Quest For Gripstrength Starting With Gripper #3

Geralt

You know I live in Dordrecht and there are much harbor activities in the area because of all the water in the region. 
I bought used rusty chains at a shipyard trader for cheap, just 1,50 euro / 1 kg. Maybe there is such a company in your region. 
1.5m length chains of 10kg are the best if you can find them. 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your loss!

• Like 1

On 26-2-2016 at 9:38 PM, Joefrey said:

I feel really sorry for your Dog.

I hope there's nothing serious with your arm.

Thank you brother, 'luckily' it's my off hand, which is giving me trouble since more then a year now. Tennis elbow. Most things grip I can endure, but grippers above #2 level just gave me pain. I am happy to feel this is getting better, and I am now closing the 2.5 without pain again. 

Everyone thanks again for the appreciated wishes. Cool. 

Couldn't find the right groove today with gripwork, but it's all, well you know, because of what is all mentioned earlier. So without focusing on that too long: I just did grippers, not too heavy, focus on wide sets. Perhaps later in the day pinch. Next week back to business. 

Grippers, working sets

IM#2.5  (filed) TNS 1 x 1 closed; 

RB240 (135) TNS 1 x 1 closed, x very near, x very near. Missed, due to bad setting. Shows also what I mentioned above. Head not there where I needed it to be. 

IM#3 (153) wide set, closed, or very near closed, couldn't tell, because of, well, tension lol

IM#2.5 (not filed) CCS 1 x 2, 1 x 3. 

IM#2 (filed) CCS 1 x 15; 

Off hand also still feeling much better, missed TNS filed 2.5 by a small margin, cool! Getting stronger. Did several singles CCS and wide sets 2.5, all closed. 

High reps with filed #2. 

Edited by Geralt

Squats, 4 sets for warmup, x 10, 8, 6, 5. Working 5x5 @90kg. Nothing special. 

Wanted to do upperbody but I feel a little tension in my arms, probably because of more gripperwork and more dipwork last three weeks. Taking it easy this week, other words for backing off.

tommorrow light grippers. 

'light' grippers today, but felt off. Grippers felt 'heavy'. I did some one hand pinching yesterday, thumb against side of fist. Probably a bit too much for the hands to work grippers the next day. 

IM#1 x 10 x 5 TNS; Note that I am not having trouble at all with this gripper, but sometimes when warming up you already feel the hands are not in the best shape. 

IM#2 x 5 x 3 TNS;

IM#2.5 x 1 CCS, x 1 TNS (felt heavy, so definitely worked to much yesterday) x 5 singles CCS, as explosive as possible. 

IM#1 x 30 TNS

Off hand #2 TNS work, rep work and #1 TNS x 30. 

The idea of the light session is of course to build some explosive closing power, which clearly wasn't there today. 

Edited by Geralt

Squats 3x3, seated shoulderpress, lateral raises with chains, pushups bw & weighted vest. 

Busy weekend, so I did grippers for lunch today. Felt good, did a lot of gripperwork, some stuff on video.

Finally #3 closes off hand (also filed) without pain. WIN! CCS work right, CCS reps 135+ range and rep work TNS. Also closed an Elite after CCS work with the #3, so my basestrength is going where I want it to be. Keep plowing on... 

https://youtu.be/bJo0RLbX44Y

Also, Mark (Grind) from the Gripboard was so kind for me to rate me three grippers. He is very close or even spot on to CPW ratings, so that's good. 

Turns out that my MM0 gripper #3 which I used for years rates 157lbs. I expected that, so I got good training from it I guess. I also had a #3 just hanging there unrated and barely used. It turns out to be 144lbs! In the time I used it in training I didn't had my current strengthlevel so I never felt it as lighter I guess. Cool to know, I am using it for my CCS training now. Also, my MM2 replica which I bought from Mike Corlett, turns out to be 150lbs. I expected that also, perhaps a bit heavier, but not much. The sweep is very spongy. 

Ratings are not everything, but it is nice to know in what range you train. Mark, thank you again man. 

Later tonight squats. 

• Like 2

Your welcome Geralt.
The grippers are back your way nice and clean. ;)

Good angle work in the video and solid gripper crushing.
Don't you need to put the CC further between the handles?

Edited by Grind
  • Like 1

Thnx Mark. Yes, that is true. Officially the card needs to be wiggled freely between the handles. I see different variations in certs.  However. I did more singles like this, and the first few are always very clean, the last singles strength of course backs off and then form tends to get a bit sloppy. It's ok for me since it's training. For the cert I only need one good close, in training I aim for multiple closes. Lately I first start training and feel the first closes and concentrate on form. When I still feel good i setup the camera, since filming is of course not the best way of training when you need to concentrate on keeping the hand still. 

also, the RB240 has a bit thicker handles if I am not mistaken? so, should equate to the opening being a bit narrower while fingers still being opened enough (or close to) if the handles had less circumference?

In theory that could be the case, but It also makes an 'easier' close because of the thicker handles. But, since I train filed grippers for the close and thicker handles for reps, I also train sweep. Best of both worlds right? 😊

Peter did you like your RB240? 

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Geralt said:

In theory that could be the case, but It also makes an 'easier' close because of the thicker handles. But, since I train filed grippers for the close and thicker handles for reps, I also train sweep. Best of both worlds right? 😊

Peter did you like your RB240? 

Yeah! I agree on that it would also make for an "easier close" as the distance would be shorter to move them, but, for the purpose of CCS-things it should (at least in theory) apply kinda like I theorised above...

Ah, to be honest haven't really used it much yet!!!
only used it twice and always after my other grippertraining being done...

but, regardless of me most likely being like "tired" from the gripper-stuff preceeding the few squeezes on the RB240 I've done I have both of the times been hugely surprised at how hard it felt??? like shockingly so?!?!?! like, I'd say my quite heavily filed #2.5 is like a million times easier than that RB240 (OK that is a bit of an exaggeration :D but, still) which had me quite surprised???

Though, will have to try training with it some more and with a bit more "purpose" to say how I feel about it! but, so far, mainly surprised at the fight it puts up... :D

True, specially after training, it can feel like a real tough gripper, when you widen up the set. Going through full rom is much harder than MMS with the thicker handles. But a good working horse still. Why not work some more with it, it can only build up your base strength. I don't use it for main course, other than TNS, because for main work I want to work BTR or 'normal' handlewidth, but certainly not thicker, as I'm afraid this would work counterproductive. 

• Like 1

well, for me it is kinda the same, I wanna keep as much of my training BTR as I feel like that might be the ticket to make closes "easy" in the future... though, I might file it like crazy some day when I have the time...
I have already been thinking about that since I was given it... like, I immediately I felt like "NICE!!! THEN I CAN FILE IT DOWN!!!! :D " that was like the second thought that popped up in my mind when I learned that David gave it to me!  :D first I thought that "DAMN!!! that is generous" and then I was immediately thinking about filing it down... :D

though, I think I should give it some time as a "regular" gripper first??? we'll see... 

• Like 1

Peter, First regular close, than perhaps filing it. But be careful, you cannot undo it haha

did squats tonight, 5x5, upped the weight 5kg. Taking it carefully, since I don't want to stall immediatly after a few weeks. Also horizontal V-bar rows. 

Decided, as it was almost dinnertime, to round off with some blob attempts, had my blob lying in the garage for a few months, occasionally trying to pick it up but with no result. Rolled it out, chalked up and tried to lift it a few times and BOOM up it went! Repeated this a few times, I was amazed! I bought this blob from Theo Burggraaff, first Dutch COC in 2005. It's 25kg/55lbs and very thick. This thing is MEAN! Very glad with this. 

http://youtu.be/jvgEqDmRZ6o

• Like 2

Strong!!!

nice blobbing!!! strong lift!!!

well, yeah, closing the RB240 isn't a problem at all, I was just surprised at its feisty nature, but, closing, for sure no problem, so, think I'll file it when time permits! :D

Yesterday Shoulderpress. I do them seated with backsupport but going to switch to just seated without it. With the upright support I cannot pull my head backwards enough so it's a bit awkward to push upwards without also pushing a bit to the front if you catch my drift. So I yesterday was more of a 5x5 high incline chest/shoulder press. Some front raises after this and dips @ bw. Also did some lighter thumbwork. Thumbs feel really shot now after lifting the blob55 last Monday. Still feels great to have done that. Hope I can repeat it soon for a full lockout. And than cleaning it would be cool! But that's still long away. 

Friday squats, Next Sunday or Monday grip at the earliest. 

Squats working sets  3 x 3 @ 100kg / 220 lbs;

Bench (bench lifted 3cm at foot end so very slight decline, just enough for pressure of delts) working 4 x 5 @ 90kg / 198lbs 

Bent over rows with swissbar for neutral grip, working 3 x 6 strict @ 75kg. 

Short, but everything felt almost easy today, gradually building up works fine this way for now. 

Great stuff Geralt. Keep Grinding!

• Like 1

Thank you Chez!

Today for lunch: 

Backsquats. Light headcold coming up, so I decided to do less reps per set but more sets. Still got 25 reps. 

Warming up; 

105kg 7 x 3, 1 x 4; 

Grippers, after warming up:

2.5 CCS 1 x 2;

IM#3, rated by Mark (Grind) @ 144 CCS 2 x 1;

MM2 replica, rated @ 150 CCS 1 x 1, missed by a mm, it didn't completely loose it's bite, because in the end there is a nasty ramp. 

IM#3 @ 149 CCS 1 x 1, missed by a hair; 

BBGM @ 137, heavily filed CCS 1 x 1 with as much overcrush as I could get, was dizzy after the attempt.  

IM#2.5 CCS 1 x 3; 

IM#2, filed, CCS 1 x 10

IM#1 (filed) TNS 1 x 30. 

Lefty also good work, IM#3 (light) close MMS and wider rep work 2.5. 

Maybe tonight some blob attempts, depending how I feel. 

• Like 3

Squats 5 x 3 @110kg;

horizontal bw V-bar rows with feet on bench 4 x 5;

neutral grip barbell rows@ 80kg x5, 75x5, 70x2x5, 50x2x10;

during workout many Fatman blob55 attemps. Got air under it but nothing more than that. 

Felt tired during the workout and couldn't shake it off very well.