Steve Razor Rau Training 720lbs. Bench Dips

G-Man

That's some massive tricep power.

In my own personal experience, although I'm about 1/20th as strong as Razor, the bench dips hit the triceps MUCH more than regular bodyweight dips, or weighed dips on parallel bars. I believe it's because of the torso angle... the hips are usually behind the shoulders in regular dips, but in bench dips they're in front of the shoulders and I felt I used much less pectorals on those bench dips.

720#.... just wow!

I would have ostrich-style backwards knees if I tried that. Before they even took out the box. Seems unnecessary?

^This. My legs would snap like matchsticks if I tried that nonsense! Razor turned in another badass World's performance getting 2nd this year and beating Ruslan in one of the most surprising moments of the event.

Like others have already said, I would have some major concerns about knee hyperextension.

Very impressive display of triceps strength, though!

Razor is an EXTREMELY POWERFUL arm wrestler!

I'd be interested to see biggest ring dips!

I too would have expected more than a 130# SINGLE in a weighed chin-up from a guy as powerful on the table as Razor.

Why not just use a good dip machine and load THAT up. Seems very dangerous on all respects.

I too would have expected more than a 130# SINGLE in a weighed chin-up from a guy as powerful on the table as Razor.

This was my initial reaction too but that's the strictest weighted pull-up I've seen over 100#. Also, it's my understanding that Brzenk can't do a OAP so while a lot of AW are good at pull-ups, it doesn't necessarily reflect AW ability.

jad: you're right, I've actually given it some thought in the past, when one day I concluded that horizontall pulling (ie barbell or DB rows) doesn't mean you've vertical pulling strength (weighed chins). Maybe AW'ers should be training more horizontal pulling anyways, since that more closely resembles the upper arm possition when AW'ing. At no point are they even close to having their arms overhead and pulling from there. Just an opinion though. Razor's chin-up was great, I just expected more weight for a 1RM from such a beast. Maybe he doesn't train them that often, who knows.

jad: you're right, I've actually given it some thought in the past, when one day I concluded that horizontall pulling (ie barbell or DB rows) doesn't mean you've vertical pulling strength (weighed chins). Maybe AW'ers should be training more horizontal pulling anyways, since that more closely resembles the upper arm possition when AW'ing. At no point are they even close to having their arms overhead and pulling from there. Just an opinion though. Razor's chin-up was great, I just expected more weight for a 1RM from such a beast. Maybe he doesn't train them that often, who knows.

I've found most gym stuff, even the AW "favorites" you hear about (hammer curls, chins, etc..) to have very little transfer to pulling. Grip training seems to be the exception but again if you specifically work your hand/wrist at practice/on the table, all the grip stuff in the world won't simulate that. IMO any curling or pulling movements need to be done like Devon does with the locked arm moving through a ROM and even performed like that they are VERY distant second to pulling. A good prehab program for rotator cuffs and straight arm pressdowns to fix the weakspot I felt in my lat in a hook, have been the two most useful gym movements for me. Neither is exciting nor do they make good videos.

Straight arm pressdowns? Interesting! This immediately made me think of gymnasts and AW. They are of course very strong, specially in their weight class, and would make for decent AW'ers in some cases. I think the Front Lever possition mimics a straight arm pressdown and you do most of the work with your humerous bone close to where it would be in an AW match. Gymnasts find this possition a piece of cake of course. In case you don't know what it is see this picture: http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Wep6AyDEn5KdvM:http://gymnasticscoaching.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/RingTraining-lever.jpg&t=1

One question, as I have never done those pulldowns: where is the toughest part of the ROM? Is it when the handle is overhead, or is getting it to touch your body the hardest?

I do them on a cable stack and start at chest/shoulder level or with a band starting at chest/shoulder level. For me, I usually fail as I get closer to the body but I don't know if that's due to fatigue or if it's actually harder (stack, obviously the band gets harder the closer you get). I feel in more in my elbow through the first half and lat and subscap for the second half.

That position looks like it would require killer ab and low back strength with the pressdown being more of an afterthought.

That position looks like it would require killer ab and low back strength with the pressdown being more of an afterthought.

It does!! Specially the abs. But with weak lats the angle between the torso and the arm would open up! But yeah, to elite guys this is nothing, and they crank out a couple of "pull ups" in this possition (more like horizontal body row).

I think you'll like the video I'm about to link in the Strentgh & Power section, by the way.

Not impressed, I bet i could do that, without getting hurt, i just dont understand what good it would do.

Steve dipped about 10-12" down. He should have used the 2 rebook steps set high enough for him (for safety) instead of a bench. If any thing goes wrong he would be so close to the ground already.

too much showboating to me if his bone would of snapped that would make lifting look bad again or still .like you already heard when you were younger from your parents you gonna get hurt its gonna stunt your growth im with rico300zx its like a party trick no one can duplicate the exact lift or would want too