Wrist Roller

lloyd80s

I've been using a home made wrist roller and enjoy using it but it's not suspended so I'm limited to how much weight I can use. I'm thinking of making a proper set up with a suspended bar but I thought I'd ask this first-

Has anyone used a wrist roller and noticed any carry over in gripper strength or seen a increase in forearm size after using one as these are my current objectives?

using it properly im sure you can gain a half inch in about 3 months time, just keep adding weight

If you dont care about your concrete or grass just let a weight drag on the ground towards you, thats the cheap mans anwser to using more weight, you may have to brace yourself when the weights get real heavy.

Just be careful I used 2'' one which could of been the problem but the top of my hand's started hurting but I was going real heavy. :D

Hand size will be a factor because, at least at the start, the hands supporting the movement will cause a lot of stress on the supporting structures of the hand and wrist itself. After this subsides you can start really doing them and really feeling it in external hand musculature (the forearm muscles, sorry...).

But if a guy has smaller hands and is working heavier on a 2" pipe this is a lot of stress in the hand. For me, the 2" feels best now, but I have larger hands.

Been using one consistently(3-5times weekly) for about a month now. Definitely see gains in forearm size. Like Matt said blew em right up.. But.. I cant say the same for strength. I have only been testing my crushing strength lately though so it could be different with a different facet of grip strength like pinching/support.

Where is a good place to buy one of these? Or do you guys just make them yourself?

pda, fbbc, look up to the right the sponsor ads

Personally I don't think wrist roller is as good as dumbell wrist curls or cable wrist curls. I also used to do them several times a week but didn't see much strength increase - too easy to cheat with a fixed implement. As for crushing strength I got really strong in the crush when I started using the formulator - both extension and flexion. I could even close the #3 no set when my forearms were all blown up from a formulator workout. I still don't know why the increase in strength happened - it defies logic - but I think it had to do with increasing my wrist flexibility on the top of my wrist (used to be really bad).

Personally I don't think wrist roller is as good as dumbell wrist curls or cable wrist curls. I also used to do them several times a week but didn't see much strength increase - too easy to cheat with a fixed implement. As for crushing strength I got really strong in the crush when I started using the formulator - both extension and flexion. I could even close the #3 no set when my forearms were all blown up from a formulator workout. I still don't know why the increase in strength happened - it defies logic - but I think it had to do with increasing my wrist flexibility on the top of my wrist (used to be really bad).

thats good to know right there...

Im gonna start mixing it up now wrist roller and dumbell wrist curls

thanks

I'm pretty much in agreeance with Chris and Wade on the strength side of the discussion. I'm unable to note any substantial strength gains that I could attribute to the increased use of the wrist roller.

Size.

Conditioning.

The other guy that I'm training with that had some grip stuff over the years and enjoys doing the wrist roll has noticably large forearms. A strong grip as well, but as far as I can tell he's just got big stong hands on him naturally.

I believe Kinney did a type of wrist roller, when training for the #4.

I noticed a good carryover doing very heavy 2"wrist rollers for the Inch DB. Didn't notice it helping on grippers though.

The higher repetition work can increase capillaries but not when done heavy enough to shut down blood flow too quickly. I have noticed an increase in work capacity and recovery from the wrist roller, wrist curls, Formulator, Climber Curl etc. I think flushing a large amount of blood through your lower arm can be a healthy idea. I don't think it will have much of a direct carryover but perhaps an indirect one over time. I don't view it as much of a "strength" movement any more like I used to but more like therapy done for a pump.

Any wrist work that is heavy enough will eventually carry over to other aspects of grip as well, but in the short term I've found that wrist work absolutely kills my crush.

Any wrist work that is heavy enough will eventually carry over to other aspects of grip as well, but in the short term I've found that wrist work absolutely kills my crush.

When you say "kills your crush" do you mean it makes you waker in crush? If wrist roller is going to make me weaker in crush then I'm not touching it :angry:

I found heavy wrist rolling to be the single best exercise for grip wrist and forearms. It helped in all aspects of grip, and developed the forearms. If I only did one exercise for grip it would be heavy wrist rolling.

I've never used a wrist roller but I'm hitting wrist curls and reverse wrist curls hard twice a week.

Would you guys say the wrist roller is more effective for strength and/or size? than wrist curls?

When you say "kills your crush" do you mean it makes you waker in crush? If wrist roller is going to make me weaker in crush then I'm not touching it :angry:

Yes, it does make the crush weaker, but as I said that's only a short term effect that can be taken care of with the right training at the right time when you want to peak on grippers. The thing is that is hard to develop strength you never had, but once you've had it it is way easier to get that peak strength back. So wrist roller is not going to make you permanantly weaker on the crush. I hope this cleared your confusion. :)

Yes, it does make the crush weaker, but as I said that's only a short term effect that can be taken care of with the right training at the right time when you want to peak on grippers. The thing is that is hard to develop strength you never had, but once you've had it it is way easier to get that peak strength back. So wrist roller is not going to make you permanantly weaker on the crush. I hope this cleared your confusion. :)

Ok Thanks Temmu,

I'm going to give them a go and see how it goes. If my wrists get stronger then it can't be a bad thing for gripping in the future :D

I have the floor standing 2 inch roller that Warren Tetting sells. I have gained about an inch of size from it, though I do a variety of other things that probably have contributed to it. I have gained quite a lot of strength from it, especially rolling it toward me, and feel that this is the reason I have had no elbow, forearm or wrist/finger injuries to speak of.

As far as taking something away from your crush work, use a roller at the conclusion of your crush work, and really pound it in a workout later in the week, such as after deadlifts, squats, etc.

If you make your own standing unit, use at least a 2 inch bar if you really want to work the wrist/grip.

If you want to buy one, Tetting would probably give you a deal if you called him directly, rather than ordering from someone else carrying his stuff.

Let us know how it works out!

I scored a deal today and picked up the IM Twist Yo' Wrist for $9.95 at Play It Again Sports today. Not a bad deal considering this thing is pretty much brand new and IM sells them for $36.95. :)

pc

I scored a deal today and picked up the IM Twist Yo' Wrist for $9.95 at Play It Again Sports today. Not a bad deal considering this thing is pretty much brand new and IM sells them for $36.95. :)

pc

Heck of a deal. What do you think of it?