Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

That totally makes sense. I wish I trained more CCS width stuff early on myself. If you're gonna compete though you want a perfect set. Try setting it the way you do and when you get close to MMS give it a quick "hit" with the setting hand to drive it right down to parallel.

Hey Sean. If I do the thumbscrews first in the workout the 2 reds is very easy and I use it as a warm up. I always like to warm up every workout to get the blood flowing. If I do it at the end of my pinch workout I use it as a finisher since my hands are already fried. I also do them while facing the Vulcan down at my side with one hand instead of resting the vulcan on its side to really mimic plate pinching and pinching on the Euro. This also takes the advantage of gravity out of the equation. I really neglected my thumbs at the start of this log by only training grippers so my thumbs are also very far behind. You should definitely move up in resistance if your doing it as your first working exercise.

Great Gripper workout this afternoon with my friend. I asked him to come over to get me pumped up because adrenaline makes a huge difference.

Right Hand

Warm Up

COC #1 = 10 parallel reps

COC #2 = 3 parallel reps

COC #2.5 = 1 parallel rep

COC #3 = 1 parallel rep

Working

BBE = 1 MMS close

MM3 replica MMS Attempt = Getting closer! Video below.

COC #3 = 1.75 inch CCS Close (also in the video below).

BBE = 1 MMS close

MM1 replica = 1.5 inch CCS close

MM1 replica = 1.5 inch CCS close

BBE = 1 MMS rep

BBE = 1 MMS rep

MM1 Replica = 3 MMS reps

BBE = 1 MMS rep

MM1 replica = 2 MMS reps

Left Hand

Warm up

COC #2 = 3 parallel reps

Working

MM1 replica = 1 MMS rep. In video below

MM1 replica = 1 MMS rep.

MM1 replica = failed MMS rep

COC #3 = 1 MMS rep

COC #3 = 1 MMS rep

COC #3 = failed MMS rep

GHP 7 = 1 MMS rep

BBGM = 1 MMS rep

BBGM = 1 MMS rep

BBGM = 1 MMS rep

Note = Grippers are really coming along.

Here is the video of today's best efforts =

. My friend is not a great camera man :(.

Dude, that is scary strong!

Thanks bro. The real scary thing was hearing me grunt like a nut job during the MM3 attempt. I forgot to get rid of the original video audio before adding the music so you can hear it faintly over the music if you listen closely. haha :blush

Lol, I didn't hear it. Coach always said if you ain't making a noise you ain't trying hard enough.

Thick bar and wrist training today. Woke up with soreness in my neck. I must have slept in a weird position.

Rolling Thunder

Warm Up

104 lbs = 8 reps right and left hand

129 lbs = 3 reps right and left hand

Working

Singles

154 lbs = Good lift right and left

156.5 lbs = Good lift right and left

159 lbs = Good lift right and left

161.5 lbs = Good lift right and left

164 lbs = Good lift left hand, air but no lock with the right. Feeling a little soreness in my right wrist so I decided to call it quits with the right.

166.5 lbs = Good lift left

169 lbs = Fail left

Dumbbell deadlift and hold with fat gripz

85 lbs each hand = held as long as possible

106 lbs each hand = held as long as possible

106 lbs each hand = held as long as possible

Levering (little lighter this week to protect the wrist)

12.5 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps both right and left

Supination/pronation (again going lighter)

12.5 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps both right and left

Note - Signed up for the MM1 off hand. Can't wait to give it a shot. The good news is that my replica feels harder to me than the actual MM1 and I have been closing my replica for 2-3 singles a workout. I just gotta make sure I'm fresh when it comes.

Since my right wrist has been acting up lately, I decided to take the last 2 days off and what a difference it made. My wrist feels much better and my right hand was strong today. I had an off day lefty though. oh well, I'm going to focus on the positive results with the right hand. My right CCS felt great today and I'm making progress with my strength at this wide distance.

Right Hand

Warm up

COC #2 = 3 CCS reps

COC #2.5 =1 CCS rep

Working

Full CCS

GHP 7 = 1 CCS rep! Closed with authority. I felt the handles touch.

BBGM = 1 CCS rep

GHP 7 = 1 CCS rep

GHP 7 = 1 CCS rep. This is giving me a lot of confidence since this gripper is close to my COC #3. I still feel my COC #3 is a little harder though since the GHP is so smooth and I have never cleaned my #3.

1.5 inch CCS

MM1 replica = 1.5 inch CCS close no problems.

MMS

BBE = 1 MMS close

BBE = 1 MMS close

BBE = 1 MMS close

CCS

Vulcan V2 Level 11 = 3 CCS reps just for a finisher

Left Hand

Warm up

COC #2 = 3 CCS reps

COC #2.5 =1 CCS rep

Working

MMS

COC #2.5 = 1 MMS rep

COC #3 = 1 MMS rep

COC #3 = Failed MMS rep. Feeling soreness in my left wrist now. :angry2:. Hopefully it bounces back like right since the MM1 off cert is coming up.

BBGM = 1 MMS rep

BBGM = 1 MMS rep

BBGM = 1 MMS rep

COC #2.5 = 1 MMS rep

RB 240 = 1 MMS rep

RB 240 = 1 MMS rep

RB 240 = 1 MMS rep

GNC 200 = 3 MMS reps

Note - I played several full court games of basketball Thursday night and lifted legs so my legs are so freaking sore. I'm walking around like a 90 year old man. I might hit pinch tomorrow if my legs heal up.

sounds like you might be getting ready for the IM cert. any idea when you plan to try that? a goal gripper you want to close first?

I have been thinking about that. I was thinking about a few options. I could get my grippers rated by a board member and see where my #3 comes in at. If its a hard one maybe I would concentrate on getting at least 2 CCS singles on it. I could wait until I can get my MM1 CCS. I could try to buy or borrow a gripper already rated in the high 150s. I'm not sure. I'm curious to hear suggestions and what people think is the best idea. What do you think Brent?

I think if you had some people around for the adrenaline factor, you could close the 3 ccs. You are getting really strong, bro!

Also, try soaking your hands and wrists in cool water mixed with epson salts. I have been doing it the past 2 weeks, and has helped a ton. My wrists were swollen from all the arm wrestling and grip work, and the salt baths helped bring the swelling down and maybe helped with recovery. I do10 minutes on each arm before bed. I hope it helps.

I am going for a #3 mms today. I will post a video later on.

I think I have some grippers in the ball park of what you would be looking for. let me check tonight.

I think if you had some people around for the adrenaline factor, you could close the 3 ccs. You are getting really strong, bro!

Also, try soaking your hands and wrists in cool water mixed with epson salts. I have been doing it the past 2 weeks, and has helped a ton. My wrists were swollen from all the arm wrestling and grip work, and the salt baths helped bring the swelling down and maybe helped with recovery. I do10 minutes on each arm before bed. I hope it helps.

I am going for a #3 mms today. I will post a video later on.

Thanks Sean. Adrenaline makes a huge difference. I was so pumped up during the Durinat comp that the gripper closes felt easy. Definitely gotta try soaking my hands to make sure they stay healthy as I keep pushing the envelope. Can't wait to see your vid. I'm rooting for you bud.

i only own 2 #3's and my harder one is still just a little easier than my GHP7.. base on the way you are smashin' that GHP7, i think your ready man. and i definately think your ready if you have some boys there to cheer you on.

word.

Thanks Tommy. I'm going to keep training hard. I want to be absolutely confident before I sign up. Based on how the MM1 and MM2 have felt, the grippers at the Durniat comp and my GHP 7, I would guess my #3 is above average. I'm going to buckle down though because I want my name on that list so bad. I hit pinch today. Light session. I didn't push myself too hard since I have been going hard for weeks and figure I need to hold back every now and then to avoid over training. Been feeling wrist and forearm soreness and I have to listen to body.

Loadable Blob

Warm up

16.5 lbs = 5 lifts right and 5 lifts left

26.5 lbs = 3 lifts right and 3 lifts left

Working Singles

29.5 lbs = Good lift right and left

32 lbs = Good lift right and left

34 lbs = Good lift right and left

36.5 lbs = Good lift right and left

39.5 lbs = Good lift right and left

Ghetto Hub (two 1.25 lb plates stacked as hub surface)

Working singles

35 lbs = Good lift right and left

40 lbs = Good lift right and left

45 lbs = Good lift right and left

Vulcan V2 Thumbscrews

2 Red IM bands top notches = 1 set of 10 reps both right and left

2 reds and 1 white IM band on top notches = 2 sets of 10 reps both right and left

I forgot to check last night. got distracted by dinner and falling asleep on the coach. I will say that last spring when I was thinking about doing the cert I ordered a new #3. it was 5# easier than my old one that hed been getting used for years. I would ask around. usually someone has an idea what the #3's a rating at right now. that would help give you an idea as well.

I have a #3 at 150# and an rb 300 @ 170#. nothing in between. I can loan you either if it would help.

I have a #3 at 150# and an rb 300 @ 170#. nothing in between. I can loan you either if it would help.

Thanks Brent. I'm going to rest up and give my #3 a shot CCS either Sunday or Monday. I haven't tried in a while. I wanna see how that goes first. If I miss it, I would like to try your 150 #3 to see where I stand with a rated gripper. I'll let you know. Really appreciate the offer man. Do you rate the grippers yourself or send them to someone on the board?

Chez, do you know anything about the springs used over the years in the #3? There is a #3 from 2002 that I am looking at, and I thought the springs were a bit softer then. Any input? (It's a double stamp, the model before the current one)

Edited by iamsean11

Chez, do you know anything about the springs used over the years in the #3? There is a #3 from 2002 that I am looking at, and I thought the springs were a bit softer then. Any input? (It's a double stamp, the model before the current one)

Sorry Sean. I don't know much about that. My #3 is around 4+ years old and the only one I have tried. Mighty Joe would probably know. You should try sending him a PM. That guy owns more grippers than anyone I know and seems to know a lot about them.

all my grippers have been done by chris rice. he's also done all the grippers that were at andrews.

When I compare my for instance MM2 replica with my IM#3, I notice the spread of the IM is just wider. Maybe the MM2 is harder in the close, but since I can

set it in a more advantageous position, a CCS on that thing would be maybe more 'easy' than with my IM#3. When I let the CC go through, the backhandle always slips backwards and I have to almost fully stretch my fingers, so when performing the close, my fingers just stop haulin' in at the last final mm's. I think for

myself that maybe training MMS isn't the thing to do, but more working full range....it's getting a bit frustrating sometimes quite frankly.

I remember a post on the David Horne forum in which was mentioned that when you can CCS the Vulcan at level 14/15 you should be able to practically crush

any #3 in certification. That's my goal for now. I don't want to take the risk in going for the cert and still ending up with a 'freak' #3 and miss the attempt.

I WILL get it though. Mind you, closing the #3 CCS is still a very strong thing to do, we sometimes tend to forget that. In my opinion, and with no disrespect to former #3 certers the 'old' way, I saw some vids on youtube of guys certifiying on the #3 years back, and those closes were just MMS closes and sometimes deeper, but certainly no dominating CCS/TNS closes. It's not without reason that the number of people who certified drasticaly dropped when the rules changed.

We'll get it bro. You a bit earlier than me I know haha I'm just getting back up after a few days of stomach flu pfff lost a few kg's!

When I compare my for instance MM2 replica with my IM#3, I notice the spread of the IM is just wider. Maybe the MM2 is harder in the close, but since I can

set it in a more advantageous position, a CCS on that thing would be maybe more 'easy' than with my IM#3. When I let the CC go through, the backhandle always slips backwards and I have to almost fully stretch my fingers, so when performing the close, my fingers just stop haulin' in at the last final mm's. I think for

myself that maybe training MMS isn't the thing to do, but more working full range....it's getting a bit frustrating sometimes quite frankly.

I remember a post on the David Horne forum in which was mentioned that when you can CCS the Vulcan at level 14/15 you should be able to practically crush

any #3 in certification. That's my goal for now. I don't want to take the risk in going for the cert and still ending up with a 'freak' #3 and miss the attempt.

I WILL get it though. Mind you, closing the #3 CCS is still a very strong thing to do, we sometimes tend to forget that. In my opinion, and with no disrespect to former #3 certers the 'old' way, I saw some vids on youtube of guys certifiying on the #3 years back, and those closes were just MMS closes and sometimes deeper, but certainly no dominating CCS/TNS closes. It's not without reason that the number of people who certified drasticaly dropped when the rules changed.

We'll get it bro. You a bit earlier than me I know haha I'm just getting back up after a few days of stomach flu pfff lost a few kg's!

We are definitely going to get it. I set no time limit on this goal. I don't care how long it takes. I have fun training so it makes the time fly. The CCS rule and new gripper out of the package really makes it a whole new ball game. That is reflected in the certification list. Since the year that the rule was established, the number of guys certing has drastically reduced. Even though CCS is frustrating, I kind of like it. It makes it so that a person really has to dominate the gripper. The accomplishment will feel that much sweeter.

Continuing to work on my gripper CCS power today. My right wrist and forearm felt good and my left better.

Right Hand

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 Parallel reps

COC #2 = 3 CCS reps

COC # 2.5 = 1 CCS rep

Working

GHP 7 = 1 CCS close. Video below. Not as convincing as last workout but I fought through and got it. Its always harder getting closes on video.

GHP 7 = 1 CCS close.

BBGM = 1 CCS close

MM1 replica = one 1.5 inch CCS close

BBE = 1 MMS close

BBE = 1 MMS close

BBE = 1 MMS close

BBE = failed mms attempt. hand is getting fried.

Left Hand

Warm up

COC #2 = 3 parallel reps

Working

MM1 replica = 1 MMS close

MM1 replica = 1 MMS close

COC #3 = 1 MMS close

COC #3 = 1 MMS close

COC #3 = 1 MMS close

BBGM = 1 MMS close

BBGM = 1 MMS close

BBGM = 1 MMS close

BBGM = 1 MMS close

COC #2.5 = 3 parallel reps

GHP 7 CCS close from above:

Note - Going to lift chest and tris at the gym. Since I have been grip training my overall body strength has really improved. I'm pushing a lot of weight in the gym. My grip on bars and dumbbells feels much better and it lets me man handle weights.

Edited by Chez

My gripper strength was off the charts today. I have no idea what it was but I felt crazy strong. Since today was my off-hand MM1 Cert, I trained TSG around the cert attempts.

Right Hand

Warm Up

COC #2 = 3 parallel reps

COC #2.5 = 1 CCS rep

Working

GHP 7 = 1 CCS rep. That felt really easy. It was smooth and I didn't have to shuffle the gripper in my hand like the close I posted the other day.

COC #3 = My first CCS Close! I wasn't even going to try this today but the GHP 7 close felt so easy I had to go for it. Video of the close below.

GHP 7 = 1 easy CCS close

GHP 7 = 1 easy CCS close

GHP 7 = 1 easy CCS close

MM1 relpica = 1.75 inch ccs close

BBE = failed 1.5 inch ccs attempt. just missed.

BBE = MMS close

MM1 = 1.5 inch ccs close

MM1 = 1.5 inch ccs close

GHP 7 = 9 parallel reps

Left Hand

Warm up

COC #2 = 2 parallel reps

Working

MM1 cert attempts = I took all 3 attempts and sent them to Bill. Lets just say I feel confident.

- At this point I had to run to a doctors appointment so I decided to finished when I got back. I warmed up my left hand again as soon as I got back.

COC #3 = 1 MMS rep

COC #3 = 1 MMS rep

COC #3 = 1 MMS rep

COC #3 = 1 MMS rep

GHP 7 = 1 MMS rep

GHP 7 = 1 MMS rep

GHP 7 = 1 MMS rep

COC #2.5 = 9 mms reps

COC #3 CCS close video:

Note: just a great day. Now I got make it so that a #3 CCS is really easy before I sign up for the cert.