York Deep Dish Plates

mike60975

Just like Richard said; any english; read as tilting, will cause them to flop apart. I don't think the Euro transfers well to these because most people tilt or at least attempt to tilt the Euro. You can't do that with these. You have to pinch them straight up.

So a good intermediate goal might be to do the Schisler"s that I have currently at 3 5/8" - when (and if) I get to the point where I can do them with control (or at all :)) - then work towards the York's perhaps.

So a good intermediate goal might be to do the Schisler"s that I have currently at 3 5/8" - when (and if) I get to the point where I can do them with control (or at all :)) - then work towards the York's perhaps.

Yep and make sure you're pinching them straight up. If you use wrist flexion, you're wasting your time.

I like Jad's observations spot on. I have found (for me at least) training with the same device I plan to eventually lift or close "assisted" is in grip ( an angle and space specific task) better than working up through various weights and size items. Doing it that way always worked for me. RS

I like Jad's observations spot on. I have found (for me at least) training with the same device I plan to eventually lift or close "assisted" is in grip ( an angle and space specific task) better than working up through various weights and size items. Doing it that way always worked for me. RS

Richard - I agree but I'd have to have a pair of York's to do that - which I do not - so I'll do what I can.

Couple of questions for you guys,

for Richard (or anyone else of course) - since you have so many York Deep Dish plates, can you tell us how much variation there is from plate to plate; plate weight, plate thickness, lip thickness etc. Are they pretty much all the same or is there a lot of difference in difficulty between them?

for everyone - How much of a difference does thickness make to you on pinching strength? For example, all other things being the same, how much lifting strength do you lose in going from 2.5" to 3.5", or from 3" to 4"?

ps did any of you happen to see the Zuvers 50s on ebay last week? I posted it in the equipment section but not sure if anyone saw it there.

Well he has never been assigned that title by me. He is the 'king' of the 2HP on the Euro, not the 'king' of the 1HP or the overall 'king' on the Euro (1HP + 2HP). For the latter title one has to perform in contest on that lift (1HP). David is currently the allround king on the Europinch (1HP and 2HP), much as Pete is the allround man to beat on the Euro (1HP + 2HP) in the 82.5k class. Hopefully we will see the 1HP Euro featured in the US. Most guys would do far better in medleys if they focused more on the 1HP.

Ask the 2 hand pinch man Jedd if they as being reigning "king of euro plate pinch" didn't find them hard.

Sorry, I thought Jedd held the world record recently, no disrespect just my lack of info.

The Yorks... and yes I have been around quite a few.... vary a good bit in total weight, somewhat in finish(by cast smoothness and/or paint left, but the edges were smoothed NOT turned flat or true so the metal to metal contact along the perimeter is very sporadic. "I guess" you could find a "better " fitting pair and perhaps rotate them enough until they meshed as well as possible. To the HUGE credit of Chad he just grabbed two off the stack ignoring their "weighing heavy"( they are all marked as to actual weight) on at least one and went right to gripping. Fantastic feat to see! One of my absolute favorites to have ever witnessed. In any case those rounded , irregular, AND thin edges will slip and crash apart in a silly second. It allows for little or no "technique" other than absolute hand strength. It was the "defining test" of the "old York" lifters in the 50s through the 70s. NONE of them made it along with every strength legend that visited them was urged to try.RS

• Like 1

He is holding the 2HP record (120k) but not the (in this context) more relevant 1HP record on the Euro (51.4k by David Horne). I wonder how much one has to be able to one hand pinch on the Euro (with little tilt) at 4'' width before one is likely to pull two york plates. Lifting two loose plates is of course more difficult than lifting one solid object but the centralisation of the mass works against the Euro set up. Elisabeth Horne can pinch two 20k plates but I doubt she can lift 40k on the Euro. I can lift considerably more on a set up (with comparable surfaces) using two 20k plates as a base than I can on the Euro in the 1HP.

Sorry, I thought Jedd held the world record recently, no disrespect just my lack of info.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

To no surprise, Richard is spot on with the Yorks edges. I can rotate my plates around to where they fit somewhat decent but if I just grab them without any attempt to line them up, they can be hard to 2HP because they flop apart so easy

The Yorks... and yes I have been around quite a few.... vary a good bit in total weight, somewhat in finish(by cast smoothness and/or paint left, but the edges were smoothed NOT turned flat or true so the metal to metal contact along the perimeter is very sporadic. "I guess" you could find a "better " fitting pair and perhaps rotate them enough until they meshed as well as possible. To the HUGE credit of Chad he just grabbed two off the stack ignoring their "weighing heavy"( they are all marked as to actual weight) on at least one and went right to gripping. Fantastic feat to see! One of my absolute favorites to have ever witnessed. In any case those rounded , irregular, AND thin edges will slip and crash apart in a silly second. It allows for little or no "technique" other than absolute hand strength. It was the "defining test" of the "old York" lifters in the 50s through the 70s. NONE of them made it along with every strength legend that visited them was urged to try.RS

Thanks for thinking of me Richard. As Mikael pointed out, I hold the record in the 2HP in the Over 82.5-kg class. I have never competed in a max-weight 1HP event.

Jedd

Thanks for thinking of me Richard. As Mikael pointed out, I hold the record in the 2HP in the Over 82.5-kg class. I have never competed in a max-weight 1HP event.

Jedd

Yep and Tim Struse and Paul Knight have not won many inverted gripper events so I think calling them the crush kings is a bit premature

Not quite the same thing. Various varieties of the one hand pinch are featured in virtually every medley in US grip competitions so having a strong 1HP is certainly important in US grip comps. Inverted grippers is almost never featured in US grip comps. One can be super strong in the 2HP Euro but at the same time have a modest 1HP on the Euro and vice versa. I would put my money on David Horne in the 1HP and on Jedd in the 2HP.

Yep and Tim Struse and Paul Knight have not won many inverted gripper events so I think calling them the crush kings is a bit premature

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Well now I know why they are so hard to find, they are all at Sorinex, 30+ plates, wow! But, I still have to wonder if there would be more people doing it if there was more interest in the feat. I've got to believe a guy like Jedd Johnson could do it if he really put his mind to it, he probably just has other training priorities, Euro-pinch, blobs, etc. I also suspect Wade Gillingham could do it, 3 35s even if secured with a bar is still unworldly, mabye he just doesn't have the plates to try it with. What about David Horne and Brian Shaw? Same prob. the plates are too hard to find and too expensive to buy when found. $475 + shipping on Ebay as I write this.

Anyway, it would still be a very exclusive list, comparable to closing a CoC#4.

Thanks for the input guys, it's an interesting read.

I've never had a chance to try them but would love to if I ever get a chance. Richard let me know if you want to sell some :)

Not quite the same thing. Various varieties of the one hand pinch are featured in virtually every medley in US grip competitions so having a strong 1HP is certainly important in US grip comps. Inverted grippers is almost never featured in US grip comps. One can be super strong in the 2HP Euro but at the same time have a modest 1HP on the Euro and vice versa. I would put my money on David Horne in the 1HP and on Jedd in the 2HP.

Since Jedd wins/has won many of the medleys doesn't that mean he has a topnotch 1HP?

Back on topic: I spoke with Mike Deming last night. He was a top notch wrist wrestler back in the 70's and took 2nd or 3rd the one year (73 or 75?) at Petaluma. This was when it was single elmination and the previous year's champ didn't pull until the finals. Mike also told me there were around 300 guys in his class alone, the event literally went all day, and ABC was filming. So we got to talking and he was telling me how him and his buddies would literally hitchhike if necessary so they could get the latest Bob Hoffman mag (Strength and Health?; I forget what he said it was) and see how they compared with everyone (PL was his passion but he was much better at AW). I started telling him about Gripmas and he told me that his friends used to think he had a great grip because could pick up the York 100's by the rims and walk around with them like it was no big deal. Then he makes the comment, "the 45's were easy because they used to be thick and had quite a lip". I start chuckling and tell him I'm well aware of the deep dish Yorks and tell him the grip history on it. Richard had mentioned that only him and Chad had pulled them and when I told Mike this he almost couldn't believe that anybody could pull them and kept reaffirming with me that I was talking about 2, smooth side out. I pulled up google images and showed him the picture of Richard and he just sat there a while shaking his head and talking about how strong that was. He also got quite a kick out of the blob when I told him the history on that and said he'd thrown around a lot of those old York db but never would have thought of that

Anybody that is familiar with the iron history I'd love to hear more on the following:

1. Said he used to work with Dane Hussey(sp?) at McDonald Douglas and that he was quite a lifter

2. Said he used to work with a Dan McGoogan (sp?) and that he was pretty strong too

3. Said Jon Cole was one of the strongest humans he's ever seen

4. Were the old York 100's thin lipped making them hard or is this a case of the untrained (regarding grip) people thinking something is hard that isn't?

Edited by jad

My money would be on Chad for the one hand pinch.

My reason for picking DH (apart from the fact that he is the WR holder) rather than Chad is that Chad's best 2HP on the Euro is just a fraction higher than David's and David has an unusually strong 1HP relative to his 2HP.

My money would be on Chad for the one hand pinch.

gripboards sorry for long waited response i have york originals that measure 4 1/2 inchwide also pair of paramonts hub plates

right around 4 1/2 inches wide too its sad that these plates are not made anymore because they are a gripmans dream, when i drove three hours

to pick them up the knucle head selling them had t5hem out in the rain what a score none the less. i say this you will never find these plates under the heading

york or deep dish, to many peoples servers are on to them , check out graigslist and the people who have something like weights for sale

ask for a picture that may get you what you want , its luck i drove 3 hours 3 days later i got a set of 45 orignal yorks 2 streets down from my work either i was happy hope that made sense or help i never proofread sorry