Help for rolling thunder contest

austinslater

Hi guys, I have a rolling thunder contest coming up in april and would love some help on to train for it. Currently I am doing 2 days a wk with the COC's and a third day with thick bar deadlifts. I will be ordering a rolling thunder real soon. Any ideas how to keep training everything else while focusing on the rolling thunder? Thanks in advance your help is greatly appreciated. Austin

Grip training is pretty focused.  I'd focus on the RT and other exercises that compliment it.  That the contest in Spokane?  If so I may go to that one.  If Corey St. Clair shows up itll be tuff competition as he recently did an easy 240.

I asked JV Askem the same question when I was all hot and heavy over the RT.  He suggested heavy lifts on a non-rotating handle to get the hand used to the heavier weights.  Use different diameter handles also (2.5, 3, etc).  Any exercises that strengthen the thumb would be good also, but I'd just stick to heavy thick bar lifting (rack holds using various hand positions, DLs, etc).  You can easily make non rotating handles w/pvc and chain (the pvc is slick tho, maybe some athletic tape around it).

Check out my buddies site

www.juliehavelka.com/northweststrongman.html

Its got all the NW records for RT, grippers etc.  He'll have the contest info up as it gets closer.  He's the Oregon certifier for COC so give him a ring when you get the 3 done.

If you're close and interested he and his girlfriend now have an indoor strongman club.  They have all of their training equipment (stones, tires, ropes, etc etc) indoors to train through the winter.

Morgan

Also, drop Corey St. Clair a line (his website is www.bodybuilding.com/fun/coreyfitness.htm)  He has some really strong hands (Inch lifter, coc, rt, etc) and probably could give you some great training tips.  Dont forget Steve Gardener, Chris James and others.  Also, Tom Black's site has an article/training logs on thickbar stuff.

As you probably already know thickbar lifting generally favors those w/big hands.  If I remember right from a previous post you have some respectable body lifts.  RT is pretty much a hand strength event.  If you dont have large/long hands you're gonna have to really work hard.

Good luck and maybe I'll see ya there,

Morgan