Best Powerlifts Of All Time

Bill Piche

I won't consider that feat one of the all time greatest. His ankle warmers give him an unfair advantage.

Best Bench: Scott Mendelson's 715 raw bench.

Best Squat: Don Reinhoudt's 934, belt only.

Best Deadlift: Coan's 865 @ 220, conventional. Sumo does not count.

wow...the racks on that Hatfield squat look just a touch makeshift for a 1K squat. lol

maybe I'm just a ninny. Seems like he had to hold that for quite a while to get that set back up.

My favourite bench press:

Wow..how much was that? Long pause!

285kg

Edited by Florian Kellersmann

4th attempt, he actually came second in the competition with 260kg, winner benched 265kg (in their three lifts valid for the competition).

I've heard the phrase "the upper body of a 400lb man" before but here it is very apt - his bodyweight is 156.18kg (344.25lbs).

• 2 weeks later...

anybody know what the best lifts/max is for the BIG Z

i dont follow it close but evertime a see a strongman event this guy seems the most powerfull-----------i was just wondering what kind of numbers this guy puts up in the gym like on bench, sh press, squat, deadlift, and others

i dont follow it close but evertime a see a strongman event this guy seems the most powerfull-----------i was just wondering what kind of numbers this guy puts up in the gym like on bench, sh press, squat, deadlift, and others

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%BDydr%C5%ABnas_Savickas

Here you can see his lifts.

Benched low 600's raw at one point. SOHP about 400 pounds, I'd guess. DL about 940 with straps. Squat, who knows? I'd guess around 900 with knee wraps.

Coan's 1003 (1006?) squat with an old Z suit full of runs to WELL below parallel is the best squat in my mind. He told me when I interviewed him in STRONG! that it was the lift he was proudest of.

Gary Heisey 925 DL that stood as the best ever for so many years. The guy was extremely tall, well over 6' and short armed. Not built for deads at all. If you can find a pic somewhere, look at how high off the ground the bar is.

Bench? maybe one of the Big Jim Williams? no shirt 700+? The super shirts kinda kill benching for me.

Coan's 1003 (1006?) squat with an old Z suit full of runs to WELL below parallel is the best squat in my mind. He told me when I interviewed him in STRONG! that it was the lift he was proudest of.

Gary Heisey 925 DL that stood as the best ever for so many years. The guy was extremely tall, well over 6' and short armed. Not built for deads at all. If you can find a pic somewhere, look at how high off the ground the bar is.

Bench? maybe one of the Big Jim Williams? no shirt 700+? The super shirts kinda kill benching for me.

i always hear the name Paul Anderson thrown around

what kind of # does this guy have?

Edited by Robert Bishop

Most of Anderson's lifts were unofficial, mainly later in his career. He set PL world records in the squat, lifting in a singlet & street shoes with no knee wraps, and was observed in a Munich training hall prior to the world weightlifting championships squatting 700+ for 10 reps with no warm up. He claimed 1200lbs, prior to suits, no wraps, and usually never wore a belt. He pressed in exhibition in Russia (when at the time the Russian record for the Oly press was 330) 400+ lbs creating a national sensation in Russia, and earning him his nickname in Russia "The Wonder of Nature". He won the Olympics for the USA in 1956, and set American records. There's a ton of stuff available on him. and plenty of vids on youtube.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of Anderson's lifts were unofficial, mainly later in his career. He set PL world records in the squat, lifting in a singlet & street shoes with no knee wraps, and was observed in a Munich training hall prior to the world weightlifting championships squatting 700+ for 10 reps with no warm up. He claimed 1200lbs, prior to suits, no wraps, and usually never wore a belt. He pressed in exhibition in Russia (when at the time the Russian record for the Oly press was 330) 400+ lbs creating a national sensation in Russia, and earning him his nickname in Russia "The Wonder of Nature". He won the Olympics for the USA in 1956, and set American records. There's a ton of stuff available on him. and plenty of vids on youtube.

He was a great squatter, and a great bencher, but his deadlift was remarkably low. I know a guy who witnessed him pull 700, which is a very good deadlift, but not very competitive these days at the highest levels for a SHW. A lot of Anderson apologists get very quiet when the subject of the deadlift is brought up. It's probably the biggest objection to the claim that Anderson is the strongest man to ever live. You can become overweight and make your squat go up, but you can't eat your way to a bigger deadlift. It's just brute strength. So the fact that Anderson was overshadowed by so many at the very lift that most consider the best test of brute strength is a tough pill for many to swallow.

Edited by The Natural

• 3 weeks later...

He was a great squatter, and a great bencher, but his deadlift was remarkably low. I know a guy who witnessed him pull 700, which is a very good deadlift, but not very competitive these days at the highest levels for a SHW. A lot of Anderson apologists get very quiet when the subject of the deadlift is brought up. It's probably the biggest objection to the claim that Anderson is the strongest man to ever live. You can become overweight and make your squat go up, but you can't eat your way to a bigger deadlift. It's just brute strength. So the fact that Anderson was overshadowed by so many at the very lift that most consider the best test of brute strength is a tough pill for many to swallow.

I have heard he deadlifted 820lbs with hooks, but still over 300 lbs under his best squat. He trained almost exclusively on the squat, and taken his weak wrists into account, this is a great deadlift.

• 1 month later...

Not really best ever but I just thought I'd mention this video. 325kg at 176, pretty damn impressive to me.

Edited by boulderingbadass

You just don't know the whole story. I think this quote sums things up pretty well:

"Although not widely known, Paul, for years, had downplayed public displays of his deadlifting ability, out of respect for his friend, Bob Peoples's longstanding record."

page 101 from Paul Anderson: The Mightiest Minister