Training Log For Azcg Comp 2014

acorn

Nice one. Also went to the ER last Friday at the suggestion of my Doctor. Had a pretty bad pain in my Right Kidney area starting about 12hrs before as well as tenderness in the abdomen when he was checking me. Was concerned I might have appendicitis or Kidney stone. Spent a few hours at the hospital and got blood work, ultrasound of kidneys, bladder and appendix as well as a CAT scan of my abdomen and they never did find the cause of the pain so they sent me home. They were able to knock it back some with some nice Morphine though and get my BP down as well which was pretty high when I came in. Saturday morning I went in to work to install a switch and do some network maint and had just a low level of pain in the area. While working I had a pretty nasty muscle spasm right in that same spot that felt similar enough to the pain of the day before that I think it may have been related. If it was it was a steady state cramp I never felt start. Had a Leg cramp that night as well that was pretty bad so Sunday morning I took some CALM (Calcium Magnesium Supplement) and the pain and issues went away. Weird. Been cutting back my coffee consumption after that and this last week. Down to 2- 2 1/2 cups a day from 4-5+. Icing my foot right now as I type this as the PF is still tender when I am on my feet too much like today.

- Aaron

Holy crap Aaron!!! I hope everything improves.

• Like 2

Thanks buddy. Some days I feel like an old Chevy truck whose odometer just rolled over. Stuff just keeps breaking left and right.

- Aaron

Hope everything gets squared away and you get feeling good.

Great to see you logging again...hair miss on #3.5 :bow You'll get back and more

Thanks guys.

At park today with daughter did a little bit.

Pullups BW (255) x 11

Dips x 20

Tried to get a training session in last night but never could get up to speed. Whole family has been sick and I'm fighting something off as well. Did a few sets of grippers and worked on a prototype training tool abit. Got the Easy #3.5 for a solid triple RH and missed on 184# Adj SE by about 3/16 or so. Prolly closed the 180# #3.5 but not 100% sure. LH was weak. 2HP was unable to even break 87.5Kg off ground for single. Surface was slippery like cardboard and hands were dry and similar so skipped it. Think I'm gonna strip all the seasoning off the 2HP before next workout. Need to before March comp anyway.

- Aaron

• Like 1

Got in a handful of closes on the #2 last night and a couple minutes with the prototype this morning after doing some work on it last night to take it to the next stage. Still feeling this mornings stuff a couple hours later. That is it for the week so far. Maybe will get a chance to train some this weekend.

- Aaron

Got in a short training session Saturday Feb 1st. Was cut short by 3yr old that wouldn't nap. Had hoped to finish it yesterday but no dice. Also the PF is back in force. Will be trying to get another appt with the Podiatrist for a 2nd Cortisone shot. Finalizing idea for this years trophies for the comp with Martin. I think we may do Plaques this year.

Anyway here was Saturday's stuff

Grippers

10x#1, 5x#2

RH 7x Easy #3, 1x adj BBE @ 162#

LH 3x Easy #3

2HP 48mm

1x 87.5Kg, 2x 87.5Kg, 4x 87.5Kg, 6x 87.5Kg

Prototype work

(Didn't track reps or sets as it was a quick wrap up due to kiddo not sleeping.)

Still a little sore today from the Prototype work. Gotta find a better name for this rig. The Beast maybe.

- Aaron

Scratch that, found a different supplier for some of the pieces for the trophies in a price range that makes them doable for the design I had planned. Steel on order, gonna be 2" diameter globe scale Inch DB's on wood base.

• Like 2

Scratch that, found a different supplier for some of the pieces for the trophies in a price range that makes them doable for the design I had planned. Steel on order, gonna be 2" diameter globe scale Inch DB's on wood base.

Those sound like very cool trophies!

Those sound like very cool trophies!

Thanks Eric, I try to make custom one off trophies every year. A couple years ago I did all steel trophies with a straightened horse shoe on top. (pics in my gallery) Last year Martin and I worked together to make scaled up wood handled grippers with hand wound stainless springs and stands. This years plan is hand made scale steel Inch DB's on nice wood base.

This morning I got another Cortisone shot in my heel for the PF. Hopefully that will help knock it out.

- Aaron

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Had a little bit of time to train last night while I was working on trophies.

Did a few gripper closes up to GHP7 x3 then some longer holds with #1.5 RH and #1 LH.

Followed up with longish holds on front sledge DL. 25-30 sec.

- Aaron

Had just a few minutes again last night while I was working on the trophies. Did a single set each hand grippers and same for Sledge front DL.

Grippers

LH #1 - 35sec handle grinds

RH #1.5 disadvantaged position - 35sec handle grind and Overcrush.

8# Sledge front DL long hold

LH 13.5" - 30 sec

RH 15" - 30sec

- Aaron

• 1 month later...

So not gonna do the comp in a couple days. Only managed to train a couple times briefly in the last month and one of those was last night. Did grippers for a few minutes and man have I lost alot of strength. Pretty sure I would not have been able to close a #3 as a #2.5 felt pretty tough RH and did not close LH. Gonna have to start over if I can find the time and motivation. May be an opportunity to try some new stuff I've been considering for condensed training.

- Aaron

• Like 1

Aaron, I know you've been struggling with finding time to train. Since my baby son was born I've been doing a lot of quick crossfit style grip and full body workouts and I've been actually making great progress even though my training time has been quartered. On time pressed days ill set my timer for 15 min after a short warmup, ill pick 2 exercises that ill alternate with no breaks for the full 15. Stuff like thick bar snatches with squats or push-ups etc are great for conditioning and maintaining hand strength.

Aaron, I know you've been struggling with finding time to train. Since my baby son was born I've been doing a lot of quick crossfit style grip and full body workouts and I've been actually making great progress even though my training time has been quartered. On time pressed days ill set my timer for 15 min after a short warmup, ill pick 2 exercises that ill alternate with no breaks for the full 15. Stuff like thick bar snatches with squats or push-ups etc are great for conditioning and maintaining hand strength.

Thanks for the response, Due to a couple of issues it is making it alot less fun. The PF in my Right foot and my back issues are currently making stuff like squats, DL, even 2HP, etc not fun. Shoulder impingement issue making bench, snatch, etc a no go. Feel like I'm falling apart. I don't feel like I have very many injuries at the moment but they are in very strategically sucky places so the things I normally do to warmup and keep strong are mostly out. Doing the occasional pull-ups and dips at the park though and the occasional light gripper closes. So even if I had time the training would be pretty limited until I get this PF at least squared away.

- Aaron

Aaron-

I've had shoulder pain for years. When I first hurt it, doc said I had a strained rotator cuff. So he gave me some exercises to do with high reps, and it helps only when I do them... If I stop it comes right back. Do you have damage to your shoulder? Maybe you should try the "water cure." That salt water program people swear by... I'm thinking about it- I'm 38 and everything hurts!

• 4 weeks later...

Training today. Nearly done at this point.

Thumbless Axle Hang cleans.

Doubles up to 185#

Grippers

up to 169# #3.5 RH

up to !38# Easy #3 LH, Avg #3 to 3/8"

OC's -> Accentuated ecc overloads

Adj BBSM LH @ 1/4" mount x 5

adj BBGM RH @ 1/8" Mount x 5

Thumbless 1.5" Revolving handle holds to failure

LH 4x 160# ~ 4sec each

RH 4x 160# ~ 7-9sec each

- Aaron