Pda Devils Advocate (ivanko Super Gripper)

acorn

Does anyone have one of these? If you do, how do you like it? I ordered one yesterday. I got my telegraph key in as well yesterday. I think I'm getting the bug. Gonna make a serious effort to close the #3 by the end of the year.

- Aaron

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Teemu I

• acorn

• TelegraphKey

• pdoire

I have a regular ISG cause I was too cheap to get the handles. The ISG is the best tool out there if you wanna close grippers. Thats my opinion anyways!

Where can one get extra springs? I'm about to order an ISG from APT but it says they're out of extra springs. FWIU the stock 2 springs is about equivalent to less than a CoC #2, I want more than that. Thanks.

2 springs is more than enough in most circumstances, but you can get extra springs through PDA

Forces required to close gripper

spring1 spring2 force(lbs)

3 1 45.00

4 1 56.41

4 2 64.32

5 1 69.58

5 2 77.49

6 1 84.50

5 3 87.15

6 2 92.41

7 1 101.17

6 3 102.07

7 2 109.08

6 4 113.48

7 3 118.74

8 1 119.60

8 2 127.51

7 4 130.15

8 3 137.17

9 1 139.78

7 5 143.32

9 2 147.69

8 4 148.58

9 3 157.35

1 10 161.71

8 5 161.75

9 4 168.76

2 10 169.62

8 6 176.67

3 10 179.28

9 5 181.93

11 1 185.40

4 10 190.69

2 11 193.30

9 6 196.84

3 11 202.96

5 10 203.86

12 1 210.84

9 7 213.52

4 11 214.38

2 12 218.74

6 10 218.78

5 11 227.54

3 12 228.40

7 10 235.45

4 12 239.82

6 11 242.46

5 12 252.98

8 10 253.88

7 11 259.14

6 12 267.90

8 11 277.56

7 12 284.58

9 11 297.74

8 12 303.00

9 12 323.18

12 10 345.11

Where can one get extra springs? I'm about to order an ISG from APT but it says they're out of extra springs. FWIU the stock 2 springs is about equivalent to less than a CoC #2, I want more than that. Thanks.

You can get them from PDA when you order the ISG...no need for the additional cost of the "Devils Advocate" the "regular" ISG is a great tool and at the 10,12 setting it is much harder than the COC #2 on par with the COC 3. It is great for negs...but get the additional springs when you purchase it it will save you money. I have 3 springs on mine.

Wow, excellent! I'm going to print that out. Thank you!

here are a couple more good sites for the positions and ratings

http://www.angelfire.com/ar/mathgod/sg/

http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sstamp/knives/ivanko_gripper.html

Hope that helps. Mine comes on Monday, and looking forward to playing with it.

- Aaron

Thank you. Those 2 links explain exactly why Pryderi listed those #'s he listed in his post.

I'm certain I'm not the first ever to ask this BUT: How well do these poundages (force #'s) correspond to the numbers given in CoC gripper or BB grippers? For example, according to the calculators, Spring 1 positioned at the # 6 slot, Spring 2 at the # 9 slot, gives a force of about 197 lbs. Does this, in experience, feel "about the same" as a CoC # 2 gripper (195 lbs)?

Thank you. Those 2 links explain exactly why Pryderi listed those #'s he listed in his post.

I'm certain I'm not the first ever to ask this BUT: How well do these poundages (force #'s) correspond to the numbers given in CoC gripper or BB grippers? For example, according to the calculators, Spring 1 positioned at the # 6 slot, Spring 2 at the # 9 slot, gives a force of about 197 lbs. Does this, in experience, feel "about the same" as a CoC # 2 gripper (195 lbs)?

I'll let you know when mine comes in. Also I ordered 4 of the stainless springs with mine and handles for beyond the range and working the sweep. Should be a good training tool if it works half as good as what people have said.

- Aaron

Thanks. Actually I emailed Bill Ennis at weightlifter's warehouse & he confirms that Ivanko, and hence he, and also APT & everyone else, are out of extra springs in stock, have been since February!

Fortunately for me, the 2 springs that come with the ISG look to be plenty challenge enough for me (for now!)

It is not correct that everyone is out of IG springs. PDA has a full stock of OEM springs as well as replacement stainless steel springs.

Yea I ordered mine with 4 springs in stainless from PDA. btw very happy with it. With 3 springs it offers an abundance of settings. With 2 springs it goes low enough for me to do Dynamic thumb work. Also got a couple of pieces to allow for choked work and that is really nice.

- Aaron

Some ISG rating lists exclude the 1st position spring settings. Is anyone finding the 1st setting to be the weak position as far as tension accuracy? A spring in the 1st position will of course expand the least, so maybe it makes sense to try not to rely on this position when accuracy of tension is desirable -- what's your experience in comparison between settings combinations? My ISG with 4 springs is in the mail.

i checked out those calculators and they account for the difference in expansion at different stages, as i also thought of this situation and cross-referenced a few points and they don't in fact go up uniformly therefore the difference in extension is in the formula.

bunchofbananas,

The increase of tension is exponential with each step up, that's a given. What I mean is simply that the 1st position expands the spring the least, hence should offer the least accurate value of all positions. I don't know if this is practically relevant though, but thought it might be the reason for the exclusion of the 1st position in some ISG rating lists.

Cheers,

spahn

Yea I ordered mine with 4 springs in stainless from PDA. btw very happy with it. With 3 springs it offers an abundance of settings. With 2 springs it goes low enough for me to do Dynamic thumb work. Also got a couple of pieces to allow for choked work and that is really nice.

- Aaron

You do dynamic thumb work with 2 springs? The Ivanko springs are supposedly rated so that, at the highest settings, 2 springs = greater than a CoC #3. Are you doing thumb work with that?

lowes hardware had the springs i dont know if they carry them now

- Aaron

You do dynamic thumb work with 2 springs? The Ivanko springs are supposedly rated so that, at the highest settings, 2 springs = greater than a CoC #3. Are you doing thumb work with that?

Heck no, Normally I do thumb work with my TTK. However when I do my grip workouts at work I either use a pony clamp or the DA with 2 springs at position 1,3 or about 45lbs.

- Aaron

I have to sing a praise for Bill Ennis at Weightlifter's Warehouse. I ordered an ISG which is on its way to me in the mail, but I guess he somehow got ahold of 3 springs (I don't know if this means they're back in stock at Ivanko) and he is sending these to me, too, just asking me to mail him the money ($6) for the springs when I get the chance. Great service at Weightlifter's Warehouse!

Acorn,

Man, you are flying right along on your progression on grippers! Congratulations! (I read in your signature that you've already closed the HG300!)

Thanks TelegraphKey, Yes definately progressing well I just started KTA phase 2 on Saturday. However I was able to close my #2 on the RT the first day I got it, and I have had some fairly strong lifts in the past. So it kinda feels like my hands are just catching up to the rest of my body. My goal is to close my #3 and maybe go a bit further. I feel like its a reasonable goal at this point.

- Aaron

I've read of some of your lifts. I'm nowhere near your lifts, but I've long thought I was "pretty strong." (Largely due to my mostly-non-lifting social circles, probably!) But it was bad enough when I read about truly strong powerlifters & Olympic lifters...Then I discovered forums like this one, where guys who don't even really lift weights, pinch & crush much more than I can! I'm just trying to plug away at it; at this point, I don't even imagine closing a #3. But, if I can get the SM someday, then I might set my sights on it. You might be at the HG500 by then, though! :rock