Pat's Training Log

patrickmeniru

Yesterday i did a little bit of jogging and then went to the gym.

4 x 4 fast MU with as little kick as possible

1 x 5 wide pull-ups w/24kg

1 x 5 chins w/24kg, v.slow descent on each rep, pausing for a couple of seconds at each frenchie hold position.

1 x 10 weighted dips w/24kg

1 x 10 dips

2 x 5 cast wall walks - find these tough.

1 x 4 frenchies

1 x 3 bicep curls w/27.5kg dumbbells

1 x 6 bicep curls, mini reps at top of ROM w/27.5kg

3 x 6 military press 70kg

1 x 10 straight arm lat pull-downs w/25kg (I think, struggling to remember exactly)

1 x 8 straight arm dumbbell flys w/12kg - i feel that this helps gently stress my elbows in a controlled way.

2 x 6 wide, explosive pushups

1 x 10 straight arm pushup bounces - read about these helping to strengthen shoulder girdle, felt unnatural, but not uncomfortable.

3 min row on erg, and walk home to cool-down.

Shoulders are feeling pretty tender today! Will do a grip workout later.

Went to athletics circuits again today, didn't feel as bad as last time. Also really happy to get a OAC negative with short lockoffs at the top, middle and bottom of the movement with my right arm, and a good form (i think) back-lever.

Edited by patrickmeniru

1 x 4 wide grip pull-ups w/24kg

1 x 3 frenchies w/24kg

1 x 10 dips w/24kg

1 x 20 dips

2 x 5 min jog

2 x 5 rolling pistols

1 x 30 sec wall HS

1 x 3 HeSPU

1 x 6 hammer curls 20kg

Some ab exercises and some one arm pull-down work with the left arm using lat pull-down machine and assisted pull-up machine. Some extensor work.

Today's session:

Slow XR Dips to L-sit 5

HeSPU 4

Adv tuck BL pulls 2

Adv tuck FL pulls 2

Cast Wall Walks 4

v-sit 20

oblique v-sit 10

10 supermen

Bicep curls 6

Rocky style OAP 4

DId this circuit twice with 5 min break.

Grippers:

2 x #1 TNS

10 x #2 TNS RH, 4 x TNS #2 LH + 2 misses and 6 reps #1 TNS

50 store gripper reps

Warm-up:

1 x 10 shoulder circles

Wrist prehab pushup routine

1 x 10 pull-ups from square beam

Working:

1 x 5 dips to L-sit

3 x 30 sec XR support w/1 min recovery

1 x 30 sec wall HS

3 x 4 MU

2 x 5 german hang pull-outs

2 x 5 full ROM tuck FL pulls

2 x 2 assisted OAC

1 x 10 sec one arm hang

3 x 10 wide ring pushups

2 x 6 strict OAP w/ring assist from other arm

1 x 10 explosive pushups

4 x 10 sec tuck planche w/1 min recovery

5 x (20 v-sits, 10 feet raised oblique crunches)

HS practice

Warmdown:

Elbow prehab routine

• 2 weeks later...

Wrist pushup series, elbow prehab exercises

1 x chin w/24kg

1 x pull-up w/24kg

1 x chin w/40kg

1 x pull-up w/40kg

1 x chin w/44kg

1 x chin w/52kg (PB)

1 x 4 MU

3 x 5 dips w/44kg

3 x 5 OAC w/20kg assist - working top of ROM

2 x 10 feet on wall pushups

1 x 5 cast wall walks

2 x 6 military press 50kg

1 x 20 pushups

I have taken the last couple of days off in order to let my elbow tendons fully recover. They were starting to feel a little sore after each workout, which is a sign that i need to ease off a little. Decided to have a gripper only workout to see where i was at with the TSGs.

Warm-up:

1 x #1 TNS

1 x #2 TNS

1 x #2.5 MMS

Working Sets:

2 x 2 #3 MMS right hand (PB) :)

0 x 1 #3 MMS left hand (missed by 3 or 4 mm)

4 x 1 #3 MMS right hand

5 x 1 #2.5 MMS left hand

2 x 4 #2 TNS

1 x 6 #1 TNS explosive

1 x 10 pinch reps on spring clamp.

Extensor work with rubber bands.

Went to athletics circuits today, did lots of medicine ball work, plyometrics and some pushups. Also did some handstand practice, tuck planche work and a few muscle-ups on rings.

Athletics circuits today, lots of core work and some plyos for legs. I'm also keeping up the HS work and making improvements, am able to hold a stationary HS for 5-6 seconds now just using my hands to adjust. Hopefully now that i've started to get the technique i'll be holding HS for 30 seconds before too long!

Did my wrist strengthening workout in the morning.

Warm-up stretches etc.

4 x 30 sec ring support w/1 min rest

2 x 3 muscle ups w/2 mins rest (stopped 3 sets early due to elbow pain)

5 x 5 ring dips w/L-sit and 1 min rest

2 x 20 shoulder bridge leg swaps

2 x (10 diamond, 10 wide, 10 tiger-bend, 10 forward/back hand swaps)

2 x 1 OAC neg (left arm assisted at top of ROM)

1 x 2 assisted OAP

1 x 4 assisted OAC

1 x 12 tuck planche 'hops' on floor

1 x 6 ring bicep curls

Wall HeSPU 2 x 2 full ROM

800m jog to track

2 x 4 30m sprints with walk back recovery

800m jog back to college

2 x 5 wide grip pull-ups on beam

Grippers:

2 x 1 CoC #3 MMS double closes RH

1 x 1 CoC #3 MMS RH

0 x 1 CoC #3 MMS LH (PB - missed by about 2mm)

2 x 1 CoC #2.5 MMS LH

1 x 4 TNS CoC #2

1 x 10 TNS CoC #1 explosive

1 x 20 TNS store gripper

1 x 20 TNS inverted store gripper

4 x 20 extensor sets with elastic bands

• 2 weeks later...

After taking a full week off from any form of training, i'm ready to get started again, hopefully with refreshed tendons! Planning to play football and tennis today, and then do some pushups, pull-ups and handstand work tonight.

Been really lax with posting here as of late. Been playing a lot of tennis, and started playing some 5-a-side football too. Gym wise did the following session the other day:

Pyramid of 1 rep through 6 reps and back down:

strict pull-ups, 2 secs up, 1 sec hold at top, 2 secs down

strict dips, same timing, double the number of reps (2 through 12)

leg press 80kg, explosive up, 2 seconds down, ending with single leg negative each set

Some HS work, some pushups, some plyometric jumps and some tyre flips.

1 x 6 40m sprints

2 x 1 5 min jog

Gym today for the first time in a while:

Didn't record any specifics, but general gist was lots of pull-ups in sets of 10 and 5. Lots of wall pushups, dips and HS work. Some tuck jumps, burpees, ab-wheel and med-ball, leg raises.

I also roughly measured my standing jump distance. Only managed 2.65cm (approx), not too displeased, well down on the 2.80m+ that i used to jump a few years ago, but given the injuries i've had and the weight i've put on, it's a good starting point. I'd like to build up to 3m eventually.

6 mins on treadmill, 6 mins or erg, 6 min cycle.

Grippers:

Warmed up with #1 and #2, then made 3 TNS attempts at #2.5, missed them all by varying distances right and left. Did some reps with #1 and #2. Then some extensor work.

Edited by patrickmeniru

Corporate gym again today, got told off for doing HeSPU against a wall. HS is coming along really nicely now, I'm getting to the stage where I can stay up for a good 10-15 seconds now. Did some plyometric jumps and lots of squat jumps and split bounces. Also did some core work, pushups, pull-up and cycling.

Also did my usual wrist mobility and strengthening exercises.

Grip wise, attemped a #2.5 TNS and missed by 5mm or so. Did a few widish parallel #3 closes with right hand and #2.5 with left. Did some compromised handle position closes with #2. Extensor work.

Starting to get some really good wrist flexibility now, pushups and stretches finally paying dividends! Felt pretty tired today, so session was pretty easy. First time i've done dragon flags in a while and really hit my core nicely, a little bit of soreness in the abs, which is a nice sign that they did some good work today.

Wrist pushups

2 x 4 (5 wide grip pull-ups, 10 push-ups, 10 squats, 5 calf raises)

One arm handstand against wall work

2 x HeSPU

Wall HS holds

2 x 4 dragon flags

Some sit-up variations

2 x 5 hanging leg raises

4 x 5 L-sit pull-ups

3 x 5 tuck FL pulls

3 x 5 german hang pull-outs

10 min jog

Another gym session today, very similar to the last one, but no dragon flags as the abs were still a bit sore. Replaced with 1 x 10 ab-wheel roll-outs from kneeling. Also did 4 x (1 x HeSPU, 1 x wide chin slowly w/30kg).

Did a bunch on stretching, pre-hab and mobility exercises today, along with some grippers. Some of the mobility work has left my left elbow a little sore, but hopefully it will sort itself out with a total rest tomorrow.

Grippers:

RH - Just worked my way up to #3 MMS to warm-up. 1 attempt at CCS #3, missed by 2mm or so, very happy to get so close.

LH - Just missed #3 MMS by 1-2mm, very close and again, happy with the attempt.

Have been pretty slack with grip work of late, but still making some steady gains. When i get back home to my thick pull-up bar and other improvised grip tools, I should be able to get the #3 CCS righty and MMS lefty, along with the #2.5 TNS by the end of summer. In terms of general strength and fitness, finally starting to feel relatively strong again in the legs after the time off because of injury, did my first post-break pistol right leg and am getting closer with the left leg. Handstands are progressing nicely now too, although I need to work on alignment and shoulder mobility.

• Like 1

Did a bunch on stretching, pre-hab and mobility exercises today, along with some grippers. Some of the mobility work has left my left elbow a little sore, but hopefully it will sort itself out with a total rest tomorrow.

Grippers:

RH - Just worked my way up to #3 MMS to warm-up. 1 attempt at CCS #3, missed by 2mm or so, very happy to get so close.

Have been pretty slack with grip work of late, but still making some steady gains. When i get back home to my thick pull-up bar and other improvised grip tools, I should be able to get the #3 CCS righty and MMS lefty, along with the #2.5 TNS by the end of summer. In terms of general strength and fitness, finally starting to feel relatively strong again in the legs after the time off because of injury, did my first post-break pistol right leg and am getting closer with the left leg. Handstands are progressing nicely now too, although I need to work on alignment and shoulder mobility.

Nice! Sounds like a #3 CCS is coming soon. I wanna see it go down. Getting close to a #3 MMS lefty is great also. Keep working hard buddy!

Grippers:

Nice! Sounds like a #3 CCS is coming soon. I wanna see it go down. Getting close to a #3 MMS lefty is great also. Keep working hard buddy!

Haha, thanks Chez, I'll do my best!

Rest day today, went for a run and couldn't resist trying a couple of flags. Was fine with left arm down, but right shoulder girdle is MUCH weaker and couldn't get up on it, need to work on that. Left elbow still sore, so tomorrow in the gym i'm planning on just doing lower body and core work, along with some shoulder girdle work for my right arm.

Did some stretching and ankle/wrist mobility work to warm up.

5 x (10 explosive neutral grip pull-ups, 10 pushups, 2 pistols each leg, 6 squats, 10 calf raises each leg)

NB - variety of types of pushups, calf raises an effort to improve left calf endurance after leg break and achilles elasticity after tear.

2 x 4 body levers

1 x 10 ab-wheel rollouts from kneeling

4 x 10 oblique crunches

8 x 10 crunches (and crunch variations)

1 x 10 diamond pushups

1 x 5 cast wall walks

Some wall HS work

1 x 10 burpees

1 x 10 hanging leg raises

2 x 10 leg raises w/10kg on feet

2 x 10 explosive leg raises

1 x 20 slow, wide pushups

2 x 5 HeS pike raises

2 x 10 supermans

A few other bits and bobs that I can't remember/can't be bothered to record.

Did my usual stretches and mobility exercises to warm-up.

Did a little HS practice.

Plyometric jumps and hops, still trying to re-activate my left achilles as i have no elasticity at the moment.

20 mins on treadmill at 11km/h

5 mins on stepping machine (?)

7 mins cycling machine

3 x 10 explosive one leg step ups onto box

5 x 10 single leg calf raises - left leg still fatigues a lot quicker than right.

Some ab-exercises, including leg raises, hanging bent leg raises, crunches and ab-wheel stuff.

Will massage achilles tonight, have been massaging each night to try and break down scar tissue. Going to make a real, concerted effort to improve flexibility, strength and elasticity in my achilles over this summer.

Usual stretching, mobility stuff.

2 x 2 frenchies w/20kg

2 x 6 wall pushups

1 x 6 wide pull-ups w/10kg

1 x 8 wall pushups

1 x 2 frenchies medium-wide pronated grip w/20kg

Some calf raises

Some one arm pushup work

Some horizontal rows, bar to chest

1 x 10 wide pushups

1 x 10 diamond pushups

Some HS work

1 x 1 10 second 1 arm hang

10 minute jog at 11km/h

Did a little TSG work today, still can't get the #2.5 TNS, but i did manage to get my #3 MMS left hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Did my first workout in a few days yesterday, felt quite weak and uncoordinated, but I always feel that way after taking some time off. All the pull-ups and hanging exercises were done from a 2" bar (my swing).

Started with my usual stretches and mobility exercises. I can now do full wrist pushups, whereas before I had to kneel. Shoulder mobility is also improving slightly.

4 x 5 kipping MU

5 x 1 explosive chins

3 x 1 One handed chins (different from OAC)

1 x 10 wide grip pull-ups explosive

2 x 10 chins explosive

1 x 5 wide grip pull-ups slow, perfect form

1 x 5 chins slow, perfect form

1 x 5 narrow grip pull-ups, slow perfect form

2 x 10 wall-pushups

2 x 10 dips

1 x 10 wide dips

1 x 10 explosive pushups, feet raised

1 x 10 pushups, feet raised

1 x 10 hanging leg raises

1 x 15 hanging tuck leg raises

1 x 20 crunches

1 x 10 oblique crunches each side

A little bit of HS and PL work.

Steady 5km jog around the park.

A couple of hours after the workout, I found a tape measure. Was interested to see how I measured up and here are the results (may not be 100% accurate as I'm not sure exactly how to measure bodyparts other than forearms, which I can do after reading Mighty Joe's thread).

Height: 6"0

Arm span: 6"6

Waist: 33"

Chest: 42"

Biceps (flexed): 15.5"

Thighs: 25"

Forearm: 13"

Wrist: 7.5"

Ankle: 8.5"

Calf: 16"

Neck: 16.5"

Edited by patrickmeniru

Gym session with some friends:

Usual warmup

3 x 6 MU small kip

1 x 1 chins w/20kg

1 x 1 chins w/30kg

2 x 3 chins w/40kg

1 x 10 chins

1 x 10 pull-ups

1 x 3 frenchies

1 x 6 cleans 60kg

3 x 6 cleans 80kg

1 x 6 deadlift 80kg

1 x 6 deadlift 100kg

1 x 4 deadlift 110kg

1 x 4 deadlift 120kg

1 x 4 deadlift 130kg

1 x 1 deadlift 140kg - switched from double overhand to alternate grip here, need to work on my support grip strength.

1 x 1 deadlift 150kg

1 x 1 deadlift 160kg

1 x 1 deadlift 170kg

1 x 1 deadlift 180kg

1 x 1 deadlift 190kg PB

1 x 2 deadlift 180kg

4 x 10 pushups

1 x 6 benchpress 60kg

1 x 2 benchpress 80kg

1 x 4 benchpress 100kg

1 x 4 benchpress 90kg

1 x 20 second farmers walk w/50kg dumbbells

3 x 20 weighted crunches w/20kg

2 x 10 hanging leg raises

1 x 20 back hyperextensions

1 x (20 crunches, 20 oblique crunches, 20 feet raised crunches, 20 russian twists w/6kg)

1 x 10 wide dips

1 x 10 narrow dips