Irish Strength

MalachiMcMullen

Yesterday's session

EZ curls(I never swing curls of any kind!)

75x10

85x8

95x6

105x4

115x4 negatives

75x8

Laying Incline DB curls

35'sx10

40'sx10

DB curls

50'sx6

DB rows

75x10

75x10

75x10

Tried some more one handed smith machine lockouts.

230x4

300x4

230x4

(These were ridiculously easy but since my gym is cheap all the 25's-45's were in use... Yes my gym has only 20 of each that is how small they are)

Feel very very weak on grippers right now! I decided I'd do some gripper work before my deadlifts today but it stunk big time :angry:

Grippers

#2x1 wide reps(almost 2 wide reps RH, must've been sub 1/8")

2.5x1 braced close and 1 inverted attempt LH that netted me about 3/8" away

2.5x1 forced negative held near shut RH and held just past parallel inverted LH

#1x3 reps with index/middle fingers

#1x2 attempts with my ring and pinky fingers(VERY close with both hands, if my #1 weren't filed I would've gotten it I'm sure)

after some more playing around with some #2 closes and my #1 I decided it wasn't worth it today

DEADLIFT DAY!!!

Warmed up with 215x5 clean pulls and 305x3 deadlifts

365x0(my weak point is from the floor up about an inch or two, past that I gaurantee I could pull 380 if not 400lbs)

335x2(nearly 3!!! My lower back started to round when the bar was knee level and since I've dealt with the consequences of bad form before I decided it was best to drop it. This is the first time I've ever lost a deadlift after knee level)

Stiff legged deads

215x5

245x3(I started losing grip around now so I set the bar down and reset my grip each rep)

295x2

Sumo Deads

295x3

Clean pulls

215x5

215x5

215x5

Since I was feeling somewhat strong in the lower back today i decided I'd try to powerclean 215, gave it 2 go's but my best effort only got the bar to about nipple high, if only I had tried to full clean it I would've had it! My previous best is a 195 power clean.

Deadlifts... again but this time I focused on dropping my butt and using leg drive to get the bar from the floor THEN lockout my back

215x5

215x5

215x5

Wide grip chins

BWx10

BWx8

BWx10(last 2 reps came after a sub 5 sec. breather)

Bent over rows

125x8

145x8(did this one as a yates row)

155x8

DB rows

75x8

75x8

75x8

If anyone could take the time to look back at some of my grip training and tell me what I'm doing either wrong or right that would be SUPER!! I feel as though I've hit a wall again, the past week and a half have really stunk but I think there's more to it than that. I'm also going to be adding in more variety in terms of thick bar training, for those who haven't seen my "homemade inch" thread I'll be playing with that and a lighter version(MUCH lighter version) in the next few weeks.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Felt strong in a wierd way today. I went in to do alittle bit of benching(despite my shoulders, especially my rear delts, being really fatigued still) and ended up feeling really strong in pinching.

Flat bench

135x10

185x5

205x1

230x0(VERY CLOSE, stalled at 3" off my chest and all my spotter had to do is tap the bar up with his index fingers and up it went)

215x1+1 forced

195x5

175x9

Incline bench

135x5

175x3 negatives

135x5

Dips

BWx10

+45x5

+45x3

BWx10

One arm DB press

60x5 pretty strict

75x5 jerks

Index/Middle finger BB deadlifts

180x5

180x5

180x1(done with my ring and pinky)

One handed deadlifts

125x1

145x1

170x2

180x0

Wrist curls(went light today as my LH forearm started bothering me on the bench and dips)

105x10

105x10

Did some levering with a 9lb stick

Pinching(BH unless stated)

3 10'sx a bunch of cleans

3 10'sx3 deadlifts with index/middle

3 10'sx3 deadlifts with ring/pinky

2 25'sx3 deadlifts

25+10x3 deadlifts(I switch each rep so my thumb holds the 45 one rep and the 10 against the 45 next rep)

35+10x5 deadlifts

45+10x5 deadlifts

2 35'sx3 negatives+a 2 second hold RH

Could've done more pinching but the gym was closing.

I love it when people ask me what "the hell" I'm doing! This actually happens alot since I do alot of grip stuff and some strongman style stuff in a YMCA... at least once per workout actually. I usually get complimented on the "heavy" weight I'm throwing around(I wish) and its amazing how much that little bit can motivate!

Just tried bending today, oh my god i'm terrible. I have bent 1/4" stock before but most of it was from work and some wasn't even steel but I have bent 1/4" steel before a bunch of times and just now, after not training bending for the better part of a year(and a nagging pain in my RH shoulder) I'm having trouble kinking 1/4x7! I think I started to learn the technique when I started bending but I'm pretty sure I've forgotten it now. BTW, whomever cares, I was picking up a, maybe 60lb part at work and that's how I hurt my shoulder. They were stacked up under our bandsaw which has a table that sticks out and I wasn't paying attention and when I lifted the 3rd one up... BAM!!! I smacked my clavacle and trap at the same time and needless to say it really hurt.

Ok, if I'm going to be competing at the BBB3 I should start training for what I can SOOOOoooooo...

Events at the BBB3:

Grippers

Bending

Odd object loading

2" Vbar

Axle deadlift

I can't train Vbar or the axle Dl but I should be able to come up with something for at least the Vbar next week. I've got alot of rusty stock that's been in my room for far too long laying unbent, a few steel plates, and enough grippers. Here goes, first session geared towards the BBB3 and my first strength contest ever.

Today

The full gambit of levering with a 9 and 12lb balanced stick(the sticks have a cushy padding around them so they are probably more difficult than a normal solid bar).

Reverse Curls

85x8

95x1

90x1

85x6

A bit of pinching

2 25'sx3 assisted DL's(I'm not really consistent with this but I'm getting better, the plates together are about 4"+)

some double DB lifts

Tried 2HP, I haven't got a bar to add weight with but for the time being 2 45's isn't a problem at all so that's good

Wrist curls

125x10

145x5

155x1

145x2

125x8

Grippers, nothing big and no attempts, just reppage!

#1x5 NS reps

1.5x5 Parallel reps

1.5x5 Parallel reps

#2x1 20 second negative(held from closed until it opened convincingly past parallel)

1.5x3 MMS closes RH and 1 LH

#1x20 clicks RH and 17 LH

1.5x2 3 second closed holds

Very Filed Tx10second coin hold BH

And my were still pretty fatigued from the DLs and other grip training before I did any of this so hopefully that's a good sign. It'll be interesting, to me at least, to see how far I can go in one month.

good luck at the meet, hope it goes well mate!

Thanks! I hope so also!

Shouldn't have but did some more grippers today. I've got pretty good sweep strength but my closing strength absolutely stinks :erm so I'll be working on closing strength. If I explode into the 2.5 after a good warmup I can get it to within 1/4" at least twice but I have to push the dogleg handle into my palm to close it. I've closed the 2.5 from wider than parallel before, not even a month ago actually, but I'm far from consistent. So gripper-wise I will be training the way Joe Kinney and David Erives suggest(after all if you want to close big grippers why not listen to these guys?) with heavy negatives and training MMS and clicks with my 1.5.

So here it begins

2.5x2 negatives held at 3/8" until parallel

#2x1 negative held at farthest 1/4"

1.5x3 MMS singles

#1x10 parallel reps

#1x10 Parallel reps

Filed Tx20 Parallel reps

1.5x1 MMS

After this I did some brief contrast baths. I've never trained the close like I'm planning to the next month so perhaps this will get me past a 2.5 level by the BBB!

Grippers for today(more to come later!)Everything done today was MMS unless otherwise stated

1.5x10 clicks

#2x2 singles

#2x2 inverted singles(When I do inverted reps I always do the full sweep)

1.5x7 clicks

2.5x1 negative held from 3/8 until wider than parallel

2.5x1 negative held from 3/8 RH and couldn't hold below parallel LH

2.5x1 inverted negative

#2x1 30 second negative held from closed(my way of thinking on these is that I set a goal for 30 seconds and right now my goal is to let it open no more than 1/4". I'm close RH!)

1.5x8 parallel reps

#1x10 parallel reps

#1x10 clicks(these and the parallel reps were supersetted)

Finished for now.

Great workout dude!

Thanks Pete! I try... :)

I'm trying to increase the # of things I do during one workout so that come the competition I wont be so burned out after the Hercules hold, grippers and bending for the odd lifts, Vbar and axle DL. Sound good to you veteran competitors? I definitely wont be doing this every workout but at least every other one.

Today(can't quite remember everything but I'll do my best :) )

3 sets of Levering with a 9 and 12lb stick

Reverse Curls

85x8

90x2

85x8

Wrist Curls

125x10

145x2

145x2

125x10

Pinch(#'s per hand)

3 10'sx6 DL's with R/P fingers

3 10'sx6 DL's with I/M fingers

3 10'sx6 clean and presses

3 10'sx3 passes(first time doing passes around the body, difficult with a bunch of plates)

2 25'sx3 DL's(2 were assisted LH)

2 25'sx5 assisted DL's(helped only off the ground, the rest of the way up and the hold were all with 1 hand)

10+25x5 bench reps(I pick it up off the bench, touch it to the ground and bring it up without letting go until the reps are over though next time I will start from the floor like I should have this time)

10+35x5 bench reps

2HP

90lbsx5 reps

(I don't have olympic plates, I have bumper plates and a barbell to stick thru the plates to add weight but it works the thumbs really hard when the hand is supinated, think of T-bar rows but for pinch)

100x2

105x2

110x2

107.5x2

110x2

115x1

100x2

What thickness is the competition pinch setup for the US? The plates I'm using are THICK, I can't even grip 4 tens but with my middle and ring fingertips, and the 2 45's(on down so 35's & 25's also) are alittle over 3" and the 3 10's are close to 4".

I did some thinner 2HP with one 45 but didn't feel like it was working anything, pulled 110 pretty easy also.

Alternating DB Curls

40'sx12

50'sx6

45'sx10

EZ Curls

75x8

80x8

80x8

One arm rows

75x10

75x10

75x10

Hung on a pullup bar for 45 seconds with only my fingers, pretty much hook grip but my thumbs were under the bar and not touching it.

One arm DB press

70x5 pretty strict

75x5 threw maybe 60% up

60x5 strict

OHP

105x5

105x5

105x5

Dips

BWx15

BWx15

BWx15

When i got home I did 10 clicks with the 1.5 BH, MMS'd the #2 RH and closed the #2 inverted LH with alot of assistance.

Done!!!!!!

I decided earlier that I'd try something today. I didn't feel that my triceps were properly worked today(add to that I was so bloody bored :whacked ) so I went back about 2 hours later and did some benching and some more dips and it actually went pretty good because my triceps were only slightly fatigued and still warm from earlier!

Flat bench

155x8

175x5

205x3(faster than I've ever done)

235x5(none were a full 235, it went down and stalled so my spotter put his index fingers under the bar slightly and up it went. I continued on and he helped more and more until the 5th rep where I could barely lock out without his help)

205x3

185x5

135x10

Incline bench

135x8

145x5

155x3

Decline bench

155x5

185x5

215x3 forced reps

135x10

Dips

BWx10

BWx10

Now my triceps are feeling a good fatigue. I'm pretty sure I'll regret doing so much arm and gripwork before tomorrow when I do deadlifts but I need to work on my DO deadlift anyway.

Careful with the spotter help, its a viscous cycle that a lot of people get caught in. If your spotter is helping you through reps you don't get the proper feedback about where you are failing and you won't be working to correct it. Once in a while is fine though :) nice work

Careful with the spotter help, its a viscous cycle that a lot of people get caught in. If your spotter is helping you through reps you don't get the proper feedback about where you are failing and you won't be working to correct it. Once in a while is fine though :) nice work

Yeah, I see what your saying. I never let my spotters touch the bar unless i tell them to before hand or the bar goes back down in a hurry. This particular case 235 was a max attempt that turned into 5 forced reps.

Zach I think the 2HP setup is either 48, 54 or 60 mm but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Since you have small hands 48 mm might be best. You don't have olympic plates at all? They don't have to be 45s just metal plates so you're not cheating using rubber. Even if it does seem to work the thumbs hard, it's better to practice with what you'll perform with. Great workouts lately Zach!!!!! Keep it up and I hope you do well at BBB, maybe I'll see you there next year.

Zach I think the 2HP setup is either 48, 54 or 60 mm but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Since you have small hands 48 mm might be best. You don't have olympic plates at all? They don't have to be 45s just metal plates so you're not cheating using rubber. Even if it does seem to work the thumbs hard, it's better to practice with what you'll perform with. Great workouts lately Zach!!!!! Keep it up and I hope you do well at BBB, maybe I'll see you there next year.

Thanks Derek! I thought I remembered reading that the Euro setup was 54mm at one time so that could be right. I have some olympic plates but I will definitely be investing in some more and a trip to home depot for some pipe as soon as I can get to the bank tomorrow. I actually planned to for awhile now but never had a great reason to spend money, well now there's the BBB which I hope to see you at next year then! :).

BTW, I read you pulled 255 on the axle. Impressive! I've decided that that is my # to beat at the BBB ;)

I'm pretty sure that's what Aaron said last time I was over. Haha cool Zach hope to see you there once I save up the money. Determined not to be shown up by a 15 year old huh? :tongue Thanks man I didn't know that was that big of a pull on the axle until Aaron told me so.

Edited by vikingsrule92

Determined not to be shown up by a 15 year old huh? :tongue

No... :fear

Deadlifts today. Decided I'd work on my DODL's also and actually surprised myself abit, not much but enough to get motivated for another max attempt. About the max attempt, I almost always feel strong on DL days because I wait the whole week for them and I make sure I'm 100% rested and ready to go. I only do them once a week and mix the movements up everytime and this time I decided it was time for a mostly light/more deadlifting day.

DODLs

215x2

285x2

305x1

325x about mid shin, my thumbs just aren't very strong :erm

Mixed grip

325x3

375x0(that's just how strong I felt, it only hovered though)

355x0(tried this conventional)

355x1(sumo, I used to do only sumo until I started doing conventional and it would appear that I'm equally strong in both :)

tried another DODL with 315 and almost got to lockout! Picture Andy Bolton's 460kg(1014lb) attempt and that's where I lost it :cry oh well, at least it felt light!

Then went back and did 315x3 mixed grip

Clean pulls

215x5

235x5

255x5

215x5

DODLs with a hold at top

265x1 8 second hold

255x1 6 second hold

235x1 6 second hold

215x1 5 second hold

DB snatches(back was abit tired so they turned into muscle snatches, very close to a full snatch though)

75x6(did these alternating so 3 each arm non-stop)

Shrugs

180x10

270x10

360x3(bar just hurt my hands too much today :dry )

270x10

180x20

90x20(with my index/middle fingers with no rest from the 180x20)

Also did some of those hanging leg raises, I think thats what they're called, 2 sets of 8 and 1 set of 10.

NEARLY no setted my #2 today, about 1/8" off RH and maybe 5/8" off LH.

Did mainly some wrist and forearm work at the gym and came home for some pinch on my steel plates.

Some levering with 9 and 12lb sticks

Wrist curls

125x10

135x10

145x4

125x10

Reverse curls

85x5

85x3

85x3

65x20

DB Curls

40'sx12

50'sx10

I wrapped a towel around a 75lb DB and did some towel DB holds, held it for 1 minute RH and 59 seconds LH(I WAS SO CLOSE!). Burned like crazy!

DB rows

75x8(I only used my index/middle finger to lift the DB)

75x5(I only used my ring/pinky finger)

Some mixed finger DL's with the 75, all were easy it was figuring out how to get only those fingers around the DB that was the problem.

Well I've finally got some good 10lb plates! Thin enough that I can get my carnee hands around 5! I also got an 8 and 10lb sledge today and i started using those. I can lever the 10er to my face and back for 3 so far and that's with tired/sore forearms/wrists. My dad actually managed a decent attempt at the 8 and levered it to his face as well. I'm a ways away from a good front lever(that's lifting it parallel to the floor yes?) and I'm pretty close to a full rear lever(same as front lever but head is behind you?).

It's been too long since I've worked out! I feel like my gripper strength has gotten stronger just playing with my grippers but i haven't actually trained them in a good long while :( My Left forearm has a pain in it and it's been there since last I did negatives with my #3 and #2.5 last week. I'm not sure what to do and I'm pretty sure it's going away but it's still annoying and I don't want to train grippers until it's gone.

Today, arms/chest

Flat bench

135x10

175x5

195x4

175x10

165x10

185x3

Decline Bench

135x10

185x5

OHDB press

60x5

Dips

BWx12

BWx12

BWx12

EZ curls

85x5

95x5

105x2

95x5

75x8

DB curls

45x10

35x12

Don't really think today is worth mentioning really. I was bored at home so i went to the gym, ignoring the fact my back is still not 100% yet, I benched yesterday and my forearm still hurts. Didn't really get anything done but tried to work around my forearm.

OHDB press

70x5

70x5

60x5(strict)

Lying JM press

50x8

60x5

60x5

Lateral raises

20x10

Front raises

25x10(per arm)

30x10

I think playing around with my sledges has left my forearm imbalanced strength-wise, it's a possibility so I'll ice it tonight and do some light radial and ulnar rotations with the 8lber.

I tried the bending thing again today... got nowhere again. I can bend 5" 3/16 and crush down 1/4x6 from about 120 degrees but the kink is crazy! Maybe I don't have the patience to hang with it but it feels near impossible. I managed to, when I was bending, kink 1/4x7" square non-FBBC stock a good ways(didn't measure it, maybe went from 180-165ish) but it sat dead in the water after that and I stopped bending shortly after. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but hopefully I can get some good coaching at the BBB3(and not be my stubborn, thick-headed self). I can lever a 10lb sledge with a 33" handle 3 times, wrist curl 155, bench 225 and incline press 175 so I think I at least have a good begining base in the areas important to bending... or maybe I'd just like to think so :happy

You definitely have a good base Zach. However, the reason you can't bend anything big is probably because you don't have proper DO form. When I first started I had pretty good weightlifting numbers but I couldn't even bend a 3/16" square DO. You just need proper coaching and once your form is dialed in you'll make amazing gains very fast. There's some amazing benders at BBB so just ask for some help and I'm sure they'd be happy to.

Edited by vikingsrule92