Calibrated Fat Bastard Stocks

EricMilfeld

Thanks for the compliments guys they are what keeps me at it that and the fact that i love pain in a nice masokistic sort of way :rolleyes

Kevin shure can send you some of that bro and some stainless hex will sort it i will get some off to Eric as well.

This was after a warmup the 3rd hard bend i performed that day were everything just came together :cool It was the highlight of my bending career so far.

I will re-edit the video IE:-take away the music and restore it to its full length and you can see it in all its glory its a much better version :D

You will have to be quick tho as youtube might pull it as there is lots of swearing in it.

I've added to the list two 3/8 x 7" bolts, and two pieces of 3/8" steel at 7". Pretty interesting. The steel rods are the next small increment above an Edgin.

You recent additions confirms what I've always suspected and that the crs and the hrs is actually the same stuff at these lowes and home-depot type store. I learned that from my first long bar bends. I've got 5/16 and I get the 2 confused. Both are really like "mild cold-rolled" in function.

Thanks for the work on this stuff Eric!

John I can't give you much of an opinion because I'm not up to FBBC bending levels....yet. 11/32 seems like a real good one though.

As for titles immagine this one.... mother of all insane shiny hexabastards.

Tim

To John Beatty: 11/32" Shiny, 11/32" Hex, then 11/32" Shiny AND Hex would be awesome. Sometimes it would be nice at contests to have a harder piece of steel at the longer length, rather than having to just cut down a Bastard or Hex.

To John Beatty: 11/32" Shiny, 11/32" Hex, then 11/32" Shiny AND Hex would be awesome. Sometimes it would be nice at contests to have a harder piece of steel at the longer length, rather than having to just cut down a Bastard or Hex.

I think Eric touched on this having a contest with just one length but lots of stock at the one length it would be great if it was once a year each year a different length then we could train are arses off on the one length instead of up and down with various lengths.

I wonder how good one could get just dedicating one year to a certain length say 7" I can here the 3/8"hex stainless calling :whistel

Added to the list is the Steel Works 5/16x7" HRS.

Eric, I got the 5/16 Stainless hex from a local steel dude dude

The more I calibrate the more eye opening it becomes.

I've added to the list two more King of All Bastards bars. Last time I calibrated a single bar at 735, but today two bars hit only 645 and 635. This is within reach of several top benders. This also further illustrates the need for calibrating according to batch.

Another Edgin hitting 565, makes three for three with all hitting that poundage.

Two more 5/16 x 7" grade 8s hit 675 each. The last one I did for John hit 685. Very consistent, just like the Edgins.

A 6" Edgin required more weight than I've ever needed before - 745 pounds!

John was also kind enough to send me some 307A "DF" 3/8 x 7" bolts, for possible inclusion in this year's Show of Hands Grip Cup. He hit the nail on the head by suspecting they could help bridge the gap between the Edgin and the big grade 8, but a problem arose with their lack of consistency. The first one hit 595, the second 610, and the third melted at only 575.

Eric

Wow thats 100lbs difference makes me wonder what the 3/8"king bend that was done came out at as david horne found out when he was batch testing his competition bars you have to batch test.

100ibs difference thats the difference between there being only 1 king of all bastards and maybe another 3-4 :whistel

I bet the stainless 5/16"round stainless ive sent you comes out very close to the stainless youve tested for fbbc because its much more quality controlled than crs i also bet the 5/16"stainless hex ive sent comes out close to the one you calibrated for Booyah.

Thanks for the hard work as i pionted out a while back stuff needs to be batch tested.

I personally find that stainless has much more accuracy per batch than CRS thats one of the reasons i use it plus its a harder bend on the crush so you get a better workout per bar.

Like David used to do i batch test all my Stainless so i know what i am dealing with,

Gazza, that crazy crushdown is why I HATE stainless! Oh, and the fact that my crush is much less than I wish it was. :tongue

I bet the stainless 5/16"round stainless ive sent you comes out very close to the stainless youve tested for fbbc because its much more quality controlled than crs i also bet the 5/16"stainless hex ive sent comes out close to the one you calibrated for Booyah.

Cool! Is this the same stuff you sent me, or rather that Maximus sent me? I look forward to hearing how it rates. But I did feel like it was the same as the stuff Acorn sent me.

I've added to the list two more King of All Bastards bars. Last time I calibrated a single bar at 735, but today two bars hit only 645 and 635. This is within reach of several top benders. This also further illustrates the need for calibrating according to batch.

Another Edgin hitting 565, makes three for three with all hitting that poundage.

Two more 5/16 x 7" grade 8s hit 675 each. The last one I did for John hit 685. Very consistent, just like the Edgins.

John was also kind enough to send me some 307A "DF" 3/8 x 7" bolts, for possible inclusion in this year's Show of Hands Grip Cup. He hit the nail on the head by suspecting they could help bridge the gap between the Edgin and the big grade 8, but a problem arose with their lack of consistency. The first one hit 595, the second 610, and the third melted at only 575.

Astonishing difference! Glad you tested those and found that out. And very cool about the 6" Edgin! That was a tough piece to get past 45 degrees! The 5.5" Edgin that I got to 20 or so was much nastier. Wonder how much that would rate? More than I'd like to try to pull. :tongue Are you going to let loose of those King of All Bastards that came up soft? Meaning, do you have more of them for us to train with to hit the real deal?

Astonishing difference! Glad you tested those and found that out. And very cool about the 6" Edgin! That was a tough piece to get past 45 degrees! The 5.5" Edgin that I got to 20 or so was much nastier. Wonder how much that would rate? More than I'd like to try to pull. :tongue Are you going to let loose of those King of All Bastards that came up soft? Meaning, do you have more of them for us to train with to hit the real deal?

Mr. Beatty sent me two of these. I'm ordering thirty more King of All Bastard bars. And, yes, I'll gladly send you a couple.

• 2 weeks later...

Added to the list is the F-911 bolt.

I've updated the plot and spreadsheet with the latest data from the first post in this thread:

Image (viewable in your web browser)

PDF (easy printing if you have adobe reader)

Excel (includes source data if you want to change it)

It would be nice to see numbers added for the ironmind stock, timber ties, and the range of 60d nails that are out there. I don't have that data though.

Guys, a question please:

You have a grade 8 (FBBC) rated at 460

And a bastard (7x5/16 Round (FBBC) rated at 440

I was always under the impression that a grade 8 was easier than a IM red and an IM red was easier than a bastard? Am I misunderstanding something? I am trying to catch up with all this - please bear with me :blush

Guys, a question please:

You have a grade 8 (FBBC) rated at 460

And a bastard (7x5/16 Round (FBBC) rated at 440

I was always under the impression that a grade 8 was easier than a IM red and an IM red was easier than a bastard? Am I misunderstanding something? I am trying to catch up with all this - please bear with me :blush

Jim, the calibration figures are meant to be used only for comparing pieces of steel of the same length.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a good part of the evening getting caught up on some calibrating.

Two of the new Bastards hit only 385 pounds. That's a 55 pond difference from the original batch I calibrated.

Two King of All Bastard bars from a batch I just purchased hit 655 and 660.

The new King of All Shiny Bastards (3/8 x 7") hit 820 pounds, which is basically the same bar Gazza bent (5 pounds less than Gazza's).

I spent a good part of the evening getting caught up on some calibrating.

Two of the new Bastards hit only 385 pounds. That's a 55 pond difference from the original batch I calibrated.

Two King of All Bastard bars from a batch I just purchased hit 655 and 660.

The new King of All Shiny Bastards (3/8 x 7") hit 820 pounds, which is basically the same bar Gazza bent (5 pounds less than Gazza's).

Thats good now i cannot wait to get my hands on some and destroy it.

Added to the list are three 3/8 x 7" bolts:

"JG" = 485

"CYI" = 520

"BL" = 620

I also calibrated another KOAB bars at 665 pounds.

Is it fair to assume this is from the batch that terminator bent? I remember John saying he had sent you one not long ago.

Tim

Is it fair to assume this is from the batch that terminator bent? I remember John saying he had sent you one not long ago.

Tim

Tim, for the time being I won't be disclosing the calibration ranking of the bar Pat bent.

Eric

Do you have any 3/8"x7" G5 bolts and what do you think they would calibrate out to.

Gazza, no, I've never come across any of those bolts.