 172 on Jedd's rig, and 178 on Adam's rig. Around the time I pulled 178 at WSH, I had just hit 160# on my own plates at 58mm.

So 161#. I took three attempts. They all came off the ground, the first one about 1/2 way up and the second two about 1/4 way up! This confirms for me that I am unquestionably stronger at this 58mm width. I feel I have given this enough attention that I can stop thinking about it for a while.

Also, despite the 161# being a max effort--and I got them off the ground--and they were not successful lifts--that's usually the perfect recipe for a tear. Which has been common problem for me at the 58mm width. However, last night there were no tears! I can't exactly explain why except that I did not "lose" the weight; I just had to set it down. I attribute some of this to getting stronger at the other widths and that helped me avoid a total slip. Which was also common for me.

So here I am at 58mm. Same as it ever was. I would still like to play with 56mm and will probably cut another insert some rainy day to make that possible. Otherwise it's time to do more work.

I am finally 90% over the sinus/ear infection that has shut me down. I will be joining back in starting monday.

re the width/gains discussion. I am a pretty firm believer that I made my best gains at a "too thick" width when I was training on plates even though I got cut. not sure if that helps or not.

I've been talking to jedd and the ideas in this thread have me excited to get back at it starting monday.

I call foul that you have so much access to Jedd.

Keep posting your thoughts here. Others have PM'd me that this has been a very helpful thread.

I hadn't done pinch since Gripmas until I went up to Andrews a couple weeks ago - I pulled 232 to within a half inch of the cross bar at 48 - 50 - and 52 mm (all misses). Pulled 222 at 48-50-52-54-and 58. I'm still best at 50 but getting better at other widths by not training - I am now starting the John Eaton training methods of being sure I am very well rested :).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

on my volume pinch day I have started doing some 5x5 1hp. the idea being that even if my technique stays the same I will progress by bringing up my thumbs and fingers. it worked pretty well for my block weights.

I was surprised how light I had to go. 2x25+5. as usual the rep work is harder for me than singles by a mile. I'm hoping to get up to 2x35 5x5 in the next 2 months.

matt, what are you doing now?

Love this thread. Brent, I hear you about the reps harder than abunch of singles by a mile. Even if your singles are only seperated by a re-grip, not re-griping is waaaay harder.

Anybody experimenting with the weight placement. I only use wooden pinch blocks because I have no euro. Block shaped on top rounded like a euro with a hook to grab loading pin on bottom. Some blocks are as short as I could make them ( top to hook ) and others are exagerated long. The longer blocks way harder ( 30 or 40 lbs difference) because the weight is lower, it is impossible to tilt. I also made an freinkenpinch, two small one hand blocks connected by chains to a single body which has a hook on bottom to grab a loading pin. The idea of that was to eliminate the "braced feeling" of two hands pinch but still using the same two hand movement . It is really awkward and hard to get set up to pull but kinda cool anyway. My left always poppes out first. Havn't trained on them long enough to say if it's doing any good but it's different anyway.

Cemery

Since you don't have a 2 handed pinch why don't you try making something like this?

• Like 2

on my volume pinch day I have started doing some 5x5 1hp. the idea being that even if my technique stays the same I will progress by bringing up my thumbs and fingers. it worked pretty well for my block weights. I was surprised how light I had to go. 2x25+5. as usual the rep work is harder for me than singles by a mile. I'm hoping to get up to 2x35 5x5 in the next 2 months. matt, what are you doing now?

I have been leaning toward volume as well rather than heavy singles. Things are going okay. I've been sticking with 58mm and no tearing still.

I've been having a lot of "deload" discomfort on the top of my forearm that is annoying. I don't feel it before or during the lift, but when I'm done and let go it's like someone is trying to pry my radius and ulna bones apart. Left arm is worse than right. Because of that, I would say that 2HP is just not testing well in general. It never really feels good. So being a responsible person who listens to what my body is screaming at me, I've backed off and focused on support lifts that don't cause this pain. Once I get through the upcoming 4/28 contest, I have already decided I am going to put a lot more energy on two or three things that are HUGE weak spots for me.

Wrists, thick bar (one and two hand), block weights. It's time to stop neglecting those areas.

Interesting surprise today. Pulled a PR on my plates at 54mm!

I last lifted 160# on these plates when I hit 178# at WSH Leg 2 on Adam's rig.

Since then I stripped the seasoning twice and have never enjoyed the surface.

It felt great today.

Pulled 161# for a new PR on my plates! And at 54mm no less.

This gives me great hope of going 120% of body weight at the 4/28 contest. I only need a lift of 175.5 to make that happen and based on this I believe I will be good for more. We'll see. I'm just happy that I had a pinch workout that felt good.

1HP felt great as well. No tears in general until I made a stupid mistake on setup and bit my left thumb a little.

I did tripples in the 1HP for two years but found that singles (lot's of them) are better for tendon conditioning. Getting strong in the 1HP is not rocket science but people tend to be impatient. You are doing great if you can add 1-2% a year to your 1HP max. Slow and steady will win the race. No reason to doubt your routine if you can add a little bit every year to your max.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

so, this last sunday I hit a PR. first 2hp pr in over a year by a good bit. here's what I think I was doing leading up to this and what I was doing in the lift:

since there was 1hp at gripmas I had spent 2-3 months hitting 1hp rather than 2hp.

during the 1hp training i never got comfortable with a width. so, it would be common for me to work 3-5 widths. i worked both small to thick and thick to small.

I have been trying to make sure to do wrist curls almost every workout, definitely at least once a week.

reverse wrist curls for my extensors.

While I was actually doing the lift I had my lats and triceps flexed very hard. my upper arms were held int my body and they felt like they were pushing each other(lats and tris). it felt pretty awkward to lift like that since my elbows were basically pinned to my sides.

hope this helps.

• Like 1

Guest Squat More

That is pretty much what I have been doing Brent. Going between 54,50 and 48mm widths in training, with 50 being my most comfortable "optimal" width now. The reason is the ore narrow 48mm makes my fingers work harder than my thumbs, the 54mm makes my thumbs work harder than my fingers and at 50mm right now both are equally involved in the lift along with my palm.

Also in my assistance I have done a lot of reverse wrist rolling for my extensors, TTK work and standing wrist curls using the Euro itself. I grab how I normally would and stand up, then curl it so it's swinging in between my legs.

As for the tension work, I keep my elbows in which helps keep my lats tight and makes my left thumb turn counter clockwise and my right thumb clockwise, greatly increasing my torque while gripping the euro which causes more friction and less slippage, I make sure my palm callous pads are on the edges of the euro so it isn't only a thumb and fingers lift and this does not cause any trauma to my wrists.

Brent interesting that 1HP seemed to carry over well for you. I've heard a few people say that it didn't help but I would assume if you're getting your fingers/thumbs stronger, still hitting wrist flexion that you should get stronger after practicing on the 2HP. Did the 1HP carry over surprise you or something you expected?

Brent interesting that 1HP seemed to carry over well for you. I've heard a few people say that it didn't help but I would assume if you're getting your fingers/thumbs stronger, still hitting wrist flexion that you should get stronger after practicing on the 2HP. Did the 1HP carry over surprise you or something you expected?

I don't know that 1hp did carry over. i never really felt like I got any improvement on that lift. I was just throwing it out there as a likely possible cause. I think my hand position is pretty different between the 2. also, I feel completely different doing 1hp than I do on 2. it always feels more uncertain when it gets heavy at all.

Interesting discussion and I appreciate the thoughts. I'm too new to pinch training to come to any solid conclusions either. Interested in seeing how it goes though. 2-45's is on my short list and will focus on that while testing 2HP from time to time as well.

Cemery

Since you don't have a 2 handed pinch why don't you try making something like this?

This thing is straight dope, by the way. Bravo Parris.

Cemery

This thing is straight dope, by the way. Bravo Parris.

lol thanks!