PatrickMeniru

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 4 Months and 27 Days
  • Local time: 11:54 AM

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:07 AM

At the moment i generally have nobody to train with and so i find it tough to stick to routines. I'm hoping that posting here will motivate me to stick with the programme and make progress with my goals, which include:

1) Get down below 85kg bodyweight - currently 90kg
2) Close the CoC #3 MMS - currently can TNS the #2
3) Hold a front lever for 5 seconds
4) Flag hold for 5 seconds
5) General improvement in cardio-vascular conditioning for football (soccer) season

I'm a student and so not flush with a lot of cash at the moment and so i can't afford a gym membership. As a result i will be focussing on calisthenics, with the occasional gym session when i can get in with a friend, when i get back to university i will be able to use the gym facilities there for squats, dead-lifts etc.

I'm very new to grip and calisthenics, so any and all advice/criticisms would be greatly appreciated :grin:

#2 OFFLINE   RichAZ

RichAZ

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 0

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 1 Month and 10 Days
  • Local time: 04:54 AM

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:12 AM

I have no one to train with were i live as well. Posting stuff does help motovate. Good luck on your goals.

#3 OFFLINE   Chez

Chez

COC #3, MM6, MM2 (Off -Hand), Red Nail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 6 Months and 4 Days
  • Local time: 06:54 AM

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:26 AM

Me to. no one I know is into grip training. I'll be following your progress. Good Luck man.

#4 OFFLINE   PatrickMeniru

PatrickMeniru

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:31 PM

Today was my first training session for a week or so, before i get into what i did, just a couple of points, when i refer to pull-ups/chins/levers i'm doing them on a 2" bar, not sure if this will help my grip or not? But it's all i have to work with at this time. Also dips are done on a couple of posts at the bottom of the stairs, approx 29" apart.

Grippers:

Warm Up - 2 x 6 store gripper, each hand

2 x 5 TNS CoC #1 each hand
3 x 5 TNS CoC #2 each hand - reps to approx 1.5" gap between handles
3 x 1 Negatives with #3 choked to 1" LH - right wrist was hurting at this point after golfing incident a few days ago, so i missed the negatives
1 x 12 second hold with #2 RH
1 x 10 second hold with #2 LH
1 x 25 TNS #1 each hand - as explosive as possible, although for both hands the last 5 reps were quite slow due to fatigue.

Cooldown - 1 x 10 store gripper each hand, 1 x 10 store gripper inverted each hand

Upper Body/Core:

Warm-up - 2 slow chins and 2 slow pull-ups followed by one explosive chin and one explosive pull-up.

4 x 5 muscle ups - explosive, with slight kick - maybe one day i'll get a slow one... :happy
3 x (20 dips, 20 hanging leg raises [to parallel with floor], 10 pull-ups, 10 chins)
Some very light levering with an old steel pogo stick - will add ankle weights to the end for more resistance.
1 x back lever for 3 seconds - felt like an hour :blink
2 x tucked front lever, thighs perpendicular to body, 5 seconds each
2 x 5 handstand pushups against wall
1 x 10 straight arm side raises with 5kg dumbbell
1 x 10 straight arm front raises with 5kg dumbbell
1 x (10 pushups, 10 close hand position pushups, 10 wide pushups, 10 fingertip pushups)
5 x (20 crunches, 20 oblique crunches on each side, 20 v-sit crunches, 20 russian twists with 5kg dumbbell)

Cooldown - Jogged a mile

Cardio/Legs:
Played football casually at the park for 3 hours

Tomorrow will likely be a rest day, with a few sit-ups and maybe a run, as i'm attending a wedding.

#5 OFFLINE   PatrickMeniru

PatrickMeniru

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:37 AM

Yesterday, managed to squeeze in a light session, no grip work.

2 x 50 pushups
1 x 20 shoulder press pushups
1 x 5 pseudo-planche pushups
1 x 10 super-wide pushups
1 x 5 narrow pushups
1 x 12 spartan pushups? (walking pushup arms but remaining stationary)
1 x 5 one arm tricep dips each arm
1 x 10 tricep dips
1 x 10 dips
1 x 4 slow dragon flags
3 x (20 crunches, 20 oblique crunches on each side, 20 v-sit crunches, 20 russian twists with 5kg dumbbell)
1 x 20 second L-Seat
1 x 20 leg raises
1 x 20 situps

5 mile run

Trying to work on shoulder strength, some snowboarding injuries have left both shoulders a little weak and i would like to build up to a straddle planche eventually, but at the moment i'm not even able to tuck planche - anyone got any good bodyweight exercises for shoulder strength?

Edited by patrickmeniru, 04 September 2011 - 03:40 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   PatrickMeniru

PatrickMeniru

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:24 AM

Yesterdays workout:

All exercises repeated with both hands unless otherwise stated.
RH = Right Hand
LH = Left Hand
(Just to clarify :) )

Grippers:
1 x 10 store
1 x 10 store inverted
1 x 6 NS #1
1 x 6 NS #1 inverted - not all full closes, sometimes i get it, sometimes not - any tips on consistent invert closes? it doesn't seem to be a strength issue as much as a positioning one.
20 Bodyweight Squats
2 x 6 NS #2 - felt weak after 2nd set, had planned 3.
1 x 20second hold with #2 (tough)
3 x 10 TNS #1 explosive as possible, left hand currently better for reps than right, but right better explosiveness and ultimate strength slightly.
1 x 100 store gripper
2 x 50 store gripper inverted
2 x 50 extensor work in rice - really made my forearms burn.

An idea with the gripper progression from #2 to #3, is making the #2 closes harder by holding the gripper higher up the handles a good progression idea or not? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere that i recall...

Non-Gripper Grip Work:

2 x 10 towel pull-ups
2 x 10 reps wrist levering in each position, i'll get the weight and length of the pogo-stick with ankle weight i use soon.
2 x 4 wrist roller, each rep is up and down, weight approx. 5kg roller diameter is 2.75"
brick work as detailed by John Brookfield here http://www.ironmind...._challenge.html
(4 bricks for 10 second hold)
2 x 8 wrist curls with 22.5kg
1 x 5 pronated bicep curls with approx 18kg (i use a toolbox with bricks on top as i only have 5kg dumbbells)
1 x 5 pull-ups
1 x 5 chin-ups

General work:
5 second back lever hold - really solid form, PB hold :grin: got a video but it's very dark, i'll try for another one at some stage, it does stress the tendons around the elbow insertion point of the bicep making them a bit sore for 5 minutes afterward, should i worry about this?
3 x ( 3 x dragon flags, 5 x full ROM hanging leg raises)
5 x 30 push-ups, mix of normal, wide and shoulder focussed.
1 x 2 One arm pushups (2 each arm)
4 x (15 cruches, 15 foot reaches, 10 oblique crunches on each side)
1 mile jog

Any and all feedback is much appreciated :)

#7 OFFLINE   PatrickMeniru

PatrickMeniru

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:12 PM

Today:

Grip work:

Had planned a day off, but when i was at the track some people had plates out for power-cleans and i thought it would be a waste of an opportunity to try some pinching to work on my thumb pad.

10 x One hand pinches with two 10kg plates. Varying length lifts, between 3 seconds and 15 seconds, walked about a little while pinching to make it a bit tougher on some of the reps. First try pinching, so i was just experimenting and having fun frankly.
1 x 5 three finger one arm dead-lift with 60kg olympic bar
1 x 5 two finger one arm dead-lift with 60kg olympic bar
1 x 5 plate curls with 10kg plate

General Work:
1 x 10 tyre flips, not sure about the size of the tyre, wasn't particularly heavy.
1 x 6 clean and press with 60kg olympic bar
Athletics training, some light sprints and standing jumps, drills.
Handstand balancing practice
Back bridge! Never had the flexibility/strength to do this before so i was pretty pleased :blush
3 x 5 handstand press-ups
1 x 3 handstand press-ups - failed the last two reps of my 4th set of 5 reps.
1 x 10 dips
1 x 10 hanging leg raises to parallel with ground
2 x 5 wide grip pull-ups
100 consecutive max height bounces on garden trampoline - tougher than it sounds! (or at least tougher than i think it should be :laugh )

Pretty light day to be honest, left out most of the core work as it's been a while since i was training seriously and i don't want to overtrain at this early stage, planning to do muscle up and pull-up/chin work tomorrow with 500 or so sit-up variation reps.

#8 OFFLINE   bencrush

bencrush

1st Fantastic Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 8 Months and 11 Days
  • Local time: 05:54 AM

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:25 PM

Lot of solid work here! Holding the #2 higher up on the handles is a good way to progress...if you don't have a harder gripper. Buy a #3 as soon as you can since it's your goal gripper!

#9 OFFLINE   PatrickMeniru

PatrickMeniru

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:17 PM

Ah, i thought so, but i wasn't sure, cheers :)
I do have a #3, choked to parallel, but i can't even keep the handles together for a hold or even control the first 1/2" or so of a negative. It just opens to about 1/2" as soon as i remove the assisting hand, and i can hold it at that.

I'll put up a video of me squeezing the #3 in the choker, then forcing the close with my other hand and attempting a controlled negative. To illustrate my problem.

I'm planning on getting a 2.5# to help bridge the enormous gap between #2 and #3, although i find myself putting it off as it would be a huge psychological boost for me to close it out of the packaging, and i'm not sure i'm ready for it yet!

#10 OFFLINE   PatrickMeniru

PatrickMeniru

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:32 AM

Yesterday I had planned a tough, non-grip session for today with some weighted pulls and tough core workout, but my body decided otherwise...

General Workout:

Warmup: 5 slow chins, 5 slow pull-ups, 2 explosive chins, 2 explosive pull-ups

Muscle ups: 1 x 2 - had planned sets of 5 but failed, muscles more tired than i thought, cold probably isn't helping but decide to focus on abs rather than lats/back.

2 x 8 L-seat chins with ankle weights
2 x 8 L-seat wide grip pull-ups with ankle weights
1 x 8 windshield wipers

Started to get persistent aching in right elbow, probably a tendonitis warning so i stopped hanging exercises.

2 x 20 squats
2 x 20 split bounces
2 x 20 burpees
1 x 5 tucked dragon flags
2 x 10 pushups
1 x 6 pseudo planche pushups

The dragon flags and the pushups started to make the elbow worse so i stopped those too :(

1 x 5 One left arm pushups, with very slight assist from right arm
1 x 20 leg raises ankle weights
5 x (20 crunches, 20 oblique crunches on each side, 20 v-sit crunches, 20 russian twists with 5kg dumbbell)
1 x 30 crunches
2 x 6 eccentric hamstring lowers/falls
1 x 20 hyperextensions (back)

1 x 1 mile run
1 x 1 mile jog

Took some ibuprofen for the elbow, will ice it too. Today i'll take a day off completely from upper body work other than some crunches, leg raises, and back extensions. I've got athletics training and might play football for a while. I'm going to do a gripper session but just a light one with my left hand only, as it is slightly weaker than my right hand at present and perhaps this will be a good opportunity for it to catch up somewhat.

#11 OFFLINE   PatrickMeniru

PatrickMeniru

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:01 AM

Had athletics training yesterday, besides that did very little, after demonstrating some of the core exercises i had been doing to my coach the elbow began to hurt again (very frustrating, i've suffered from patella tendonitis for a long time so this is the last thing i need :( ). Going to rest totally today and continue to ice.

Tried some grippers yesterday with the left hand, but felt extremely weak and only just managed a couple of reps with my #2 so decided to abandon the session.

Any tips on recovery/prevention of tendonitis in the elbow would be much appreciated (beyond icing, ibuprofen and extensor work).

#12 OFFLINE   PatrickMeniru

PatrickMeniru

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:14 AM

So, no work yesterday, ate continuously all day, when i can't exercise i get slightly depressed and make up for it by just eating everything in sight, idiotic i know but hey... Just sets me back a little on the weight-loss plan.

Today i'm going to go for a light jog with the football and do some abs and grippers with the left hand, i'll post the specifics in a few hours when i've finished.

#13 OFFLINE   Big T

Big T

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 4 Months and 7 Days
  • Local time: 06:54 AM

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:17 PM

Today was my first training session for a week or so, before i get into what i did, just a couple of points, when i refer to pull-ups/chins/levers i'm doing them on a 2" bar, not sure if this will help my grip or not? But it's all i have to work with at this time. Also dips are done on a couple of posts at the bottom of the stairs, approx 29" apart.

Grippers:

Warm Up - 2 x 6 store gripper, each hand

2 x 5 TNS CoC #1 each hand
3 x 5 TNS CoC #2 each hand - reps to approx 1.5" gap between handles
3 x 1 Negatives with #3 choked to 1" LH - right wrist was hurting at this point after golfing incident a few days ago, so i missed the negatives
1 x 12 second hold with #2 RH
1 x 10 second hold with #2 LH
1 x 25 TNS #1 each hand - as explosive as possible, although for both hands the last 5 reps were quite slow due to fatigue.

Cooldown - 1 x 10 store gripper each hand, 1 x 10 store gripper inverted each hand

Upper Body/Core:

Warm-up - 2 slow chins and 2 slow pull-ups followed by one explosive chin and one explosive pull-up.

4 x 5 muscle ups - explosive, with slight kick - maybe one day i'll get a slow one... :happy
3 x (20 dips, 20 hanging leg raises [to parallel with floor], 10 pull-ups, 10 chins)
Some very light levering with an old steel pogo stick - will add ankle weights to the end for more resistance.
1 x back lever for 3 seconds - felt like an hour :blink
2 x tucked front lever, thighs perpendicular to body, 5 seconds each
2 x 5 handstand pushups against wall
1 x 10 straight arm side raises with 5kg dumbbell
1 x 10 straight arm front raises with 5kg dumbbell
1 x (10 pushups, 10 close hand position pushups, 10 wide pushups, 10 fingertip pushups)

Cooldown - Jogged a mile

Cardio/Legs:
Played football casually at the park for 3 hours

Tomorrow will likely be a rest day, with a few sit-ups and maybe a run, as i'm attending a wedding.

Man what a workout :ohmy

#14 OFFLINE   PatrickMeniru

PatrickMeniru

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:32 AM

Haha, thanks :) although i think i started out too hard, having to take a step back now to let the elbow heal. Planning to resume basic abs work and jogging tomorrow. Probably leave out pull-up work and grip for a few more days.

#15 OFFLINE   PatrickMeniru

PatrickMeniru

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:52 AM

Okay, haven't posted up here for a few weeks, i was pretty much resting up my elbow - also went on holiday to Bulgaria for a week with some friends. Whilst away i actually managed to pull off a Flag on both sides, much to my own surprise! I think it had a lot to do with finding the right handholds, so i'm really pleased about that achievement, i managed to hold it for about 5 seconds and i'll upload a photo as soon as i get hold of the images from a friend.

Im planning to ease back into the calisthenics, will be doing a fair bit of running too as the football season has now started. Hopefully my elbow will cooperate!

#16 OFFLINE   PatrickMeniru

PatrickMeniru

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:29 AM

For some reason i can't upload photos to this site at the moment, but when i find the time i'll make a flag video instead and link the YouTube page.

Did a light session yesterday, didn't record the reps:

Chins
Pull-ups
Pushups
Ab-wheel
Handstand Pushups
Football training for two hours

#17 OFFLINE   PatrickMeniru

PatrickMeniru

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:10 AM

Yesterday:

Played football for an hour, with warm-up and cool-down afterwards.
1 x 6 clapping pull-ups
1 x 6 slow pull-ups in L-seat position
1 x 6 wide grip pull-ups
1 x 6 chin-ups
3 x 6 handstand pushups against wall
4 x 10 pushups
1 x 10 clapping pushups from fingertips
1 x 20 tricep dips
1 x 3 hanging leg raises
3 x 5 ab-wheel rollouts from kneeling
1 x 30 #1 closes each hand
1 x 20 situps
2 x 10 crunches
2 x 10 oblique crunches1 x 10 leg raises

#18 OFFLINE   PatrickMeniru

PatrickMeniru

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:04 PM

3 x 5 muscle ups
1 x 5 wide grip pull-ups
1 x 5 close grip chin-ups
2 x 20 dips
3 x 6 bicep curls 18kg
1 x 3 overhead dumbbell press 27.5kg
2 x 6 overhead dumbbell press 18kg
1 x 10 benchpress 27.5kg dumbbells
2 x 6 tricep pull-downs 35kg

Some other shoulder and back work, nothing really worth documenting - can't remember the specifics so won't put anything down, stuff like pushup variations, front raises and rows.

2 x 6 hanging leg raises
1 x 3 dragon flags
3 x (20 crunches, 20 oblique crunches each side, 20 feet raised crunches, 20 russian twists)

#19 OFFLINE   PatrickMeniru

PatrickMeniru

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:45 PM

Had a pretty tough football training session today for a couple of hours, then did some grip work.
Was a little slack about recording exactly what i did, but i went for lots of reps of the #1 and #2, hopefully this will help me lay a foundation of strong tendons and ligaments in my hand and forearm so that i can deal with heavy negatives and such later on - was reading something Paul Knight wrote to this effect, also, i think my body responds well to slightly higher reps.

I'm hoping that this approach for a few weeks will help me prevent injury and also enable me to mash the 2.5 out of the packet when i do get one. Going to aim for 10 solid back to back TNS reps with the #2 - i think i have an easy one, so hopefully i'll get a average/hard 2.5, although no way to calibrate grippers at present.

Lots of TNS #2 singles with both hands - probably about 20 each hand
4 x 5 TNS #2 opening fully each rep
3 x 5 TNS #1 as explosive as possible
2 x 10 TNS #1
1 x 20 TNS #1
1 x 30 CCS #1

Some wrist roller work.

#20 OFFLINE   PatrickMeniru

PatrickMeniru

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:34 PM

Oh and i forgot to add a hundred sit-up/crunches - a few different variations.
Might do a hill run before football training tomorrow, as i ate a bunch of junk tonight and am feeling guilty.