Blobette From Pda

Teemu I

I just ordered a Blobette from PDA after considering for a while. I ended up with that, as I figure out that its a fool proof way to make steady progress little by little. It's also as close to a real thing as I can get here, it seems. I just can't wait to get my hands on that!

Good choice! :rock

Good choice! :rock

Do you have that? If you do, what size lead shot you would say I should get, 8 mm? Or does it really matter if I just go with the cheapest I can find. I was just thinking how much will the size of the lead shot effect on the weight I will be able to load it with? I know I don't have to worry about if it weighs enough for some time, but I'd like to know just in case I suddenly become strong with those block weights. :rolleyes

I have ~2-3mm lead shot and the total weight will be ~23kg which is not enough. So better buy smaller lead shots. In my case I'll add the next 5kgs lead shot in a metal box+magnet to the blobette. The lead shot was very expensive - but lead is much heavier than steel...

I just ordered a Blobette from PDA after considering for a while. I ended up with that, as I figure out that its a fool proof way to make steady progress little by little. It's also as close to a real thing as I can get here, it seems. I just can't wait to get my hands on that!

You wont regret that its a great tool.I live in the UK and couldnt get a blob anywhere so I bought the Blobbette as the next best thing.Its a well made tool that allows me to work as heavy or light as I want.I also bought the Blobette 45 aswell

Thanks Mark

All right guys, thanks for the information, much appreciated!

Only annoying thing about this is that lead shot is really expensive around here, I made some comparisons between different countries and tough luck, it truly is overprized here. But I don't care, I just want to get stronger.

Edited by Teemu I

How much sand can it hold, and how much does it weigh after?

Directly from PDA-site: "Filled with sand the Blobette™ 50 will nominally weigh 11 pounds + the shell difference 6 pounds = 17 pounds max."

So not very much. Therefore I'm going to get some lead shot.

Edited by Teemu I

I use Number 8 lead shot. It is at 50lbs right now, there is room for a few more pounds.

I use Number 8 lead shot. It is at 50lbs right now, there is room for a few more pounds.

Tell me, what does that number 8 actually mean, in terms of measurements? 8 mm? I guess not.. ??? Has to be quite small, if the 2-3 mm Burkhard has leaves it too light.

Edited by Teemu I

Tell me, what does that number 8 actually mean, in terms of measurements? 8 mm? I guess not.. ??? Has to be quite small, if the 2-3 mm Burkhard has leaves it too light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun#Shot

A little over 2mm

The differences I notice between my blobette and the blob50 I have is the edges on the blobette are a bit sharper and the surface has become a tad slicker with use. I completely packed my blobette with #8 and it came out to about ~52lbs iirc. I recently had a buddy melt all the lead (packed full) and its now about 3/4's full. I've added shot to that and its up to about 58 1/2 lbs. I'd imagine one could get into the low 60's completely full of melted #8 shot.

Edited by maidenfan

The differences I notice between my blobette and the blob50 I have is the edges on the blobette are a bit sharper and the surface has become a tad slicker with use.

Same here.

The differences I notice between my blobette and the blob50 I have is the edges on the blobette are a bit sharper and the surface has become a tad slicker with use. I completely packed my blobette with #8 and it came out to about ~52lbs iirc. I recently had a buddy melt all the lead (packed full) and its now about 3/4's full. I've added shot to that and its up to about 58 1/2 lbs. I'd imagine one could get into the low 60's completely full of melted #8 shot.

Thanks, that's also useful info for me.

how do you guys feel about that blobette, if the weight would be exactly the same, would it be exactly as hard to lift as the real blob, assuming that you use a new blobette? I know that blobette has that texture and all, but what do you think?

Edited by Teemu I

how do you guys feel about that blobette, if the weight would be exactly the same, would it be exactly as hard to lift as the real blob? I know that blobette has that texture and all, but what do you think?

When I could pull 46-47lbs on the Blobette, the BLOB50 was a go. Hands are a tad under 7.5".

Your mileage may vary.

how do you guys feel about that blobette, if the weight would be exactly the same, would it be exactly as hard to lift as the real blob? I know that blobette has that texture and all, but what do you think?

When I could pull 46-47lbs on the Blobette, the BLOB50 was a go. Hands are a tad under 7.5".

Your mileage may vary.

OK, that sounds to me like I ordered a good piece of equipment.

I ordered 25 kg:s of 2mm lead shot (smallest I could find), most of it should fit in the blobette I guess, if not all. The cheapest prize I could get was 4€/kg, which makes my new grip toy quite expensive, but I think it's going to be worth it :cool

Args - I lifted 47,24 pounds on the blobette and I still can't lift my Blob50! :( My hands are 7 7/8 inch. Hopefully a matter of time!

@Teemu I: Hope to see You posting Your progress - maybe in a training log? :)

Args - I lifted 47,24 pounds on the blobette and I still can't lift my Blob50! :( My hands are 7 7/8 inch. Hopefully a matter of time!

@Teemu I: Hope to see You posting Your progress - maybe in a training log? :)

I will be posting about my experiences with that blobette, training log with all the grip stuff at least would be cool, but I'm soon heading for a summer holiday and will not have regular access to a computer until the beginning of the July, so I'm thinking of starting that grip training log by then. Of course I'll be taking advantage of the holiday and will be training harder than ever, but that training log has to wait.

Thanks for Your interest!

OK, train hard! :rock

Try a set-up like THIS - it helped me tremendously lifting the blob. You get some assistance on the bottom (the hard part) and you get some resistance on the top (the easy part).

Try a set-up like THIS - it helped me tremendously lifting the blob. You get some assistance on the bottom (the hard part) and you get some resistance on the top (the easy part).

That looks like a very good idea to me. I've been doing some pinching with awkward blocks that I have, and I've been lifting them off the soft mattress. That has served two purposes: helped me to get some movement when the blocks were still too much for my grip and they didn't crash the floor as my grip failed.

Your tip is even better, thanks!

Edited by Teemu I

Just watch your feet :blink When the blob comes out of your hand with that set up, it goes fast and hard.

Edited by maidenfan