• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• CoC#3

• OldGuy

• vikingpower

I know this guy - he posts on the Strength Discussion Forum under the name 'King Kong' - and he's not close. The Millennium weighs about 103-kilos so you'd assume, as per, that 105 is good enough. But we've had at least 100 posts or thereabouts asking about solid dumbbells and plateloaded. I've posted a bunch of replies to the effect that you need to lift more and you know this as someone who sometimes thick bar and thick handle work yourself. When he gets to 120-kilos or so he'll be ready.

If you get a chance to read his log his other lifts are all over the place (very low RT and just about does an HG300 with a brace). Also I've used one of Stan Pikes handles at a seminar we did and the big plates, as I well know, make a huge difference to the lift.

If pulling 105 kilos on a handle we don't know the size of (I think it's 2-inches as the handle and ends seem to be the same size although he says it's 2.5-inches in his log) was enough you'd be able to do as would many others. Form a queue but be ready to be disappointed ha ha :flame

Edited by mobsterone

strong lift!

I've never posted a single video and wouldn't know how (others have as you well know). However, there's a bunch of images including one where I'm doing 120-kilos on a 'similar setup'. I've done more. I even, when you were teaching me how I should lift dumbbells straight, posted an image of my doing exact the same 105-kilo weight dead level on a 2.5-inch handle using small plates which do not touch the arm. I'll repost that right after you come round (rom America) and do the taping of me and post it for me and you'll have to wait until after the European as I only do thick handle for fun and in the off season as anyone who reads my log will have seen several post to that effect (ie: I train for the competitions only now). In the meantime feel free to do the same - ie: prove you can do as well.

edit: daft bugger that I am it occurs to me that if there is a video of me linked to just the other day of my doing a pull to my waist with the millennium (with a tilt) there would be nowt to prove by posting a video of my tilting (as KK does) 105-kilos on a plate loaded bell. I'll see if I can find one of me doing 120+ kilos instead.

Edited by mobsterone

Ahh much better - my image froze as it was loading - 2.5-inches it is then. See my last post for comments. I have a digi camera but am not about to do yet another training session today (it would be my 3rd) with an easy 105. :cool

Ive seen some pictures in the cyberpump gallery of Mobsterone doing as much if not more than that on a loadable dumbell.I could be wrong but I think I saw a video of Chris James doing well over 220lb on a 2.5" dumbell (possibly 250lb) and it didnt look like it was too much trouble. That is a good lift non the less though but I think thats a 2" handle not 2.5"

Like I said on the SDF - he's keen there's no doubt about that. But my experience and that of others says to do a 103-kilo Millennium you need to do about 30-50 pounds more on a plate loaded set up - even if it's fixed so the plates don't rotate. If they do I'd add another 20-pounds for sure. That and his weights on other movements make me think he's a way to go (only an HG300??). One exercise twist he does well on is using his RT handle on lat pulldown movements. He doesn't say if it's an old handle or a new one but 70-kilos, as he claims, is a good weight.

CJ has done some great weights and esp on 2-inch thick bars (a 1000lbs plus partial deadlift for a start).

Like I said on the SDF - he's keen there's no doubt about that. But my experience and that of others says to do a 103-kilo Millennium you need to do about 30-50 pounds more on a plate loaded set up - even if it's fixed so the plates don't rotate. If they do I'd add another 20-pounds for sure. That and his weights on other movements make me think he's a way to go (only an HG300??). One exercise twist he does well on is using his RT handle on lat pulldown movements. He doesn't say if it's an old handle or a new one but 70-kilos, as he claims, is a good weight.

CJ has done some great weights and esp on 2-inch thick bars (a 1000lbs plus partial deadlift for a start).

A 1000lb partial on a 2" bar thats some serious weight

Edited by MARKR

I do have a nice photo of 'Schoonie' holding a Millennium at waist height (a la John Woods). As well as the same of John and yet another of John with his dad Kim with their newly arrived babies... (as was).

Mobster, any idea how much easier the lift gets if done gripping the handle so much off centre as he does? He seems to grip the handle far at one side so that the forearm touches the plates and I guess that would prevent much of the rotation. Reminds me of Clays Inch lift with a nail taped on the handle to reduce rotation.

It looks as he does the same on the 100 kg and the 105 kg lift but they are filmed from a different angle but it's very obvious on this 95 kg lift: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpIuZBs7d0g...related&search=

I still think it's an impressing lift, I'm just curious how much easier it gets by doing it like that?

//Jim

A lot (15-20 kilos worth). One way round when I first trained the lift was using small plates inside as to mimic the curve of a globed dumbbell. It's also worth mentioning that the length of the handle is very important. The SP dumbbell I mentioned earlier had a 4-inch long handle where as the MDB and my 2.5-inch handle are longer.

Mobster, any idea how much easier the lift gets if done gripping the handle so much off centre as he does?

A lot easier. By doing this, he is able to brace the weight against his forearm and it becomes a lot easier.

A lot (15-20 kilos worth).
A lot easier. By doing this, he is able to brace the weight against his forearm and it becomes a lot easier.

As I suspected.

//Jim

That's a lot of weight regardless but you can see in the clip Jim posted that his forearm completely stops the rotation. I'd be surprised if he could pick up the Inch, much less the MDB. Cool video though, glad he posted it.

Steve it is a 60mm handle. I know because I made them dumbells and sent them to him.

60 mm is 2.36" decimal inch and 2 1/3" closest fractional inch http://www.highlandlighting.com/conversion.htm and the inch is 2 3/8 inch pretty close that guy looks real young nice lift but not the same as the inch and everyone already mentioned the arm on the plate thats all you need

Edited by DAN PRAYDIS

Steve it is a 60mm handle. I know because I made them dumbells and sent them to him.

That explains why it looks, on first impression, as though the ends etc are the same 50mm to 60mm is all of a 1cm difference. However, he describes it as a 2.5 inch handle in his log and not 2.3 or less. As many an actress has said to many a bishop (ahem) the little bit missing makes all the difference he he

The lads 17.

Given his recent progress I'm bothered he may well be using 'assitance' at a young age.

Hi Tom - my V-bar broke today - the end plate came off. :(

That explains why it looks, on first impression, as though the ends etc are the same 50mm to 60mm is all of a 1cm difference. However, he describes it as a 2.5 inch handle in his log and not 2.3 or less. As many an actress has said to many a bishop (ahem) the little bit missing makes all the difference he he

The lads 17.

Given his recent progress I'm bothered he may well be using 'assitance' at a young age.

Just 'cause he makes good gains quickly dosn't mean he's getting "assistance".

So let's see a video of somebody duplicating the young guys lift. Meaning using the same equipment and lifting style and the same amount of weight .