Irish Strength

MalachiMcMullen

Gonna give this another go, I have a journal on BB.com but pretty much all the people that reply also post here so I don't think I'll lose anything but having to visit BB.com(gutwrenching loss I know). Anyway I figure I should finally write down some type of routine, I keep going to the gym and doing random stuff which works great until my gains halt and I don't know what to change. SOOO... here goes

Day1-Pulls

deadlifts

rows

clean pulls

shrugs

Day2-Most likely a rest day

Day3-Pushes

bench

incline bench

decline bench

DB benches

overhead press(one arm and two)

C&J

Snatches

Day4-Prolly a rest day

Day5-Grippers(I'll switch it up between volume, intensity and resistance)

Day6-rest

Day7-Pinch, static holds, One handed DL's, etc.

I'll put forth my best effort to follow this, far from organized and it'll definetly change but worth the effort. I'll throw in some random cardio as well, soon I'll be getting some stone molds though so in a few weeks I'll be an atlas stone lifter!

Today(all #'s for each hand unless stated)

Grippers

#2x4 RH(2 LH) crazy easy braced closes(didn't even need to brace but force of habit :(

#2x2 inverted (3LH) it's amazing, all I have to do is put my pointer on the spring and it becomes easier

2.5x1 MMS attempt(sweep is easy but ramps up at about 1/2")

1.5x10 no sets RH and 8 LH(finished the last 2 with a wide set LH)

1.5x2 2 finger closes(1 LH with a forced 3 sec neg)

#1x2 2 finger closes

1.5x10 inverted

#2x2 RH with narrow set (less than 1/4" LH)

1.5x5 no sets RH and 3 LH

#1x12 parallel reps

#1x15 parallel reps

Tx25

Looking good buddy.

may i suggest do your #2.5 attempts after a short warmup, your hands were fried from the #2 volume! you'll mash it easily.

Keep training hard!

Sam

Looking good buddy.

may i suggest do your #2.5 attempts after a short warmup, your hands were fried from the #2 volume! you'll mash it easily.

Keep training hard!

Sam

Yeah, honestly I didn't think I'd attempt it this workout until the #2 went easy. Also did some braced 2.5 closes from just outside parallel during the day and some unbraced attempts.

Did some squats for the first time in a great while, my legs actually stung and hurt after the first few sets so I suppose I'll work back into these slowly.

Today was pretty much a mish mash day, wasn't going to go to the gym but I was bored so I figured I might as well.

btw, I ALWAYS touch ass to calves.

Front Squats

105x10

125x8

145x8

175x4(legs could lift the weight but my rhomboids were giving way)

125x8

one handed deadlifted 175 RH and only to the knees LH.

One arm push press

65x5

65x5

75x2

Side bends

75x10 both sides

75x10

75x10

Grippers:

Tx5

Tx6 inverted

2.5x1 negatives(1st was held shut with RH)

2.5x1 inverted negative

1.5x5

#1x10

Extremely discouraged, didn't feel at all strong and couldn't even get 10 straight reps on the #1(something I've done after much more grip training regularly) so I stopped for tonight.

My legs were completely blasted after the last squats, I couldn't even walk right for the last two days so hopefully I've kicked my legs into ready mode.

Today was another mish mash but with concentration on arms(going to start my workout plan next monday so this week will be focused on getting everything conditioned)

Alternating DB curls(#'s for each arm)

40'sx6

45'sx5

50'sx4

40'sx8

35'sx10

DB rows

75x10

75x10

75x10

One arm press

65x5

70x5

75x3

Side raises

20'sx10

20'sx10

20'sx10

Front raises

25'sx10

25'sx10

25'sx10

Pinch holds

3 10'sx15sec

"x25sec

45 platex30sec

Wide grip chins

bwx6

bwx8

bwx8

bwx6

Reverse curls

85x5

85x5

85x5

several attempts at lifting 2 25's and almost 3 successful ones.

Didn't really know what to do today and it was pretty unintense after the pinch holds.

Yesterday's session(again, just getting myself alittle bit more conditioned for the routine)

OHDB press

60x5

70x5

Flat bench

135x10

155x10

175x8

195x3(could've gotten more but I had no spotter)

175x8

155x5(I didn't rest between sets and this got stuck on my chest :()

135x10

and one more set of OHDB presses with a 55

Shrugs

230x15

300x10

300x20

230x20

One Handed Rack pulls

230x2 lifts with 3-5 sec holds both hands

300x2 lifts with MAYBE a 1 sec hold RH, just two lifts LH and no hold

230x2

Todays gripper session, I tried to focus mainly on negatives since I haven't done many in the past and I figure it's time for a change. If only my hands weren't so damned sweaty! Time for some chalk. I'm wierd with the #2, I can consistently close it at least once fresh and rep it when warmed up and fresh but alas it remains at the top 85+% of my range.

#1x10

#2x1 3 sec hold(thats when the handles started moving past 1/4")

#3x1 neg RH held from a forced close until the handles went outside parallel(kept slipping out of place in my LH)

2.5x1 neg (held near closed, I'd say less than 3/4")LH and RH but also kept slipping out of my hands

3 negatives at or close to closed with my #2

then to finish off

1.5x5 RH and 4 LH

Wasn't able to get to the gym today, got alittle sidetracked and got home too late however when I get back in I'll be starting the Coan/Phillipi routine!

Today was a grip day then, did some normal stuff and tried to work with heavier grippers mostly:

1.5x10

#2x1

#2x1 inverted

2.5x1 braced close RH(tried it inverted LH but was only just past parallel and that's because I don't know how to set it while inverted)

#2x4 MMS singles RH

#2x4 inverted singles LH

1.5x2 singles with my index/middle RH(close with my Lh but still at least 1/4" off but I can do it fresh)

#2x2 inverted singles

#2x1 regular set attempt with both hands, <1/16" LH and about 1/4" off RH

1.5x10 inverted reps

Finished

I'm wierd with the #2, I can consistently close it at least once fresh and rep it when warmed up and fresh but alas it remains at the top 85+% of my range.

I'm the same way, it's very annoying. Though I think it's changing somewhat.

I'm wierd with the #2, I can consistently close it at least once fresh and rep it when warmed up and fresh but alas it remains at the top 85+% of my range.

Thanks Derek!

I think it's changing for me too. I pretty much rocketed from the #1(out of package close) to my first MMS #2 close(only about 2-3 months) so I think I'm in a slight slump and it's taking me a bit to get of it. #2 feels easier and easier everytime I train with it, by alittle bit but every little bit counts.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

nice log, good work with the shrugs, you going for the 2.5 or the 3 at the minute?

The #3 BUT I'm in no way consistent with the 2.5, I've MMS'd it a few times on really strong days and I can get a braced close every so often fresh and I also have yet to rep it even if I brace the reps so TECHNICALLY I'm working to get consistent on the 2.5. I've been EXTREMELY distracted lately, anyone here ever really really liked someone ;) that was already in a relationship with their best friend? I hope not because it sucks and I have no motivation beyond frustration. I'm also trying figure out abunch of stupid college screwups/registration issues, then there's $ issue :rolleyes

Hmmm, while typing this I just repped the #2 for 5 wide reps Rh and 3 reps LH(with the last 2 braced).

Hey, i feel for you Zach. I'm in a similar situation regarding the frustration but not quite the same with the girl being in a relationship with their best friend. High school is too F@#%ing dramatic. Hope everything works out well for you buddy! :D

Hey, i feel for you Zach. I'm in a similar situation regarding the frustration but not quite the same with the girl being in a relationship with their best friend. High school is too F@#%ing dramatic. Hope everything works out well for you buddy! :D

Thanks, I graduated this year so this is now pre-college drama :)

Thanks Derek!

I think it's changing for me too. I pretty much rocketed from the #1(out of package close) to my first MMS #2 close(only about 2-3 months) so I think I'm in a slight slump and it's taking me a bit to get of it. #2 feels easier and easier everytime I train with it, by alittle bit but every little bit counts.

Yeah, same here, though it's probably a result of me changing my routine. I've been focusing on no-sets and wider ranges in general for the past month (and somewhat before that but to a lesser degree) and haven't been training with anything harder than a #2, so as a result my parallel strength decreased somewhat (I can't close my HG300 like I used to) though I feel myself getting stronger on the #2 constantly. It's actually starting to motivate me more, the increase in my sweep strength was shown when I just squeezed on the #4 for fun and I could actually get it somewhere, not to parallel or anything but still more than I ever could before.

The #3 BUT I'm in no way consistent with the 2.5, I've MMS'd it a few times on really strong days and I can get a braced close every so often fresh and I also have yet to rep it even if I brace the reps so TECHNICALLY I'm working to get consistent on the 2.5. I've been EXTREMELY distracted lately, anyone here ever really really liked someone ;) that was already in a relationship with their best friend? I hope not because it sucks and I have no motivation beyond frustration. I'm also trying figure out abunch of stupid college screwups/registration issues, then there's $ issue :rolleyes

Hmmm, while typing this I just repped the #2 for 5 wide reps Rh and 3 reps LH(with the last 2 braced).

LOL, think everyone's been there. It's human nature to want what you can't have.

Anyhow, there's nothing you can do about it dude. Regarding this one girl, you may not be able to see it like this while you have a 'crush' on her - excuse the pun - but they are plenty more fish in the sea.

Good work repping the #2.

I really want to see you close the #3.

LOL, think everyone's been there. It's human nature to want what you can't have.

Anyhow, there's nothing you can do about it dude. Regarding this one girl, you may not be able to see it like this while you have a 'crush' on her - excuse the pun - but they are plenty more fish in the sea.

Yeah, I seem to want what I can't have alot :rolleyes (however in the girl's case both me and my friend asked her out the same day, he saw her 2 hours before me though :angry: but bad luck is bad luck)

I would love to see me close the #3 also, hell a braced MMS with a deep set would be something to start but as it stands my max strength I'd say is somewhere barely above 2.5 but it is going up for sure. Repping the #2 for 5 was a PR, never got above 3 reps inverted LH, and I don't know exactly why. I did a few "fun" sets last night and got 5 reps first set and 4 reps second set RH and 3 reps both times with my LH even though one set was inverted.

Superfreemiman, yeah I was pretty discouraged in the gripper department until I repped the 2 for 5. It's definitely started to motivate me again! I've always done a mix of wide and mms work, my heavy stuff is almost always mms unless I'm feeling strong and whenever I rep the 1.5 or lower I go well outside 2". However I've never really done whole hearted negatives and since starting doing them last week I've felt a difference.

Did deadlifts today!!!!! I LOVE DEADLIFTING!!!!!... and loathe it. I didn't have much time today, had to squeeze this all into an hour or less.

Clean and jerk

175x3 singles

Deadlifts!!!!

215x5

300x5

335x3 PR this is my old full deadlift max tripled(getting pissed off AND not missing an attempt is HUGE ADRENALINE BOOST)

215x5(off a 1.5" platform)

Clean pulls

215x5

235x5

235x3

215x2

Good mornings(haven't done these in over 7 months)

125x5

125x5

145x5

Incline situps(or is it decline?)

BWx10

BW+25x10

BW+35x10

all were done with no rest between sets

Side bends(#'s are for each oblique)

75x10

75x10

Yeah, I seem to want what I can't have alot :rolleyes (however in the girl's case both me and my friend asked her out the same day, he saw her 2 hours before me though :angry: but bad luck is bad luck)

I would love to see me close the #3 also, hell a braced MMS with a deep set would be something to start but as it stands my max strength I'd say is somewhere barely above 2.5 but it is going up for sure. Repping the #2 for 5 was a PR, never got above 3 reps inverted LH, and I don't know exactly why. I did a few "fun" sets last night and got 5 reps first set and 4 reps second set RH and 3 reps both times with my LH even though one set was inverted.

Superfreemiman, yeah I was pretty discouraged in the gripper department until I repped the 2 for 5. It's definitely started to motivate me again! I've always done a mix of wide and mms work, my heavy stuff is almost always mms unless I'm feeling strong and whenever I rep the 1.5 or lower I go well outside 2". However I've never really done whole hearted negatives and since starting doing them last week I've felt a difference.

Yeah, I guess we have to give our training a little more time before we say stuff like that :D

I have been ridiculously busy lately and I'm still pretty "distracted", needless to say(but I'm saying it anyway) I haven't been able to get to the gym in the last week and next week doesn't look good either, I figured I'd try for a bit of gripper training tonight seeing as how it's been over a week since I actually had a session. Felt weak this time, I'd say I'm consistent with the #2 now btw. I can at any point of the day close it no problem for at least 2 reps Rh and at least once LH, I can close it inverted and regular with both hands and can come close to a 3 finger RH close(about 1/8" off). Went tubing last weekend and was the only one able to hang on to the tube the whole time! But my hands were pretty fatigued after that, my 1.5 felt pretty hard when I got home and then I had a belt sander assident at work :tongue now everytime I squeeze a gripper my left index finger bleeds... at least I have napkins :D

#1x10

1.5x10

1.5x10 inverted

Tx10

#1x10 inverted

#2x1 Rh + a rep to 1/4"

#2x1 LH inverted + a 3 sec hold(my finger started dripping blood on the gripper :rolleyes )

#2x1 inverted RH

#2x1 regular attempt LH down to >1/4"

pretty much a tricep day today but of course I was in a hurry again so I ended up near supersetting everything.

Flat bench

135x10

175x3

205x3

235x0(got stuck on the way up an 1" off my chest :angry: )

225x0

205x2

185x5(started taking 30 second or less breaks around now)

195x3

175x5

Close grip bench

135x10

155x5

Decline bench(Shoulder felt weird so only did one set)

175x5

Dips

BWx10

BWx10

BWx6(just dropped)

Fingertip pushups(didn't use my index fingers, both are cut up pretty well)

BWx5

BWx5

BWx5

Haven't managed much time beyond work and other stuff but i did get to play with a 2.5" bar attached to some trees(it was part of a swing set at one point). It's been raining nonstop for the past 2 days but I managed to hold my bw with each hand on a VERY wet 2.5" bar and did a bunch of chinups and one muscle up.

Grippers today, definitely feeling stronger than ever on the #2, maybe it's finally starting to season down or I'm actually getting stronger but I'll take it either way.

#2x1

#1x6

1.5x10

2.5x1 attempt(braced close RH)

#2x1(inverted LH)

1.5x2 two finger closes(index/middle

#1x1 two finger attempt(ring/pinky and was pretty close, only about 1/4" off)

Filed Tx3 ring/pinky closes

#2x1 3 finger close(+1 braced 3 finger close each hand)

1.5x5 3 finger closes(2LH and 1 braced LH)

1.5x2 TNS reps

1.5x5 TNS reps(3 LH +2 close ones I'd say less than 1/8")

2.5x1 braced close RH(tried it inverted LH and only managed parallel)

#2x1 Rh(+1 braced close and an attempt LH to about 1/4")

1.5x10 inverted

Filed Tx12

Done for today

Today, DEADLIFTS!!! Still pretty distracted/frustrated add to that the absolutely horrible 11hr workday where I got nothing done and yelled at but oddly I'm not complaining. It was great going into the gym with so much adrenaline and now i don't feel angry at all, just distracted(not much I can do about that though :dry ) Not a bad session today, felt strong, got a big PR, wasn't angry at the end and had some GREAT chilli afterwards.

Warmup

DB snatches

75x5 each arm

Clean pulls

215x5

Now for the workout!

Deadlifts

305x5

355x1 New Full dead PR!(nearly 2 but alas my weak spot right at the floor stopped me)

Clean pulls

265x0(just didn't move fast enough)

235x5

245x5

245x5

Good Mornings

135x5

135x5

135x5

Hang Cleans

125x5

125x5

125x5

Wide grip Chins

bwx10

bwx7

bwx8

WOW! Since I took alot of time off, about a week or so, and come back I'm stronger than ever! Today, despite feeling like crap all the way, the weights felt lighter than ever AND I got another PR! BTW I had a spotter but we don't help eachother unless the bar goes back down or we say help.

Flat bench

135x10

175x5

205x3

215x3

225x2+1 forced (PR) this was my 1 rep max two weeks ago

205x1(second one just dropped despite feeling light)

185x9(10th was stuck on my chest)

155x9(10th was stuck on my chest... again)

Incline Bench

135x5

135x5

175x0(just for fun, I've repped it before but never after other stuff)

135x5

Decline Bench

135x15

175x3

135x10

Dips

BWx10

BWx10

BWx10

DB curls(#'s are for each arm)

35'sx6

45'sx5

55'sx3

After this I felt pooped, my arms were feeling pretty good though and it was definitely the most intense tricep/chest workout ever since all this was done in less than an hour... Dang, I didn't realize until now how little I rested. Hands are still beat up from the dead session and the other grip session add to that the parts we're making at work and my hands aren't set to be fully recovered until MAYBE sunday :rolleyes

Some grippers today

#1x8

#3x3 negatives RH(+1 LH but I can't set with my RH so it was only held around outside parallel)

2.5x2 negatives LH

2.5x3 negatives RH

#2x3 negatives LH

1.5x10(LH had alot of help on the last 5 so 5 actual reps with 5 deep sets)

#1x8 RH and 6 LH

Those negatives REALLY take alot out of you!!! I always heard that Kinney and the like said heavy negatives were the best way to increase hand strength but I didn't know why until now! It usually takes most of a grip workout to get my forearms feeling as "pumped" as they did after the first 3 #3 negatives! I think negatives just became an indespensable part of my grip routine.