• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGuy

• rbrown

• JustinH

• God-man

I took some of my weights and my RT handle to work today.

Quite a few people were interested in it, and one of my co-workers was asking me about it today. Anyhow, I set it up outside - since it was a nice day - and everyone tried to do what I showed them what I can do on it. I loaded it up to 135 pounds, snapped on the RT handle and everyone got a chance to lift it.

The results surprised even me. One guy who doesn't know jack about weights or weight training pulled 135 pounds with almost no effort! :ohmy

Most failed at 135 pounds with the RT handle. I had a "D" ring handle and with that attached, some could lift the weight.

BTW, the co-worker who was asking me about it... he was the most gung-ho about how he was gonna pull it up... failed to budge the 135# RT weight. We had a good laugh about it, and I told him that he needed to start training his grip! :D

Jeff you bring up your thickbar shit and you will kick ass in the Michigan contest!

I did 165 my first time, have gotten 195-205 up pretty sloppily.

A whole bunch of people have tried it at the gym I'm going to. The owner has even put up peoples names and the weight they did. We're having bit of a grip competition going. There's the RT, pinch 2 25's one hand, 2 45's two handed, and probably coming up IM handgrips.

ill be able to tell you my first rt lift in a few hours, gonna take it to the gym today for the first time :D

It is made of metal but I don't see how a plastic one would be harder. It's a smooth handle with no knurling whatsoever.

metal is just easier to hold onto than plastic. Same thing with aluminum. If you ever try some Alumitech farmers implements, they are far harder than steel implements such as those made by Mastiff. Same thing with the ironmind pinch block that is super slick--with 2x4s the same width I can lift far more.

Mine is smooth also, but you see the differences in the weights I can lift--it's about a 20% difference. Before I discovered that the newer Rolling Thunders are made of plastic, I wondered how it was possible that I could beat the world record. I have a good grip for sure, but I couldn't imagine it beating guys like Odd and Pfister. I can guarantee you that those guys could lift 290 plus on a metal one. I just hit 279.5 on mine the other day for a new PR.

BTW, not sure what others experiences have been, but I find chalk to be useless (actually harmful) on a new slick PVC Rolling Thunder. Best to just rub your hands together really fast just before you go to get them nice and dry. You didn't hear this from me....lol, but I've heard some of the top guys use acetone on their hands just before picking up the plastic rolling thunder in competition; if it is not completely dry before they grab the handle, it will eat the black paint off of the handle.

mine is a home made job with 2 3/8th diameter, it rolls smoothly, what is the Ironmind dia? I don't use it much and I don't remember the first try but I'm at 175lb now.

2 3/8" is correct.

To me, it is not super relevant how easy the handle rolls. I do not attempt to cock it; I just get directly over it and set up as if it has already rolled to the bottom position.

What is very relevant is how slick the handle is; the new ones (as in out of the box never used PVC one from Ironmind) are so slick that they almost feel like they have grease on them sometimes. It is depressing...lol

181 first time, 225 is my best

Related question: Now that the RTs are made with PVC which item would you guys recommend if I were to order direct, a new PVC RT or a 2.5" Crusher from Fat Bastard? Thanks....

Chris

Related question: Now that the RTs are made with PVC which item would you guys recommend if I were to order direct, a new PVC RT or a 2.5" Crusher from Fat Bastard? Thanks....

Chris

As long as I can remember the Ironmind RT has had a PVC sleeve. The design or materials have not changed.

I'm glad you said that OldGuy, as I was pretty sure it hadn't changed either.

I have a metal one that was sold as an Ironmind rolling thunder at a strongman show years ago. I did not actually purchase it so I can't add much more detail than that--other than to say that other than the fact that it is metal, it is identical to the Ironmind RT in all respects (dimensions, etc.).

According to Warren Tetting, he is the creator of the rolling thunder and he originally made them of metal. He apparently sold many of his grip ideas to Ironmind including the grippers and rolling thunder. He said that Ironmind then began making them of plastic at some point later. Dr. Strossen told me that they have always been made of plastic so a tad of a contradiction, but it is possible that Tetting meant he made his of metal and that Ironmind then immediately began making them of plastic.

The metal one is superior in quality, but is easier. Maybe Ironmind wanted to make it more of a true grip only contest so that how much you could deadlift would have much less to do with the outcome...not sure. Either that or perhaps just a way to cut costs...

Chris

It depends if you are concerned about comparing your performances to those in RT contests. If not, I would say the Crusher is a superior product in terms of quality and will last longer without degrading.

I got 150 first try, now im at 170 on the new handel.

Edited by handgripperman

All I am trying to do, is clear up some confusion. Some believe that Ironmind is making a new harder RT, which is not true. Others believe that Ironmind has recently begun making the handles with a PVC sleeve, which is not true. Your metal RT made by Tetting may be the only one known of it's kind. What is true, is that a well used RT is easier than an RT fresh out of the package, and therefore a new one.

All I am trying to do, is clear up some confusion. Some believe that Ironmind is making a new harder RT, which is not true. Others believe that Ironmind has recently begun making the handles with a PVC sleeve, which is not true. Your metal RT made by Tetting may be the only one known of it's kind. What is true, is that a well used RT is easier than an RT fresh out of the package, and therefore a new one.

Oh, I know OldGuy, you are correct; there is nothing new as of late with the Ironmind RT. My post regarding the metal RT was probably confusing to those that are not super familar with Ironmind and its products. I was just sharing my knowledge about the metal one I have so people would not wonder what I am talking about. My metal one may or may not be manufactured by Ironmind and it may be one of a kind or one of many.

It depends if you are concerned about comparing your performances to those in RT contests.  If not, I would say the Crusher is a superior product in terms of quality and will last longer without degrading.

At my strength levels I don't think I'll be competing anytime soon. :blush

Thanks for the product clarification as well guys.

Chris

I got 90 or 95kg (I can't remember lol) my first time, was after a deadlift and grip session, so could probably have done 100kg if I was fresh. Was on a pretty much new impliment and very little grip training prior. 90-95kg=200-215pounds I think.

First and only time I got 155 opener, jumped to 185 and it just hovered for a moment. My unfamiliarity with the device cost me, I could have done around 170. This was at a RT benefit just before NASS Nationals like 3 years ago. JV Askem (RIP) was there and only did 190 I think, his best was 220ish? Shawn Baker if I remember won the heavies with 205. I thought we all sucked bad but Randy was there (didn't know it, at least somebody told me he was) and it was sponsored by IM so I am assuming it was a new (unused) RT. This would make a difference. It was reported in Milo that some guy (name forgotten) won the lights with 150 on his 2nd attempt but, my opener was higher so obviously I won, but nothing to brag about so I didn't complain. Next week hopefully I'll try the RT again and see what I can do.

• 7 months later...

Some days ago I tested a RT. 147 lbs total weight was the result.

i got 135 to a full dead easy, and broke 150 or 155 off the ground.....this was towards the end of a strongman contest, so my grip was shit.....havent tried one since then.....wish i could order one, but it was so expensive

• 1 year later...

I don't have all the stuff to do a deadlift with it.....but I know doing some wrist curls with it from the high pully trying it out. I did 70-90 pounds with it, I dunno how much I could do with for an actuall workout.

Is that good?

I don't have all the stuff to do a deadlift with it.....but I know doing some wrist curls with it from the high pully trying it out. I did 70-90 pounds with it, I dunno how much I could do with for an actuall workout.

Is that good?

LOL Everytime I post it seems a thread dies......

165lbs. first time.

185lbs. is my best.

I can't say boo to it when I am training strongman event heavy (as in now!).