Battling With The Iron Grip 100kg Bar

Jared Goguen

Tommy jennings is a talet!

I have a hard time getting strong in pinch and grippers but thickbar and bending progress came easier. :D

you certed a bastard, that's pretty amazing. Tommy is definitely a beast.

i remember you saying you were worried about getting injured from bending but if you take it easy and work back up to red nail level which should nt take long then you will be fine! ;) these certs have made me very excited!

Sorry for spamming your cert page Jared!

i remember you saying you were worried about getting injured from bending but if you take it easy and work back up to red nail level which should nt take long then you will be fine! ;) these certs have made me very excited!

It's all good by me. Any talk of bending is good in my book.

I didn't mean just him, but that approach in general. When I discovered Adam Glass he had already mentioned that exploding into bars reverse was causing some unusual pain in the elbow. I know at least two benders that hurt themselves so badly they could really never bend DO again. Donati is explosive and it works for him, but he's also bent a Red every week for like 20 years or something ;)

Look at EJ, he plows through bars like Mack Truck, not a Ferrari.

I dont think a red nail is very much DO.

Bastard is only slightly harder.

I think its safe when you can cert with double wraps. Its the crushing Im afraid of. Palms are hurting if I Crush in imps.

And trust me I'm no where near the strongest of benders, but i have bent reds before a shoulder bump, i would never have been able to deal with the pain if i had used anything over IMP's (thanks Mike) force production is just so different, I feel like with doubles you can almost open your hands and bend the same steel, with smaller wraps its true hand and upper body power, its come in handy with all my work and training. I can assure you double wraps would not have produced the same effect. Just an honest tip, i wasted quite a few bending sessions with double wrap BS, when you are killing edgins in imps then you can hit the doubles i think, and kill some monster steel, till then, you are wasting time and losing out on hand conditioning that will carry over to all aspects of hand strength. Well.....that's my opinion, do what feels right, thats most important.

I have to disagree to a point. In my case my hands were stronger and tougher than my shoulders and chest - so using doubles allowed me to do the volume work to strengthen those areas so they could catch up with my hands. So it depends I guess.

I dont disagree at all Mr Rice, its paramount to be aware of our own needs, my hands really needed to catch up as did most of my friends who have gotten into bending. I have done tons of pressing and snatching so my shoulder power was far above my hand strength, i tore my skin alot and tweeked my wrists quite often; not to mention the pain was outrageous at times. All the advice i got was toughen your hands for as long as possible, i want any new fellas to get all the info i got and decide what they need and/or want.

But man am i happy we have a new bending brother! Shout out to ORS for gettin that IRON GRIP CERT! Congrats again!

Thank you, I can't wait to not be on the bottom of the list.

ORS, being on the list is awesome regardless of position. Your bending is coming along well. How are you setting up your programing?

ORS, being on the list is awesome regardless of position. Your bending is coming along well. How are you setting up your programing?

Thanks, currently I'm not really on a 'program' really. I'm bending twice a week 3-4 bars, mostly in IMP's, all 7" stock at the moment cause I want to get to the Red Nail. That said I'm also currently having to take breaks here and there cause I am getting a sleeve tattoo done this winter and I have been going in for work every 3 weeks so I end up sore a lot.

I hope that answers your question.

I meant to say 1-2 bars a session twice a week so 3-4 bars in total.