Heath & the 4

Roark

My #4 gripper is in the mail toward Heath Sexton.

From others with whom I have discussed Heath, I

feel he is a man of his word, so I have proposed this

deal:

If he can close my #4 by August 10 this year, he may keep

it as a gift. If he cannot, he will return it.

I have no idea whether my 4 is easier or harder than his;

quite frankly, I am hoping it is easier, so that the tiny distance

that Heath lacks on closing his can be gapped.

Heath, I hope you don't mind me making our deal public,

but, candidly, I want pressure on you to succeed! Plus,

me having a #4 is like me having a fixed weight barbell

of 900 lbs- not much I can do with it.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roark

• Bill Piche

• Bearcat 74

• Nathan Say

Thank you for making the deal public, we will eagerly await the result !

It would be great that heath managed to close the #4 since he's on the board and not elusive like Joe Kinney. In fact i sometimes wonder if Kinney only did it for the opportunity to sell a video ??

I admit that it may be unfair so do you know what  the motivations of Mr Kinney were and why he isn't a little bit more talkative (it's so cool  to share a passion with others)?

Well i suppose the question must have already been discussed on the board but i can't find trace of it.

I know what Heath is doing so I know it won't be long before he closes a #4 if he keeps woorking it hard & keeps the volume up, but he might not be the "next one". Maybe Robert Baraban or Jesses Marunde, or some freaka nature like that Anders Gustav Andersson have already closed it for reps or something. We won't know until the next Milo because they don't come on the GripBoard. Maybe I'M closer to the #4 than he is & I just haven't been hyped up as much as he has been.

I have spoken to Joe Kinney just once, and found him

charming and convincing- the type of man who struck me

as not caring one whit what anybody thinks about his

abilities on the 4. That is, he asserts that he has closed his

first 4 (now lost/stolen) and his second 4 (loaned to a

friend when I spoke to Joe) a total of perhaps 30 or 40

reps (singles) between them.

Joe has some health problems that have removed his

participation in high level gripper closings.

The saddest element in all this is that neither of his 4's

has been tested either by calibration or by another grip

board member (that I know of) for comparision. I suspect

if Heath closes mine (then his by our agreement) he will

allow others to try it, and much of the Kinney mystery will

not be present in this situation.

When Heath get's my 4 in the mail, the second thing he will

notice about it is whether it is easier or harder than his.

The first thing he will notice is the pristine, one might almost

say, unused, condition it is in.

Cool! Where do I sign up for free grippers? I just baught a #1 gripper, if you have an extra #2 laying around, send it my way. =-)

Guest yactoid

I really didn't think I was gonna get involved in this whole discussion - whoever closes the 4 - closes it.

but damnit, 8/10 is my birthday!

Maybe I'M closer to the #4 than he is & I just haven't been hyped up as much as he has been.

Dream on.  Heath is about as un-hyped as they get.  Close something remotely approaching a #3 before you start flapping your gums.

Over the past few months my grippers have been given or

traded away, Gripster. I'm down to trainer, 1,2.

But, come August 11th, I may have a 4 again...

Nathan,

I think Heath is aware that he may not be "the next one" because we aren't all aware of what everyone in the world is doing.  Heath also asked everyone on the board, in an earlier post, that people not keep saying that he'll be "the next one" to close the #4.  But since the issue is raised yet again, he is the closest we know of.  You should also take back your comment about you possibly being closer to closing a #4 unless you have some serious proof in your pudding.

I'm not taking anything back! I only meant WHAT IF I was closer & hadn't told anybody about it? People talk about Heath vs CoC#4 a whole lot, so much that he's even told everyone to cut it out. It's not like he's the only one going for the #4, so he might not be closest. If there are more people training for the 4 than Heath alone there's a chance that some/most/a couple/none are closer.  Not everyone in the grip world comes on this forum, that's all I was saying.

Nathan,  I'll put it to you this way.  Richard Sorin and Randy Strossen himself saw what Heath could do with his #4 gripper and a bunch of grippers that Mr. Sorin brought to the AOBS dinner.  On that night, many people saw what Heath is and will be capable of.  Heath is about as humble and nice a guy that you will ever meet.  He is uncomfortable about even taking a compliment about how strong he is.  I agree 100% about what Pat said-Heath is about as un-hyped as they get.  Pat and I worked out with him, and saw how strong he is overall, not just on the grippers.  If you saw him too, you would be a believer, as all the others were who saw him in action that weekend.  When he closes that #4, I will be very happy for the man, not just because of what he achieved, but for the type of friend he is.

I did not even imply that I'm cool because I'm stronger than Heath & he's just a big jerk. I said in a strictly hypothetical situation (one more time...), WHAT IF I closed it one-handed so I could barely pull a piece of paper out from between the handles & it was a big secret? I know I'm nowhere near to closing a CoC#4 (not true-I haven't tried one yet) because I still got a little bit left on my #3. Instead of that thing about me, pretend Doc Brown went back to the year 18-whenever in his DeLorean, got Anders Andersson to completely close a #4, throw it on the ground & [insert bodily function here] all over it & not tell anyone on the GripBoard. That would probably make the cover of the Fall Milo because it would be an official close, right? Nobody here, though, would know about it until the the issue comes out because Anders Andersson doesn't have internet access for his computer & wouldn't be able to tell everyone here about his cool PR. I'm sure Heath is a strong guy because of everything everyone says about him (what I meant by hype) & I wasn't trying to bring him down because he's never come across as a jerk (like Jamie Harris) which is kind of a bonus, or pick myself up, but the world is a lot bigger than the 1300 who see this msg board.

Thanks for the offer Roark, and the kind words guys.  I may close it, I may not.  The more this goes, the more 2nd isn't looking so good.  Nathan, maybe you or someone else will smack the 4 so people will shut the #### up about what I'm doing or gonna do.  I think I may try what Kinney did, see you guys in the funny papers............

What if, what if, what if.

What if I have already closed it and am secretly hoping

Heath fails, so I can gloat?

Heath you have my apology for what has taken a wrong turn

in the coil of gripper life.

The gripper should be in your hand tomorrow or the next day.

I will appreciate knowing what happens, and will keep my mouth shut until you make whatever happens public.

The accurate reporting of strength feats is not hype, but

hype's opposite.

Maybe using 'hype' made it sound sarcastic (not what I meant), but it seems like Heath is the most talked about person on here a lot of the time.

You know.... I tend to boast and brag a lot about "my greatness", and it's a running gag on this board.  I've seen what Heath can do, and let me tell ya... it's SCARY.  Heath has that freaky grip strength that many guys who train with the #3 DON'T have.  I don't have it, but I wish I did.  Closing a #3 is a task for me, and Heath makes it look like child's play!

Nathan, there is a reason that NO ONE (besides Kinney) still hasn't closed the #4 - THEY CAN'T.  Needless speculation still abounds.  I can't even budge my #4.  So what do you think they are capable of, Nathan??  If they could close it, you would of heard about it by now, believe me.  I think Heath is probably in the top 2 or 3 percent of the COC's that currently exist.  And that says a lot!!

I typed all my posts in english...you guys understand english don't you? At what point did I underestimate Heath's lifting/crushing talent & say he sucked & I'm the man? I didn't know anything about Robert Baraban before his Iron Grip interview. He (& quite a few others no doubt) has been training for the 4 for more than a year hasn't he? So he might be real close to it? Whether he is or not, he/they have had a lot of time (more than a year) to train & I would say that it is reasonable to suspect that there could be many who are very close to the 4 by now, not just Heath. Just because they don't come on here & tell everyone how it's going doesn't mean that they don't exist or aren't kicking some.

Nathan,

We must deal with the facts at hand. It is up to those

laboring in obscurity to participate if they choose. If

others are very close to mastering the 4 but they choose

to remain private about it, then they have removed

themselves from the accurate reporting of strength feats,

so let's not hype speculation.

When Mark Henry cleaned and push-pressed the Inch

replica, do you suppose there are several men who have

already done it but choose to remain unpublicized? If so,

their wish is hereby granted.

do you suppose there are several men who have

already done it but choose to remain unpublicized? If so,

their wish is hereby granted.

Good answer, I was leaning towards Nathan's side of the argument until you pointed that out.  Good luck to everyone going at the #4, Heath and everyone else (who's names i unfortunately do not yet know), someday I just hope I'll be in your league!

Guest Jeff Roark

I think we should only discuss on here what Nathan Say is doing in the grip world from here on out... comments you have made is what pushes good information for all of us away. Like Heath hinted, he may see us in the funny pages. I do hope Heath closes the #4 as everyone else here. If he doesn't ever succeed will not affect me in the least, why? Because regardless of this or that, he has become one of my good freinds through him just being here and being a super nice guy. I can almost always count on him calling me every few weeks to check up on my progress. Who else here does that for me or anyone else? Heath is much more than a #4 pal, he is one of the finest young men I have ever met. I am glad to be his freind.

Yes, his wife, who was his witness, as I understand.

And when someone else who lived nearby offered to

also verify the closing, he was told that it was not

necessary because the feat was believed.

I recieved Roark's #4...........WOW.  It's a beast plain and simple, MUCH harder than mine.  Steel handles I guess, it weights about 2lbs, with a massivly thick spring, and the handles are deep enough that they are under the spring coil...............Looks like Roark will be getting this baby back...........

Once again, thanks for letting me use it.

Frankly, my 4 is the only 4 I have ever held, so it

surprises me to learn that it is significantly more

difficult than yours, proving what we have long known,

that the number designation is similar to living within

Texas- there are monstrous spaces between Texas here

and Texas there.

Anyway, perhaps training on mine will aid you in closing

yours, so good luck to you.

I simply cannot help but wonder where Kinney's 4 would fit

when compared to your and mine- harder than mine; easier

than yours? Because his is lost, we will never know.

As I mentioned in a pm to you, until my car springs break,

there is no urgency to return it to me.