Quest For Gripstrength Starting With Gripper #3

Geralt

Dankjewel Joefrey! It seems I am pretty consistent lately. Hope it stays that way. You doing fine? 

Yes, very fine. Training much more since January. Without injury. 

Main focus on RT, pinch gripping and steel bending. FatGripz handles are real marvels ! Thanks for inspiring vids about these !

Keep up the hard work man !

• Like 1

Thank you Joefrey! You too! 

Today grippers, will be doing other grip stuff later on this day. Note to myself: I have done a few Blob lifting attempts extra this week and I shouldn't have done that. It costs me too much gripper recovery. I could still feel my thumbpads a little bit when pinching and I got a big pump in my lower arms much earlier than normal. So I wasn't recovered optimally. However, got some good work. 

Now entering my hardest #3 in training, my oldest #3 is rated @157lbs recently and this is very close, if not spot on with CPW rating. It probably was harder in the beginning, since I have this one for years. It is also filed. Going to do attempts with it every training. I filmed an attempt. 

IM#1 2 x 10; 

IM#2 1 x 3 TNS, 1 x 2 TNS; 

IM#2.5 1 x 2 CCS; 

Jumped a bit too soon in my working sets, because of that I missed my MM2 replica CCS attempt. Not much, but enough to notice it not closed. Forced it closed. 

MM2  (150lbs) 1 x 1 CCS, slight miss; 

IM#3 (filed, 157lbs) 2 x 1 CCS, miss, one forced closed, the other filmed and no forced closing; 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogr7FDEybLA

IM#3 (142, filed) 2 x 1 CCS, closes, but noticable strength loss. 

Vulcan level 15, just for fun, 1 x 1 CCS, was suprised with the harder set immediately at the beginning. Missed by a mm. Maybe it can aid me in closing the hard #3 CCS. Hmmmm

IM#2.5 CCS 1 x 2 CCS closes, power went right out of the window with these. 

Incredible pump, so taking some time off and later in the day some assisting work. 

Lefty 20mm blockset work with IM#2.5, wider sets feel more comfortable than parallel sets. Motorskills on this movement have developed much less than my right dominant gripper hand, and that while I am a true southpaw. 

Edited by Geralt

It's hard to leave the blob aside when you noticed great progress. The 157 #3 was a very solid effort. Maybe do one deload training this week to give your hand a break. You won't loose any power this way. 

Edited by Grind
  • Like 1

Thnx Mark, yes it is so. Did a lot of Blob55 attempts just now and I frankly I have no idea why it came into the air recently. Tough sucker. Webbing also starts to tear a bit. This week no further griptraining, just regular squats and pressing, opposed to this week's pulling. Probably need to find a  good time to train grip somewhere beginning of next week, since easter and other family obligations etc. So at least enough resting days in between. Your arms feeling a bit better? 

Good planning Geralt. ;)

Rehab is going in the right direction but is slow. My rotator cuff triggerpoints are preventing the triggerpoints in my forearms to release. My therapist treats the rotator cuff while I use the armaid. It's hard to do nothing when I have so much new great grip stuff in my garagebox. I also want to train with my adjustable grippers. 

• Like 1

Watched the vid back a few times, I think it was pretty close, the filed handle makes for distorted view. I even was under the impression that the gripper would have been closed when it wouldn't be filed. It's mentally good for me to know that I am able to close these higher #3's otherwise this thing will never get out of my system. 

Very strong grip! Have you tried to close your 3(RGC157) with TNS(suppose it was not filed)? I am also working on my 3(CPW156) and some how no matter I try TNS or CCS both I have about 3mm left. Could it be because of my setting skill? Or is it just CCS and TNS are about the same level?

Edited by Morgan

Hey Morgan, no I have not. TNS is for me a complete other ballgame. This is because of when I try to get my fingers around the handles, the other handle (dogleg) tends to slip more backwards. The more sturdy the handles are from the beginning, the harder it is to no set. Having a solid thumbbase helps a lot there. My best TNS so far is a 135lbs close. I have concentrated a while on TNS but sonce CCS felt better lately, So I just worked on that. It's a shame when I would miss a close TNS when I could have had it with CCS. And that set is in the end the set I need for certing the #3. TNS is always king of course. You are very strong on grippers btw. Keep it up. 

• Like 3

Monday

Core workout: 

Backsquat 5 x 4 @110kg; 

Trapbar DL 1 x 3 @ 95kg; 1 x 3 @135kg; 1 x 2 @ 150kg; 2 x 2 @ 180kg. 

BW dips 1 x 5, 1 x 8, added 10kg weightvest, 1 x 5, 1 x 5, 1 x 6. Trying to keep my shoulders tucked in, good form etc. Felt good. 

Today

Core workout:

Backsquat light 5 x 5 @ 65kg just for form. 

weather was good, so worked shoulder outside where I can stand. 5 x 3 @ 60kg. My overhead work sucks but hey. Working up there. 

Horizontal rows with V-bar, feet on bench, bw. 5 x 5, with hold on top of the pull. 

Put a big Ikea closet together yesterday for my youngest daughter. Been constructing and renewing her room till late PM. Was totally wasted yesterday evening, but felt relatively good this morning after a good night sleep. Was contemplating to do grip today instead of Monday but I am glad I decided not to. No half-assed grippersessions anymore. 

No balls to the wall today, just punching the clock. 

Core workout

Backsquats 5 x 5 @110kg, felt relatively easy; building it up slowly, because normally I hit a plateau around 1150 - 120kg worksets. Next week 115kg worksets. 

Standing logbar rows @ 60kg 4 x 5; 

Pushups with 10kg Vest 5 x 10. 

Light ab work. Enough for the day. Got to do some more stuff for the kiddo's today. 

Grippertraining today.

Filed IM#1 x 10 x 5 TNS;

Filed IM#2 x 5 TNS

IM2.5 x 2 CCS;

Filed IM#3 (142) x 1 CCS;

IM#3 (144) x 1 CCS;

Filed IM#3 (157, my beast in the close) x 1 CCS, missed it, but when I look it back, I think I got it closed, but it is hard to tell because of the angle and the filing, Filing gives a distorded view for judging my own closes. Going to hit this one hard and I really want it to go beyond the range. From CCS position I can tell you that I can feel this in my tendons. Forced gripper after I couldnt budge it anymore to closed position.

Another attempt, pretty much the same.

IM#3 CCS attempt 149 lbs but was too shot to get this one done.

Filed BBGM @137lbs straphold 1 kg, few seconds and it fell down.

Left hand heavy IM#3 negatives.

One hand thin pinch work (3cm / 1.18 inch) up to 25kg for reps both hands. 

light kettlebell wrist work.

Some work I filmed. Glad with my progression guys, really happy.

https://youtu.be/8JFq1D38pNU

• Like 2

Thnx Roy, working on it!

Was working at home and serious had some oxygen missing in the room, was yawning and couldn't concentrate. Ate some stuff and decided to do training now. Everything felt heavy though. 

Working sets goal was 5 x 3 @ 115kg, working up to 5 x 5 next week. Deliberately taking it that slow because I always stall when reaching the 120kg worksets range.  Warm up felt good, did something stupid with loading it up to 120kg, to see how that would feel. Heavy. 

Apparently not my squatmoment. completed what I needed to do though and ended with 10 x 90kg as a finisher. 

Some pullups neutral grip and dinner was ready. Officework tonight. Need coffee. 

Will be in Zeewolde for 4 days, GHP6 & 7 in my luggage. Can't wait to take some Holidays and discover a new place. Will think about the future COC 3.

• Like 2

Short grippertraining today because of other plans but despite building it up slowly grippers were completely cack. Noticed that could barely do a double 2.5 CCS. My right ringfinger was also bleeding because of a bump I made with it yesterday on the top of the finger. Tried a 144 #3 ccs but it felt very bad. So, despite having not trained this week, it wasn't to be today. Next week perhaps somewhere. I know when to back off now. 

..which happens to be the day after. Felt good enough to get some gripperwork done, although I had a hard startup this morning. Probaby some kind of headcold that just can't hit homebase with me.  

All closes unless mentioned otherwise
Filed IM#1  1 x 10 TNS, 1 x 5 TNS
Filed IM#2  1 x 5 TNS, 1 x 3 TNS
IM#2.5 1 x 2 CCS; 
Filed IM#3 (142) 1 x 1 CCS;
IM#3 (144) x 1 CCS; 
Filed IM#3 (142 again) x 5 singles CCS; 
IM#3 (153) CCS attempt and forced closed when the ROM stops and keeping it forced closed, grinding the handles; 
BBE (162) CCS attempt and forced closed when the ROM stops, same as above. 

When I feel good enough, planning to do boxsquats and wristwork tonight. 

Edit: Tonight. 

Boxsquats, 5 x 5 trying to get the hang of the feeling. Going to focus on this for a while. 
Front squats, finally found a comfortable spot for my wrists and actually keep the bar up good without choking myself or lowering the elbows. 5 x 5
5 x 5 Bw neutral grip pullups. 

Meanwhile, 55lbs blob attempts, got some decent air under it a few times. Tough nut to crack. 

• Like 2

Yesterday evening

Box squats, 3 x 5 100kg; 
Front squats, still a bit unstable, 70kg 5 x 5. I really need to get used to the movement, but the wrists feel okay.
It's not the weight that's tricky, but the weak position I am not used to. 
Shoulderpress (seated) 55kg 3 x 5.  
Bodyweight dips and weighted dips; 
Thickbar curls. 

42 minutes ago, Geralt said:

Front squats, still a bit unstable, 70kg 5 x 5. I really need to get used to the movement, but the wrists feel okay.

Would really like to do front squats, but it's just impossible for me. Apparantly you DO have flexibility.:D

26 minutes ago, Royz said:

Would really like to do front squats, but it's just impossible for me. Apparantly you DO have flexibility.:D

You should try an overhead squat, haha. 

24 minutes ago, Grind said:

You should try an overhead squat, haha. 

Yeah I know... craziness.

Grippertraining tonight. 

My 153 stays a tough nut to crack for ccs. Probably my least seasoned gripper so the sweep is pretty sturdy, compared to my 157 3 which should be harder but has a more seasoned sweep. Rgc is just a number heh. Attempted a few ccs singles with the 153. Will get it. 

Afterwards a few singles with CCS-20mm blockreps. Thinking of a new approach for grippers, since my progression is stalling a bit. It's also not regressing, so that's good. Just need a change. 

Going to start with 531 as of tomorrow for squats. 

• Like 1

New training setup, combining two 531 workouts in one, which is probably blasphemy and can't be called 531 anymore but so be it. Summertime is coming up which also means work around the house. 

Mo  : squats + assistance, Shoulderpress plus assistance; 
Thu:  DL + assistance, Benchpress plus assistance. 
Su or Mo: grippers. Need to see how this works out. But it covers basically everything without costing grip recovery. 

Today the Mo workout, felt good. Not going to much in the numbers, keeping my own spreadsheet. Nothing interesting for most guys over here. 

Also, tried a new grippertraining thingy which could, and I say, COULD help me in training. Not saying of course what it exactly is, since the thingy will need to prove itself in time. I will refer to this in future log details as 'Secret thingy'. 

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Before work, morning workout. NIce to have some more energy. Started up with stretching work outside, was quite relaxing, being alone outside, just the birds etc. Zen...

531 based week 1 

Trapbar and bench. 
Assisting exercises neutral grip chinups 5 x 5 after Trapbar and 4 x 8 dips after Bench. I like this combination.