Road To Coc#4 - Time To Get This Done!

Paul Savage

• Like 2

17 hours ago, rjackson said:

Good luck Rebecca! 

[For your next competition could you use a new title that reflects your meet e.g. European Grip Champs?  Sometimes I don't check the forum and had a hard time finding your posts.]

She says thank you. It's really easy to follow, you simply search savage gainz on YouTube and subscribe to the channel. You can also become friends with her on facebook which is Becca Leanne Roberts, or follow her athlete page. We will soon be getting an Instagram started also. Next competition is local strongman/woman contest in July.

Edited by Paul Savage
  • Like 1

Dude you sure bulked up, whoaa! Looking mean and strong sir. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys

The results were 2nd place in +105kg for me and 1st place women's for Becca. We both didn't lift as much as we maybe could, had a good amount of very near missed but a lot of time between warm ups and the attempts made it a touch difficult to do your best. I wanted 85kg on the brutalizer going in, which I almost got, actually got the down signal but drop'd it, Vulcan i did level 20 and felt like I could do 10-15 reps but I just couldn't set anything heavier right so it didn't happen, pinch block I managed to do the most in warm up but I think possibly the 45kg I tried was over weight as they were doing the calibrated weights after. Maybe not but 42.5kg was very very easy so I felt for sure I would lift 45kg but drop'd it at lockout twice. Silver bullet was a really wide #3 and could tell from the times that it was a hard one which for sure it was, got 36 seconds. Meat hook I decided to be a bit more conservative as kept feeling like I could lift more then missing so went 240, 260, 270, 280kg all good lifts. Had a bit more in the tank here but I new eirik could beat the record so I played safe. Eirik was very strong all around. World records were broken on 3 out of the 5 events. 95kg brutalizer (this has double ball bearings so it spins fast), 47.85kg blockbuster and 300kg meat hook. Really high standard.

With Becca the aim was 57.5kg brutalizer but she already got the world record at 55kg and wanted to go 60kg, which unfortunately she drop'd at lockout. Vulcan she only managed 7 and 7 on orange spring, messed the set up on the first attempt and missed so had to go down to make sure of event win. Blockbuster she did 28.4kg in warm ups easy, opened up at 30kg but when weighed was 29.2kg (again think some of the weights were up or down), she got that for new world record, then bettered it with 31.4kg. Less than in training but lot of variables on this like the person before her doing many failed attempt possibly taking chalk off the block and time waiting after warm ups. Still big increase to the record. Silver bullet again seemed like a hard #2 from when I squuezed it after comp, so Becca only got 12 seconds but that was the best time. Meat hook all the girls were so strong so this took a bit of grit and weight selection to win but she managed to win with 177.5kg, which was great as that was a pb. Overall she won every event so really happy.

• Like 4

Cheers guys

2 hours ago, Royz said:

Congrats to you both!

Very very solid lifts. I think Eirik is a hard one to beat for sure.

Thanks. Yeah I think he's 4 time world champion over different feds. Very strong and also very nice, all of his family and the people of Norway were great. We had a brilliant time.

• Like 1

Ok so the plan now is to do the whea world grip championships on September 10th. For Becca the plan is actually do the worlds strongest woman contest the same federation is putting on the day before, and then do the world grip champion the following day. Doing this she will be attempting to do something possibly unprecedented, winning two world championships in two different strength sports one day after the other. 

For me this is a huge challenge in terms of my coaching. There is zero room for error and a lot of things have to go perfectly. For Becca it is a huge physical challenge in terms of the training required and an even bigger mental challenge as of course she will be very sore and tired for the world grip championships and will have to block out the pain and push through. I feel it's possible she can win both but this is a very very hard goal.

For me I am now training full time and am very motivated to be the best in the world in grip. The events are silver bullet (#4), blockbuster, hub, axle for reps and one hand deadlift using hook grip. I will be at my very best for this competition.

• Like 2