...of Gripgods, Pinchmen And Steelslayers.

anwnate

The way my SSN gripper work has been going, I had a feeling I should video my efforts today.

Rather than put up a questionable video (that I would definitely fail if I was judging), I just grabbed some stills from the vid. Simply put...I would never submit this for MM judging.

That said...this is a 12lb PR for me...

first%20183_zps9hcua0wv.jpg

If I hadn't had this gripper recently rated from CPW...I'd wonder about the rating. My best guess is that it's a combination of increase in strength and the knurling the QuadBand has. I'm also thinking that E.J. is right about that whole bending and gripper strength. Time to start using a higher gripper for SSN.

Keep up the crushing man. Getting close to attempting to MM3!

Nate, I checked on McMaster-Carr and the Q is only 7 steps away from the 3/8". I have never felt a Gold Nail. I must've been retired from bending before it came out. Because I was a steel whore. :grin: Anyway, do you think the McMaster-Carr 3/8" Drill Rod (O-1, right?) is as hard (or harder?) than the Gold Nail at the same length? I'm curious if it's pretty similar to the MMC 3/8", because if it is, the progression up to it is so graduated. I'm sure it's not linear. I'm familiar with a LOT of that Drill Rod (O-1), even a bit beyond the 3/8". That was only for crushdown work at my strongest. But it is all hard compared to the CRS-1018 I usually found online.

Nate, I checked on McMaster-Carr and the Q is only 7 steps away from the 3/8". I have never felt a Gold Nail. I must've been retired from bending before it came out. Because I was a steel whore. :grin: Anyway, do you think the McMaster-Carr 3/8" Drill Rod (O-1, right?) is as hard (or harder?) than the Gold Nail at the same length? I'm curious if it's pretty similar to the MMC 3/8", because if it is, the progression up to it is so graduated. I'm sure it's not linear. I'm familiar with a LOT of that Drill Rod (O-1), even a bit beyond the 3/8". That was only for crushdown work at my strongest. But it is all hard compared to the CRS-1018 I usually found online.

Hey Ben. I haven't been the steel whore you have been. I got my precision marshall steel here...http://store.diesupplies.com/o1-drill-rod-oil-hardening-tool-steel-oilcrat-pm-p113.aspx

At my top form, I was destroying the "S" in BGW's and but barely bent a "T" with doubles (with some kind of leather combination). Tommy Jennings has bent the very same "T" stock I did and said it was a step below the Gold. Since I returned to bending, I've been sticking to IMPs...and going very slow. If you stick to Alpha only...it appears that only the "R,S and T" are below the Gold...but if you go numeric, there are probably a ton of fine jumps. Ok...technically the "U" is .3680...which is below the 3/8" .3750...but I have heard that the drill rod is a slightly harder bend, so I've been operating under the assumption I didn't have to stock the "U".

Heh. As far as the steel I'm bending...I'd ask either Tommy or E.J. to get a better answer. They have both bent a number of bars from the the order I cut up.

• Like 1

Because I'm committed to Certing the RT challenge at next year's NCGC...I decided I wanted a piece of equipment that does not revolve so I may increase my overall thickbar strength, yet keep the lift as similar as possible. I asked Black Widow to create a NonRT...(err...non revolving thickbar) and they came through in a big way. It's a very solid piece of grip equipment.

20151016_111027_zps7iwpn1w6.jpg

It'll be a bit before I get to really train on it...I couldn't help getting a baseline.

While my RT is a 171lbs...my NonRT is a 246lbs.

It should be interesting to see what kind of carryover may exist...and what percentages of difference appear.

• Like 4

Nate, I have a non-RT too. I've been told to send it back to IM due to their willingness to "make it right; but think it could potentially be a useful tool and will give it a shot again in the near future.

• Like 2

Nate, I have a non-RT too. I've been told to send it back to IM due to their willingness to "make it right; but think it could potentially be a useful tool and will give it a shot again in the near future.

I have two of those myself. I use them for doing pullups.........they're excellent for that application. They still rotate a little bit, but not nearly as much as they normally would.

• Like 1

10/19/15

Almost didn't write this...but it'll be good to be able to look back with certainly of where I started with this gripper.

RH MM4 190CPW SSN x 4 (down to 3/8" before nudges, 1/4" after...jeez)

This gripper is a serious bitch. I will however close it. I'm gonna try to closely document my improvements over time.

LH MM2 162CPW SSN x 5 (down to 1/4" before nudges, 0.0 after)

Got good movement yesterday.

MM4 195CPW on the way. :)

• Like 4

I've had headache and nausea for days running now...probably the new meds.

I debated back and forth about doing grippers...not because I felt like shit...but because I didn't feel like I was completely recovered from the last workout. But then again...when in doubt...workout.

RH MM4 190CPW SSN x 4 (down to 1/2" before nudges, 1/4" after)

LH MM2 162CPW SSN x 1 (down to 1/8" before nudges, 0.0 after)

LH GHP 175CPW SSN x 3 (down to 3/8" before nudges, 3/16 after)

So...I actually learned a TON from this workout. Vincent Gambini's line keeps running through my head right now...

"I find it hard to believe that this kind of information...could be ascertained simply by looking at a picture!"

Scrap the picture...but same idea. First off, I suspected pre-gripper workout that I wasn't recovered...the actual workout confirmed it. I'm so used to constant improvement with each workout that I was surprised to feel like I regressed a little with my RH. Don't get me wrong...your CNS isn't always on etc etc etc...but this isn't really about closing grippers...it's about getting stronger in your crush. There are several ways to measure improvement...besides "a close".

Setting a gripper can become easier.

Holding the gripper paused at MMS before crushing can become easier.

The amount (guesstimated normally) you close before your first nudge.

The effort it takes to move the gripper with your first nudge.

How easy it is to hold (while attempting to close) the gripper at the new distance.

The final distance between the handles after you are nudged out.

The time you can hold it at that final distance after you are nudged out.

Basically, there are a ton of improvement metrics.

The key to a (mine anyway) gripper workout is to overload the hands non-dangerously while working the CNS via effort to get handles closer. Everything else is pretty much recovery.

Anyway...I've been spoiled lately getting "distance" PR's lately so failing to do so was slightly disappointing. But this pretty much has led me to a revelation. I'm now literally working with the heaviest gripper I ever have. 190CPW is a BIG step up for me. I actually think I require a bit more rest now. I'm going to move my gripper workouts to once every 8 days immediately but will leave it open to going to 9 if needed. My off hand won't be improving as efficiently as possible…but I'm not going to try and program around two gripper days (one of which moves).

As far as my LH goes...I nearly closed it without the nudge and did so with the nudge. Because I am close to closing it, I wanted to overload at a greater tension so I finished them off with a 175.

Heart Stuff

So…I had a 9 hour heart surgery (procedure?) via catheters. The actual active surgery was only 3 hours but there was a lot of waiting around in between due to the newness of the technology and delicacy of the procedure. I was knocked out cold the whole time of course. Since I seem to have a tolerance to the meds, my general body weight…and my back issues…they pretty much gave me enough meds to knock out an elephant. Apparently I hit on nearly every woman between two floors (which didn't amuse the wifey of course). I remember none of it. They took selfies with my phone…surprise to me. I even talked to some gripsters from the hospital bed…and have no recollection of it. BTW, thanks to all the wellwishers out there (virtual handshake).

The next morning at 7am…I fell right back out of rhythm and so by 3pm they had me back in there getting shocked. After 16 or so Cardioversions, pretty much everyone in the Cath. Lab is on a first name basis with me. My wife and I have brought the teams gift baskets of snacks (healthy and non) a couple of times. This was a cool one. Since it was done in a different place than normal, I got to listen to some classic rock over a set of speakers while they prepped me. I had thought that whole music/surgeon thing was only in the movies, but apparently not.

Later in the day, my left IV (which was getting more and more painful after waking up) finally got relocated. But it still really didn't feel right. With the growing redness, my nurse said she thought it was the beginning of cellulitis. Additionally I knew I had some kind of sinus thing brewing. With all this and just out of heart surgery, I was thinking maybe I'd get some antibiotics there to be on the safe side. Nope. Nurse practitioner (literally the only person who I found annoying out of like 30 I encountered), continually poo-pooed my concerns and sent me on my merry way.

So…the next day with a growing red splotch up my arm, I end up at my primary where they quickly put me on Augmentin. It's gone now…and the sinus thing is going…but man did Maureen get pissed. I found out that Mamabear came out and let her feelings be known to the hospital. I wouldn't have done it myself…but the lady was so freakin jerky, I find it hard to feel bad for her if she gets a little chastising from it. That one person ignored, I was completely impressed with the care I received from the entire staff from beginning to end.

So I'm back on the anti-arrhythmic drug. Not happy about it. In the hospital, the Doc was already talking about a third procedure. Ugh. It's tough to decide what to do. Continue or cut bait. I'll probably continue with the Cardioversions in the short term…maybe through the holidays (assuming they are needed). I hope I feel better tomorrow. As I recently told Wojo…this heart crap is really getting in the way of my training. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Even before getting out of bed...I knew the back was jacked today.

I hate doing any grip with a back issue...it's just impossible to access premo CNS firing.

Grippers.

RH MM4 190CPW SSN x 6 (down to 1/2" before nudges, 1/4" after)

Knew immediately it wasn't going to be a "special" gripper day. So I put my time in and burnt my hands out. Decent volume though (pretty much my max with SSN)...definitely getting stronger.

LH MM2 162CPW SSN x 1 (down to 1/4" before nudges, 0.0 after)

Did some practice filming for MM0 offhand.

GHP7 150CPW...x 6 (1/8" miss each time)

I honestly think this had mostly to do with mechanics and not strength. Still haven't mastered the lefty set. It's a real small window to get right for me.

CoC3 142CPW x 8 (6 closes 2 slight misses)...such a weak gripper I finish the close with fingertips due to poor sets.

GHP8 175 SSN x 1 (one and done)

The plan is to send in a MM0 offhand in this month...I'd prefer it to be the 150CPW...but will send in a weak #3 close if my left hand doesn't cooperate.

Ignoring the back...8 days in between gripper workouts seemed good. I'll stick with this for a bit.

There is no MM0 for offhand.

Yep, although there are many offhand mm0 video submissions that have been recognized by mods on this board, apparently none of them have any recollection of ever doing so.

MM0 offhand is the Ethan Hunt (mission impossible) of the gripboard.

• Like 1

Yep, although there are many offhand mm0 video submissions that have been recognized by mods on this board, apparently none of them have any recollection of ever doing so.

MM0 offhand = Keyser Soze!

Ha. Thanks for the heads up guys.

Well I did know there wasn't a separate certificate, but I had thought you still had to send one in...in order to get the MM1 sent to you.

I'll still go ahead and get a good vid this month anyway. I'm aiming for a cert a month for six months. Something in the order of...

the MM0 offhand, -November

the MM1 offhand, -December

the MM2 offhand, -January

the MM3, -February

the MM4 -March

the GHP8 (175cpw). -April

Why not aim high right? :)

• Like 3

MM0 offhand = Keyser Soze!

Ha. Thanks for the heads up guys.

Well I did know there wasn't a separate certificate, but I had thought you still had to send one in...in order to get the MM1 sent to you.

I'll still go ahead and get a good vid this month anyway. I'm aiming for a cert a month for six months. Something in the order of...

the MM0 offhand, -November

the MM1 offhand, -December

the MM2 offhand, -January

the MM3, -February

the MM4 -March

the GHP8 (175cpw). -April

Why not aim high right? :)

Given your current level, that actually looks pretty realistic to me, good luck!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally finished house project (massive Christmas Village). Unfortunately the long hours and working bent over took a toll on my back. It'll be a while before I can move without predictive movement. I'm hoping to recover somewhat before Gripmas.

10min worth of attempted grippers...

L 150CPW GHP7 x 4 all missed turned SSN.

R 175CPW GHP8 x 4 all missed turned SSN.

Pretty pathetic efforts...no access to grip strength. Something is better than nothing.

• Like 3

You will have to bring pictures of the Christmas village with you to Gripmas. It looks like such a massive project with a lot of intricate details.

It will be good to share the platform with you again.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Note: Almost no training content (feel free to skip).

So...I had started a post about how 2015 was about the heart and 2016 was about the back.

That was fine until the next day I went out of rhythm again...followed by a number of cardioversions. Now I have scheduled a repeat ablation (more intensive) for February 19th. (as I was finishing this post...it's now been changed to Jan. 6th...woohoo...no 6 weeks of feeling crappy)

So...2016 will be the year of the back...while working around the heart.

I'm putting bending on the backburner for a year. My back is so unreliable that training steel has been near pointless at times.

I wanted to attend a crapload of contests this year...but I'm putting that desire aside and going to try and focus 70% of my energy on rehabbing my back.

I am committed to going to the 2016 Capitol Classic and CTD Challenge and 2016 Gripmas. That's pretty much it. I'm going to put aside my desire to host a contest this year also. I won't rule out a training session or two though.

In regards to the back...if you have ever had the following:

Near inability to get out of bed.

Inability to fool around properly due to debilitating back pain.

Making sure to brace yourself before sneezing.

Having to consciously tighten your stomach before leaning over the sink.

Leaning an elbow on your knee when you bend to pick something up (old man bending).

Without taking a hot shower...barely able to wipe one's own ass.

Well...not all days include those...but most have a couple of them.

I do believe in chiropractors and have met some that are amazing...and some kinda shitty ones. But...this back issue isn't something they can take care of. The MRI revealed a number of issues that will only get worse. I'm hoping by building up my core and back...I can avoid surgery for as long as possible...and create better day to day living. In conjunction with the lifting, I will be taking some of Jedd's and Wojo's advice in regards to mobility etc etc. A lot of the strain on my back is due to tightness in my lower half. I thank them for their help.

So...to sum up...2016 will be focused on the back. I won't attend many contests...and...

I'm not going to be upkeeping this log much. I have a new secret ninja workout. :ninja::ninja::ninja:

All should be revealed at Gripmas '16. Be there...or miss out. :rock

• Like 10

Over here 2 hours and 20 minutes into the new year. I hope you will feel better man. I hear ya buddy, David said it.

• Like 2

I'm pulling for you, Nate! It sounds like you have a plan - and you will work your plan until you meet your goals this year.

• Like 1