Gripmas 2015

climber511

Andrew Durniant is also competing.

Sweet. Gonna meet 7 gripsters for the first time.

Now...if we can only get Jason Steeves, Daniel Reinard, Aaron Corcorran and David Horne to show. Slackers! ;)

• Like 2

I will bring the two 25kg calibrated cast iron Leoko plates for you guys to lift.

Could someone please bring 3x15kg calibrated cast iron plates for me to try, if available/possible? Also, if someone has 2x25kg calibrated cast iron Eleiko or Ivanko plates, it would be cool to compare the different brands.

I almost always enjoy the after-contest feats more than the contests, if I'm not totally wiped-out by the contest itself.

Awesome!! I really want to try the two 25kg discs.. See you soon Bob!

Thanks Bob. As promised, I will bring the narrow half 120 hex block. I will get a picture to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

Thanks Jedd, sounds like fun to try!

Didn't you mention something once about having 25kg plates (they might have been loaded on a sled or something), or are they bumper plates?

I have two plates that are 45's and thicker than normal, and they weigh 50lbs each. I lifted them to about 2" from lockout this summer and haven't gotten back to them.

• Like 1

Anyone who has anything hard to lift - bring it along!!!

• Like 2

Chris Rice

Nathaniel Brous

Rich Cottrell

Josh Henze

Barrett Henze

Anthony Clarino

Jedd Johnson

Andrew Pantke

Jake Sahlaney

Josh Koenig.
Jor-el Koenig

Bob Sundin

Luke Raymond

Andrew Durniant

Ward Hiney

Any updates on the Medley?

If anyone wants to see the Medley from last year, it's in this video:

4" Stainless Crusher? Other than that the one feat I've not yet seen done at my place is a 1 hand pinch with my smooth-ish 1.75" thick 100lb plate yet.

And that my friends is last years Gripmas Medley in all it's glory - with one of the world's best showing you how its done. This year will be slightly different with a lighter set of implements and a heavier set. The heavy set items will be 2 points versus the lighter ones at 1 point. The flying poker chips are what we use to mark items as done for scoring purposes.

4" Stainless Crusher? Other than that the one feat I've not yet seen done at my place is a 1 hand pinch with my smooth-ish 1.75" thick 100lb plate yet.

Andrew bring anything you think will be a fun challenge to lift (or not) :)

• Like 1

Sponsors

Chris Rice

Jedd Johnson

Cannon Powerworks

Andrew Durniant

Farmstrength (Nick Rosendaul)

FBBC (Andrew Pantke)

Luke Raymond

I started cleaning up the gym while waiting on the food to cook. Man do I have a lot of stuff in there (and most of it has to get moved out to make room for everyone) :).

Would love to try it!

Hey gents,

Just throwing this out to everyone coming to the comp, I'm looking for a 25lb oly plate that's good for plate curling. If anyone has one and is willing to part with it for a reasonable price, let me know!

• Like 1

Hey gents,

Just throwing this out to everyone coming to the comp, I'm looking for a 25lb oly plate that's good for plate curling. If anyone has one and is willing to part with it for a reasonable price, let me know!

I'm a little confused. Do you mean a 25lb oly plate for hub curling? Because I think all oly 25's are pretty good for reg. curling.

• Like 1

Hey gents,

I'm a little confused. Do you mean a 25lb oly plate for hub curling? Because I think all oly 25's are pretty good for reg. curling.

Fair enough, let me rephrase.

I need an Olympic 25 lb plate. Anyone wanna sell one?

Hey gents,

I'm actually picking up 6 milled 25s while there so I'll soon have extra. I'll bring one from home. .50/lb = $12.50.

Hey gents,

I'm actually picking up 6 milled 25s while there so I'll soon have extra. I'll bring one from home. .50/lb = $12.50.

Awesome! You're the man, thanks

Hey gents,

For what?

Hey gents,

For what?

At this point I'm not sure who you are addressing. I'm getting the 6 25's for a double triple pinch. May take awhile for me...but kody can give them a shot during gripmas. Chris.. sorry for this tangent.

• Like 1

Hey gents,

For what?

At this point I'm not sure who you are addressing. I'm getting the 6 25's for a double triple pinch. May take awhile for me...but kody can give them a shot during gripmas. Chris.. sorry for this tangent.

No problem guys. Those milled York 25s are the best for plate pinching! Another side note - if you have anything you wish to sell or trade please bring it with you - people are always looking for stuff - there have been some great trades made here in the past. I want Gripmas to be a serious contest but my goal is for it to always have that "get together" feeling of a bunch of friends getting together for a good time lifting stuff. I will have a very few of my homemade items for sale as well. Tomorrow will be my last grip training day - I'll duplicate contest day - then a couple very easy overall days and rest the rest of the week. I'm struggling with things still but I'll be ready to play come contest day :).

• Like 2

Gripmas Plan

• Your phone or GPS will work fine to get you here with one exception on some of them. After you get into Crooksville and on Main St it sometimes says to turn right on Railroad St – DO NOT DO THIS. Keep going up main to Star St. Once you get to Burley St – we have permission to park in the funeral home lot across the street unless there is a funeral that day – in which case I will give you directions to another place close by. Burley is parking on one side only but there is plenty of parking close by.
  • 8 AM – Weigh In starts – be here early if you think you’re on the line and want to eat and drink as soon as you’re done.
  • Teresa and I will be cooking bacon (and/or sausage) and eggs and toast for everyone during the weigh in period. There will be a constant flow of coffee. There is also a restaurant a couple minute walk away. You can go to the gym and do your squats or whatever you do to get yourself ready to compete. For those new to Gripmas – my gym is 20 feet from the house.
  • 9:30 AM – Please be here before this time. Everyone sign Liability Release and draw numbers for the ISG order. Rules meeting and explanations – you can start warming up on the ISG.
  • 9:50 AM –– take Group Photo – you all help me remember to do his please.
  • 10:00 AM – Start ISG event - This event is NOT rising bar – 4 attempts. I have a poundage sheet for each spring setting that will be used for scoring.
  • Two Hand Pinch – flip coin for thick or thin widths first. Warm ups will be done on the Warm Up apparatus – you get a max of 2 warmups on the competition set up. The smallest jumps will be 5# unless it is a class or overall record in which case we will do what we can to get the desired weight. I will have the records sheets available Rising Bar and 4 attempts – we will be doing each width separately – then moving to the next width etc.
  • DO Axle DL - Warm ups will be done on the Warm Up apparatus – you get a max of 2 warmups on the competition set up. The smallest jump will be 2.5 Kilos (5.5#) unless it is a class or overall record. I will have kilos to pounds charts available to check. Rising Bar and 4 attempts.
  • Medley will be done in reverse order of where you stand overall after the Axle event. You get one 4 minute timed attempt but you can try each item as many times as you want during that time. There will be a reverse and braced bend in the Medley – I have wraps but if you want to use your own – bring them – it will help keep things moving.
  • After we finish the Medley we will eat – pizza, wings etc. It will be ready around 4 PM. We’ll get the scoring all done etc while you all eat.
  • Awards Presentations
  • Play – feats of strength to try – bring any toys you have that you think will be fun to try. Spectators are free to try things at this time as well.
  • I will have water, pop, and coffee available all day. No beer during the competition. I will have a small amount of beer but everyone has their own favorite so bring your own beer if you want any. Bring a chair and your camera. The garage is going to be packed with people so please try to bring your drinks in bottles so when they get knocked over we don’t have a mess. I don’t care how late people stay after the contest – it’s a time to visit, play, get some coaching from the more experienced grip guys, just have fun etc. this is my favorite time of any contest.
Edited by climber511
  • Like 3

Kody just talked to me this morning - he said to sign him up. Things just got interesting Luke :).

• Like 5

Yes, sorry it took so long to confirm. I plan on making it there. Work has been a demand. 60+ hours 6 days a week minimum last 9 weeks hasn't given me any room to train so we will see how things go. Looking forward to seeing everyone !

• Like 3

Chris Andrade is in!!!

• Like 2

Yes, sorry it took so long to confirm. I plan on making it there. Work has been a demand. 60+ hours 6 days a week minimum last 9 weeks hasn't given me any room to train so we will see how things go. Looking forward to seeing everyone !

Really happy to see you're coming out KODY. that's awesome!!.. See down there brother!!

We have several new people competing at Gripmas – some thoughts for you

• Have fun – don’t get so intent on doing well you forget this.
  • Do NOT bomb an event. Nothing will mess with your head worse than missing your first 3 (or 4) attempts by starting too high. Make your opener a sure thing – take the pressure off and then you can take risks with your choices.
  • If you don’t know or understand something – ask. Pay attention on the rising bar events and don’t miss your turn – once the weight is added – it doesn’t come off.
  • Please ask for “coaching tips” or help on any or all events. Take advantage of the years of experience standing in the room.
  • Don’t forget to eat and drink throughout the day – sit down once in a while. It’s hard to imagine but it’s pretty easy to “bonk” doing a grip contest by frying your nervous system.
  • You cannot stay “up” through a 5 or 6 hour competition. Learn to control your excitation for when you need it – and turn it down when you can.
  • Plan to stick around after the contest – this is where the real fun stuff happens – where you can try that feat you didn’t have the equipment for at home - and where you can learn the most.
  • Have Fun.
  • Like 7