Primal Punch

ZFJango

I want to broach the subject of goals, and how we need to tailor our workouts to suit the path to achieving those goals. Take my own goals, for instance. I want endurance and power. I want to be able to swing a sledge all day long, jog for miles and still have plenty in the tank, throw punches for an hour straight and still have punches to throw. All-day power, that is my goal, my ongoing goal. To continue getting a little bit stronger every day, to be able to go a little bit longer every day.

So, to suit that end, my workout has very little max-weight work I know! That almost amounts to sacrilege to power lifters, right? But, my personal goals would not be reachable if I used a power-lifter's workout.

What I am trying to say, in a roundabout manner is that you need to take the time to figure out what your goals are in your physical fitness journey, and create the path that will lead you to those goals. Thank you for coming by!

That is a great goal! This is a very healthy way to be!

Thank you very much, Juri. I appreciate you!

Pure Primal workout today. I am re-naming my Zombie Fighter Jango workout because that is a crappy name for a workout. I went 50 reps with 5# weights. That is 850 movements with each hand. The movements average over 2 feet per movement. My Primal workout today had me moving 8,500 pounds total for a distance of 2 feet minimum. 100 body weight squats and a whole lot of moving. It gets my whole body feeling yoked as hell.

Great log! I subscribed to your YT channel, too. Good stuff there as well.

I like that you are doing a bunch of no set gripper work. When it comes time to certify on the #3, lack of wide set strength is not going to be a problem.

Thank you very much! I subscribed to your YouTube as well. CRAZY close on that Wesson oil-covered CoC #3! That's insane!

Appreciate that, man! There is at least one guy who thinks it's easier to close grippers after they've been covered in grease. But he is a performing strongman, so he must be right. :rolleyes Actually, when I am reminded (some of my friends razz me about this guy a few times a year when they stumble on his comments on the IronMind forum) of his supposed opinion on grease-covered grippers being easier, I always think - "You're doing it wrong." :trout

Great log! I subscribed to your YT channel, too. Good stuff there as well.

I like that you are doing a bunch of no set gripper work. When it comes time to certify on the #3, lack of wide set strength is not going to be a problem.

Thank you very much! I subscribed to your YouTube as well. CRAZY close on that Wesson oil-covered CoC #3! That's insane!

Appreciate that, man! There is at least one guy who thinks it's easier to close grippers after they've been covered in grease. But he is a performing strongman, so he must be right. :rolleyes Actually, when I am reminded (some of my friends razz me about this guy a few times a year when they stumble on his comments on the IronMind forum) of his supposed opinion on grease-covered grippers being easier, I always think - "You're doing it wrong." :trout

Has he closed a CoC #3 covered in Wesson oil?

I have had a couple of people ask me privately about how I use my workout to fight the negative physical and mental aspects of PTSD. Here is a video where I explain it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnQ-VkKabAs

God damn, thanks for making this. Ill be sharing this with people.

• Like 1

Nothing but a hard-core workout today.

Total of 30 reps of my Primal(ZFJ) workout

Overhead presses with 100 pounds: 12, 12, 10, and 8

Bent over rows with 100 pounds: 15, 15, 15, 10

Gripster's Lament with 100 pounds and thick grips: 12, 15, 10, 8

Countless shrugs

Then I proceeded to throw down like a maniac on my new used CoC hand grippers, and my RBA. I can close the #2, but it is definitely harder than level 10 on the RBA. I cannot close the #2.5 with an RGC of 135, and I cannot close the #3 with an RGC of 150, but, I will get stronger and stronger. People think Sisyphus was trapped in an eternity of torture, having to roll that damned stone up that hill, only to have it roll back down just before he could crest that hill. But Sisyphus wasn't in hell, he was getting harder and harder, stronger and stronger, just waiting for the day when he was strong enough to break out of his prison. I won't ever stop trying to get stronger, because the struggle to get stronger is more important to me than the strength itself, I think.

Edited by ZFJango
  • Like 1

Here are my CoC grippers. The ratings were done by Cannon Powerworks for the person from whom I bought them. https://instagram.com/p/7d2dyxmsRC/

That's a tough 2.5 you got there!

Brother, you said it! I swear it laughed at me when I tried to close it! Must have been 1/8"-1/4" of space left between the grips, and it wasn't going any further. Well, not today, any way!

• Like 1

It's great that you are finding what works for you but for most people 10-20reps is too much volume and even the strongest guys in grip can't / won't do that volume when working between say 80%-95% of there max.

You said you do 500 reps each hand in that video. Telling people to do that much volume can get people hurt.

Have you tired resting up and then seeing what your 1 rep max is?

Edited by Jared Goguen

It's great that you are finding what works for you but for most people 10-20reps is too much volume and even the strongest guys in grip can't / won't do that volume when working between say 80%-95% of there max.

Have you tired resting up and then seeing what your 1 rep max is?

10-20 reps isn't too much volume when the resistance is low enough, man! That is the point. My goals aren't about one-rep max. That is why I tell folks to know what their goals are, and train accordingly. You can move 5 pounds around for hours, right? I just structure the low weight/resistance movements to suit my needs. My one-rep max right now, after Laddering up, 200 reps per hand or so, is one rep on level 8.5 with my new spring.

I guess I don't get it.

You will never hit a 315 bench if you only bench 95lbs x 100 reps. all the time.

Why not work closer to your max for less volume and get stronger?

Isn't the goal to get stronger or am I missing something here.

I'm not trying to be critical I just don't understand, and I've never heard of someone doing that level of volume and finding a benefit from it.

I guess I don't get it.

You will never hit a 315 bench if you only bench 95lbs x 100 reps. all the time.

Why not work closer to your max for less volume and get stronger?

Isn't the goal to get stronger or am I missing something here.

I'm not trying to be critical I just don't understand, and I've never heard of someone doing that level of volume and finding a benefit from it.

Except I am making gains. I couldn't close an HG200 5 weeks ago, now I can rep the HG250, close a CoC #2 for reps, and rep my RBA on level 10 AFTER a wicked grip workout. I usually only bench up to 150, but I can push 200 pounds 15 times when I make it to the gym. This isn't just me, man. There are quite a few people all over the world using my ZFJ workout who have built useable strength with ONLY 5 pound weights or less.

• Like 1

Jared, look at post #49, he explains there pretty well what his goal is.

Thank you, my friend. It is all about our goals, and how best to achieve them. I won't work with a weight until I can rep the weight just beneath it several times. This way, I avoid any damage to my joints, tendons, ligaments, etcetera. It is a longer road than pure strength training, but it is the one that suits me and my goals. Thank you again, Juri!

• Like 1

All right. Today was a good day as far as exercise goes. I hit the weights, and managed two personal records. No pauses between sets or reps.

30 x90 pound bench press after treadmill warm-up

90 x130 pound shrugs

15 x130 pound upright rows

12 x130 pound half-curls

40 x130 pound shrugs

5 x120 pound one-armed pull-downs, left and right(PR)

16(PR), x200 pound bench press

50 x130 pound shrugs

10 x130 upright rows

8 x130 pound half-curls

20 x130 pound shrugs

4 x120 pound one-armed pull-downs left and right

13 x200 pound bench press

30 x130 pound shrugs

6 x130 pound upright rows

3 x130 pound half curls

18 x130 pound shrugs

1 x120 pound pull down w/ left, 2 w/ right

8 x100 pound pull down w/ left, 9 w/right

10 x200 pound bench press

20 x130 pound shrugs

3 x130 pound upright rows

1 x130 pound half curls

8 x130 pound shrugs

8 x120 pound pull down w/ left, 10 w/ right

6 x200 pound bench press

9 x130 pound bench press

15 x100 pound bench press

6 x70 pound one hand bench press

A couple more shrugs, and a few sad one armed pull downs to finish me off.

Thanks for checking this out, y'all.

• Like 1

All right. Today was a good day as far as exercise goes. I hit the weights, and managed two personal records. No pauses between sets or reps.

30 x90 pound bench press after treadmill warm-up

90 x130 pound shrugs

15 x130 pound upright rows

12 x130 pound half-curls

40 x130 pound shrugs

5 x120 pound one-armed pull-downs, left and right(PR)

16(PR), x200 pound bench press

50 x130 pound shrugs

10 x130 upright rows

8 x130 pound half-curls

20 x130 pound shrugs

4 x120 pound one-armed pull-downs left and right

13 x200 pound bench press

30 x130 pound shrugs

6 x130 pound upright rows

3 x130 pound half curls

18 x130 pound shrugs

1 x120 pound pull down w/ left, 2 w/ right

8 x100 pound pull down w/ left, 9 w/right

10 x200 pound bench press

20 x130 pound shrugs

3 x130 pound upright rows

1 x130 pound half curls

8 x130 pound shrugs

8 x120 pound pull down w/ left, 10 w/ right

6 x200 pound bench press

9 x130 pound bench press

15 x100 pound bench press

6 x70 pound one hand bench press

A couple more shrugs, and a few sad one armed pull downs to finish me off.

Thanks for checking this out, y'all.

Intense workout, keep on the same track!

• Like 1