Finally managed this one

Jonathan McMillan

Yesterday, I finally managed to do a clean and press with my 35lb block weights simutaneously in both hands.  Prior to this I've had to focus on one arm at a time or I couldn't grip tight enough to hold the blocks.

Jon@han

Opps!  I was daydreaming about my next goal while posting it was 30 not 35lb!  They are Hex dumbell blockweights, I've been unable to locate york's in my immeadiate area.  I also picked up my 30's without chalking on Monday which is also a big improvement.

Everyday I train with blocks I kick myself in the butt for not making the effort to make some sooner!!!

Jon@han

Try keep'n yer arms straight through the clean & over yer head don't bend them at all.& also try doing it with just 2 fingers if u don't have any heavier one's. U can toss them from hand 2 hand & chatch them with how ever many fingers u want.GO 4 IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the tips gripper...there's no way I can do a straight arm with the 30's yet.  I do this with my 20's as well as the overhand catching that Brookfield described.  Haven't tried the 2 finger stunts yet.

:D

Jon@han

• 2 weeks later...

I know how you feel, I'm not that good with blocks either. I have a couple of 25 York blocks. I can lift 'em with 2 fingers, but when it comes to tossin I use the whole hand. I haven't tried to clean them with the arms straight, I'll have to take 'em outside for that. I've noticed chalk is important otherwise moisture builds up and I can't get my fingers to stay put with the York style block.

-HH

Does anyone need any 25 pound York blocks? Give me a shout if ya do....

• 2 weeks later...

Gripper!!!!!!! I managed to do some straight arms with my 30's yesterday. 3 singles, one arm at a time. Don't have the will force to do them simutaneously yet. To be honest my right hand grip is a little weaker in this so my right arm is slightly bent. But just a few weeks ago I would have thought it was impossible for me!

Jon@han

Jonathan,

For added fun, while still lifting them... twist and turn them around to see if you can still hold onto them! This really works your thumbs!! :cool

Sybersnott,

Thanks for that little tidbit!!!! I think it'll be a while before I can post that I was successful in lifting the blocks with a straight arm to overhead while twisting them...but it sounds like a great thing to try!!!

Jon@han

• 4 weeks later...

I've built up the strength/will power enough that I can lift the 30's straight arm to overhead 6-7 times so yesterday I went and shelled out the big dough for a 70lb hex dumbell. Spent forever cutting one end off (my hacksaw blade is as dull as a comb) so today I played with it. Can deadlift it easily and managed some cleans and presses with the full bend at the arm -it'll be a while before I can straight arm this monster and some more time before I can do them with both arms simutaneously!!

Jon@han

Nice job with the hex. It will be about 3-4 months b-4 I do any block's

with my right hand.The Dr. said it would take that long for my shoulder to be at full strength. :(

"GOD IS THE REAL POWER" Tommy.......

Gripper,

That's gotta be irritating...I wonder how these sports stars are able to get back into training so quickly after surgery/injurys???

Jon@han

How different are block weights made using York DBs and those made using hex DBs? If I train on hex will I be unable to lift a York? Just wondering (I haven't seen York DBs in my town).

The hex db's have flat sides, the york's flare out so it makes them wider. You might not be able to do the same weight on the york's.

York blocks are signifigantly harder to lift. Brookfield wrote that as a general rule you can pinch about twice the weight of the heaviest York block you can lift. For example, if you can lift the 50lb. York blob you can probably pinch about 100lbs.

-HH