Eric Spoto 722 Raw Bench

Wayne

New world record

• Like 2

Tremendous bench! I was expecting to see a paused bench to officially break the existing world record. Still obviously super impressive touch and go.

The dude is an ox, but isn't this supossed to be paused?

The previous record was done with touch and go also

Spoto seems like a really chill guy I was surprised how calm he was after breaking the record. Glad he has the record he is a great spokesman for powerlifting. Unreal weight I would like to deadlift that weight haha.

Look at those forearms also I can't be the only one wondering how crazy he would be at grip.

Edited by Stephen Ruby

The third attempt at 722 was a better pause than his 716 and is about as good a pause as anyone will do while breaking the world record imo.

It's been said he has 20" forearms which I believe. He also trained in AW for a while but gave up to focus on bench. Apparently he's talked about getting back into it once the record fell which would be awesome.

Yea, Scot Mendelson's 715 was a touch and go, I really don't think anyone has put up more than 675 with a pause. Here is a pic of Spoto's forearm, it was 19.5 at the time, but this was about a year ago.

spoto-19.5-in-forearms.jpg

This is not even close as to how to properly measure one's forearm! Not being a "know-it-all" either

just stating a few facts from those in the medical and anatomical fields. Me and Dr.Terry Todd along with at

least 3 professors had this very discussion when I visited the Stark Museum.

From an anatomical point of view his forearm should be straight. I was suspicious of this being how

people are coming up with 20" forearms. Notice even with sloppy measurements and improper measurements

the guy still couldn't get 20".

I suspect this is how Denis Ceplynkov's is being measured as well.

The picture above should be the poster child of how NOT to measure a forearm.

Notice the slack. Tape is not evenly placed around the forearm and the forearm is goose necked.

I'm impressed by Spoto's strength but not by this measurement!

Sorry!

I am impressed by his HUGE forearm, but I have always been an advocate of measuring it with a straight elbow. I dont care much about flexing the wrist or not, but the elbow must be straight.

Even without delving in the anatomical reasons anyone may have.... some guys seem to gain several inches from flexing the elbow, while others gain less. It also seems the fatter the guy, the more he gains from flexing the elbow. Elbow should be straight, definitely, and in this manner I doubt anyone has 20" ...

This is not even close as to how to properly measure one's forearm! Not being a "know-it-all" either

just stating a few facts from those in the medical and anatomical fields. Me and Dr.Terry Todd along with at

least 3 professors had this very discussion when I visited the Stark Museum.

From an anatomical point of view his forearm should be straight. I was suspicious of this being how

people are coming up with 20" forearms. Notice even with sloppy measurements and improper measurements

the guy still couldn't get 20".

I suspect this is how Denis Ceplynkov's is being measured as well.

The picture above should be the poster child of how NOT to measure a forearm.

Notice the slack. Tape is not evenly placed around the forearm and the forearm is goose necked.

I'm impressed by Spoto's strength but not by this measurement!

Sorry!

I bow to your superior knowledge of anatomical whatever... just curious are you supposed to measure the bicep with a straight arm? And can you explain why or why not?

Yea, Scot Mendelson's 715 was a touch and go, I really don't think anyone has put up more than 675 with a pause.

Spoto himself has destroyed 700 with a long pause. As long a pause as should be required. I posted that video here as well back when it happened in October. Also, both of James Henderson's 700+ lifts were done in the IPF.

• Like 1

Doesn't surprise me at all with what Devon had to say about Spoto.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's there was a guy by the name of Scott Norton that came onto the AW'ing scene and

rose to the TOP like overnight. The last time I spoke with brzenk he said that Norton may be the strongest human he's ever pulled

with Lupkes coming in 2nd. Things may have changed since this but John told me that himself. Norton was animal STRONG and

went for the kill every single match!

I've said this before and I'll repeat it here. If and when (and it's already happening slowly) the pro strongman competitors

come out and compete in grip comps and arm wrestling tournaments ALL the existing records and current champions will

be replaced. Sorry if this offends anyone and I'm not in anyway being disrespectful but I can assure you if you take a guy

like Spoto or Brian Shaw and work with them on a good solid shoulder roll followed by a press there is no one currently

on the AW'ing scene that could slow either one down. Not for one second! Grip comps? Again, when the pro strongmen

start to infiltrate the scene move over folks because they will destroy all current records. In my opinion of course. :)

There's a reason for weight classes BTW! ;)

Joe, I take your weight classes comment as meaning that the current record holders are going to have to lose weight to compete.

The strongmen will most likely weigh in the heaviest two divisions and dominate, so the current contenders will have to get to optimum weight while keeping strength..?

Please clarify.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's there was a guy by the name of Scott Norton that came onto the AW'ing scene and

rose to the TOP like overnight. The last time I spoke with brzenk he said that Norton may be the strongest human he's ever pulled

with Lupkes coming in 2nd. Things may have changed since this but John told me that himself. Norton was animal STRONG and

I've said this before and I'll repeat it here. If and when (and it's already happening slowly) the pro strongman competitors

come out and compete in grip comps and arm wrestling tournaments ALL the existing records and current champions will

be replaced. Sorry if this offends anyone and I'm not in anyway being disrespectful but I can assure you if you take a guy

like Spoto or Brian Shaw and work with them on a good solid shoulder roll followed by a press there is no one currently

on the AW'ing scene that could slow either one down. Not for one second! Grip comps? Again, when the pro strongmen

start to infiltrate the scene move over folks because they will destroy all current records. In my opinion of course. :)

I agree 100%

I have not done grip very long or lifted very long but I have a large frame and I feel it has helped me progress much faster with grip and strength in general. Now compared to someone like brian shaw I am tiny and weak-he easily outweighs me by 100lbs+ and could total 600+lbs then me- so it doesn't surprise me that he could dominate any strength sport he tried. He is the first person to clean and press a blobzilla also I believe which is just freaky strong pinch.

Even in bending strongman jason bergmann got into horseshoe bending and now is the best horseshoe bender of all time. It doesn't bother me at all that freaks exist out there I find it fascinating and it just helps me push myself more mentally knowing that a lot more is possible even if I would probably never reach that level.

Joe, I take your weight classes comment as meaning that the current record holders are going to have to lose weight to compete.

The strongmen will most likely weigh in the heaviest two divisions and dominate, so the current contenders will have to get to optimum weight while keeping strength..?

Please clarify.

Clarification: No! Gain Lots of Weight! Think about it for just a moment! Many people don't care about weight classes! They want to know who

can lift the most damn weight, bend the biggest, baddest bar, close the hardest gripper, lift the heaviest DB, etc... There's weight classes

so that there can be competition if you really want to get technical. :) If you can dead lift 1015 lbs it doesn't matter what you weigh but you can

bet one thing, odds are you'll weigh over 300 lbs. You may say well what about grippers? Again, let's see what happens when these giants start to

give concentrated effort on Big grippers (RGC 200+). Records will fall my friend! Rolling Thunder? Same! Thick Bar? Same! Two Hand or Single Hand Pinch? Same! Saxon Bar? Same! V-Bar? Same! Baseline/Jamar Dynamometers? Same! Not to mention they will have to make ones that read higher!

Most importantly, this is my informed opinion on the subject. Time will tell and then we can discuss this once again about all the NEW records! :grin:

Great bench. Strongest bencher around right now no doubt about it.

As far as Pro-strongman infiltrating arm wrestling and grip, it will be all about the money. I can tell you this without any shadow of a doubt. If someone had the cash to pony up big bucks for a grip contest, I am talking not have to work for a few years cash, you could get every single pro strongman out there to compete in either sport and to train and take it very serious. Money talks. Sure, pro strongmen love their sport, but lets face the facts, most of the top guys do it for the money. It just isn't worth arm wrestling or doing a grip contest and getting hurt for a trophy or for little money. If they are going to risk a catastrophic injury, they have to know they are going to be compensated and have time to heal up.

I will make this promise to the grip world. If I ever win Powerball or Mega Millions, I will put $1,000,000 on the line for the greatest strength contest the world has ever seen. It will bring all the freaks out of the wood work from all over the world. Now I just have to win...

• Like 1

Great bench. Strongest bencher around right now no doubt about it.

As far as Pro-strongman infiltrating arm wrestling and grip, it will be all about the money. I can tell you this without any shadow of a doubt. If someone had the cash to pony up big bucks for a grip contest, I am talking not have to work for a few years cash, you could get every single pro strongman out there to compete in either sport and to train and take it very serious. Money talks. Sure, pro strongmen love their sport, but lets face the facts, most of the top guys do it for the money. It just isn't worth arm wrestling or doing a grip contest and getting hurt for a trophy or for little money. If they are going to risk a catastrophic injury, they have to know they are going to be compensated and have time to heal up.

I will make this promise to the grip world. If I ever win Powerball or Mega Millions, I will put $1,000,000 on the line for the greatest strength contest the world has ever seen. It will bring all the freaks out of the wood work from all over the world. Now I just have to win...

You are so right Rick!

Money Talks and BS Walks!

I hope you win the PowerBall my friend! That would the greatest strength contest of all time!!!

Just going to say.

I couldn't see either Norton or Lupkes in their primes beating either Michael Todd or a prime Veovoda in a 6 round super match.

• 1 month later...

Siamand Rahman. 705, raw, no lift off, no arch, long pause, and no leg drive (his legs don't work). So 700+ is doable with a nice long, competition pause. Kid is only 24, so bigger weight is coming if he stays injury free.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=WEz53tLYxc4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWEz53tLYxc4

Just going to say.

I couldn't see either Norton or Lupkes in their primes beating either Michael Todd or a prime Veovoda in a 6 round super match.

After speaking with John in March, he said that Voevoda was the strongest he ever pulled, said his pronation was out of this world and unstoppable.