Jump to content

Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Chez said:

Hey Royz. I hurt myself on the tips tester at a friends comp. it was the first time I touched the thing and I grabbed it incorrectly. So I have a new rule, I’m not competing and/or maxing out on something I don’t have experience with. I’m also not competing on events I’m not comfortable with. 

Did it slip out of your hand and injure a ligament in one of your fingers?  That's what happened to me a couple years ago.  I use extreme caution on the tips tester ever since.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Chez

    1678

  • Geralt

    141

  • daniel reinard

    78

  • Josh O'Dell

    57

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Starting to feel real......  

Still alive and still training. I never stopped. Work and my personal life got crazy so I took some time off from logging. My strength is really coming back though. Almost full strength on pressing mo

Still training. Just got off track with the log as I adjust my workouts at my friends home gym and the fitness center in my building. Today I attempted my 199 Rated GHP 9 for the first time ever. I di

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

100% my point. Strength is in my DNA. Just as blood flows through my veins. It’s not work to me. It’s pure pleasure .

Yep. I have a friend who calls it the “iron gene.” It’s who we are

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, IROC-Z said:

Did it slip out of your hand and injure a ligament in one of your fingers?  That's what happened to me a couple years ago.  I use extreme caution on the tips tester ever since.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Thanks! It didn’t slip. I grabbed it wrong. I should have did more research on proper technique. It was two weeks after King Kong and I didn’t prepare for it correctly which was a stupid mistake. 

Edited by Chez
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 12:57 PM, Bornintothe said:

Sorry to hear you weren’t able to complete this cert in 2018 Chez! 2019 has got to be the year you nail this. All the best in your recovery. 

Somehow I missed this post. Thanks for the kind words buddy. I actually went to a doctor today for a second opinion and it was way more positive than the first so it was good news day and picked my spirits up.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Climber028
13 minutes ago, Chez said:

Somehow I missed this post. Thanks for the kind words buddy. I actually went to a doctor today for a second opinion and it was way more positive than the first so it was good news day and picked my spirits up.

Watch it with the spirits, you booze you lose

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Watch it with the spirits, you booze you lose

Drinking wine 🍷 right now because I’m classly like that 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Bornintothe
2 hours ago, Chez said:

Somehow I missed this post. Thanks for the kind words buddy. I actually went to a doctor today for a second opinion and it was way more positive than the first so it was good news day and picked my spirits up.

That’s awesome! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The new doctor called yesterday to discuss the scan results. It went extremely well. I have to see him again in two week but Idefinitely found my doctor and I’m more confident than ever I will be back pursing the MM8 in a few months time  

Edited by Chez
Typo
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Surgery is scheduled for 2/22. Looking forward to getting it over with so I can start the long road to recovery. 

Happy with my doctor selection and I know he will help me get back to full strength 

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
EricMilfeld

Very encouraging news!

Slaying the MM8 will be a victory all the sweeter now! Good luck for a fast recovery. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish you the best of luck. Heal up fast so we can see that MM8 drop. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Donc101
4 hours ago, Chez said:

Surgery is scheduled for 2/22. Looking forward to getting it over with so I can start the long road to recovery. 

Happy with my doctor selection and I know he will help me get back to full strength 

Good luck Chez, you will be crushing it again soon.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys. Not training is already driving me crazy but I’ll focus on the long term goal to get me through the months ahead 

Link to post
Share on other sites
climber511

Are you still training the rest of your body?

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Are you still training the rest of your body?

Yep. Still training my body but I have to tweak certain things. The doctor doesn’t want me gripping barbells and dumbbells so I’m using machines for upping body and pressing with open hands on my palms. I also bought those wrist wraps with metal hooks so I can doing rowing exercises without the weight pulling on my hands.

once I have the surgery I still plan to go to the gym. I’ll do the same thing as when I tore my bicep, which is do upper body stuff with the one good hand and of course legs etc.

like I said before, im not quitting. Ill do whatever I can to keep moving forward.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chez said:

Yep. Still training my body but I have to tweak certain things. The doctor doesn’t want me gripping barbells and dumbbells so I’m using machines for upping body and pressing with open hands on my palms. I also bought those wrist wraps with metal hooks so I can doing rowing exercises without the weight pulling on my hands.

once I have the surgery I still plan to go to the gym. I’ll do the same thing as when I tore my bicep, which is do upper body stuff with the one good hand and of course legs etc.

like I said before, im not quitting. Ill do whatever I can to keep moving forward.   

Hope you get better soon.

Which hooks are you using, and are you happy with them?

I recently ruptured the extensor tendon on my right middle finger and need to have it in a splint to keep from bending most of the finger for the next 5 weeks.  Like you, no gripping with that hand, so I've been using these hooks for the last week  on chins and deads.  Anything more than bodyweight chins is no good, and anything more than 225 lbs on deadlift ends up slipping out of the hook.  I'm basically using my thumb to put as much pressure on the part of hook in my palm to keep the hook from angling out (which lets the barbell drop out of the hook).  And even then, my thumb can't hold it for more than 8 reps.  I'm looking for something that does a better job.

Edited by bdckr
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bdckr said:

Hope you get better soon.

Which hooks are you using, and are you happy with them?

I recently ruptured the extensor tendon on my right middle finger and need to have it in a splint to keep from bending most of the finger for the next 5 weeks.  Like you, no gripping with that hand, so I've been using these hooks for the last week  on chins and deads.  Anything more than bodyweight chins is no good, and anything more than 225 lbs on deadlift ends up slipping out of the hook.  I'm basically using my thumb to put as much pressure on the part of hook in my palm to keep the hook from angling out (which lets the barbell drop out of the hook).  And even then, my thumb can't hold it for more than 8 reps.  I'm looking for something that does a better job.

Thanks. Sorry to hear about your injury and hope you recover soon as well. I bought these based on reviews

https://www.amazon.com/Weight-Lifting-Power-Training-Straps/dp/B07921M7YC

I’m still getting use to them. The most I’m used them for is 185 lb deadlifts. It’s kind of a weird feeling being pulled on from the wrist. I plan on experimenting with more weight soon. Nothing has slipped from them so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks.  Will be interested in knowing how it does with heavier weights..  Looking at the picture, I wonder if you'll run into the same problem that I'm having -- because of the splint, I can't do much (any) wrist flexion into the hook/bar.  Because the inside length of the hook (as opposed to the free end) is so short on my hook (like it is on the one you linked), the attached part pushes out my palm as the weight gets heavier, meaning the free end opens up.  Hope that description makes sense?

I'm considering buying a different style where the hook 's attached end is longer, so it will be more stable and note rotate open, but I hate the idea of spending more on something that (hopefully) is only necessary for a few weeks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Chez, not being too much around makes me miss things! Damn irritating injury! Hope recovery goes well after surgery! sorry to hear of this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2019 at 8:07 PM, bdckr said:

Thanks.  Will be interested in knowing how it does with heavier weights..  Looking at the picture, I wonder if you'll run into the same problem that I'm having -- because of the splint, I can't do much (any) wrist flexion into the hook/bar.  Because the inside length of the hook (as opposed to the free end) is so short on my hook (like it is on the one you linked), the attached part pushes out my palm as the weight gets heavier, meaning the free end opens up.  Hope that description makes sense?

I'm considering buying a different style where the hook 's attached end is longer, so it will be more stable and note rotate open, but I hate the idea of spending more on something that (hopefully) is only necessary for a few weeks.

Swedish Strongman Fredrik Johansson lifted 300kg with a strap around his shoulder, perhaps it could be something for you guys?

There's more movies in his instragram on his setup.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Geralt said:

Hey Chez, not being too much around makes me miss things! Damn irritating injury! Hope recovery goes well after surgery! sorry to hear of this. 

Thanks Geralt. Injuries are annoying. I came back stronger from the last one though so I’ll try to do the same this time. I’ll take it as an opportunity to rededciate myself and focus on my goals.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.