Inch replica vs. Inch training handle

Grind

I have an inch training handle that makes it possible to plate load an Inch type lift.
I don't have an Inch replica or a baby Inch so I can't compare these to a plate loaded Inch training handle.

This post from Alawadhi got me thinking.

On 17 mei 2016 at 5:00 PM, Alawadhi said:

A note for people who don't know, one hard iron cast bell is harder than loose plates fitted together. Just sayin because then new gripsters might think it is same.

Is an Inch replica harder to lift than an Inch training handle with all the plates bolted to the handle (so plates can't rotate) when both are the same weight? 
If so I would like to know why this would be? Are there members here that have compared both?

- Does the bell shape make the handle rotate with more force than a cylinder shape weight? I would think the opposite could be true because there is more steel volume placed further from the center of the dumbbell.
- Are there other factors that make lifting an Inch replica harder to lift than an Inch training handle?

Just to be clear I placed a picture of the Inch training handle so you know what I'm talking about. 

large.343g8rt.jpg-2.png.fed30723dd495e33

• Like 1

With the "Pro Dumbbell" made by FBBC (which I highly recommend), it feels very, very close pound-for-pound to the Inch when I've tried it loaded in the 150-172 lb. range with the plates tightened down to the point that they couldn't spin independently. On a solid globe DB, a one-inch difference in diameter makes a significant difference in difficulty. I usually do not feel the slightest rotation on a 135 lb. solid globe Inch-type DB (globes are ~1" smaller then the 172-pounder) when lifting it, unless I'm already fatigued.

The 172# Inch feels way more than the ~20-25% greater difficulty you might expect; your perception will be that it rotates much harder pound-for-pound. I have to be alert to not let the rotation catch me off-guard, this was true even when I hit a peak of balancing cans on each globe for about 10 seconds. I'm speaking as someone whose hands are about average in size, if you have really big or really small hands, the feel will be different.

It looks like you've done a very good job in using the plates to imitate the shape of a cast DB. So, I'd guess you'd at least be able to get significant air or a full lift when you can lift 172# or more on the Inch training handle, if the plates are locked very tightly and the diameter of the wider plates is close to the Inch. I would also suggest using magnets or duct tape to attach weight on the finger side of the DB ( decreases rotation-makes it easier) or thumb side (increases rotation-makes it harder) if you don't feel like using tools to adjust the weight.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, odin said:

With the "Pro Dumbbell" made by FBBC (which I highly recommend), it feels very, very close pound-for-pound to the Inch when I've tried it loaded in the 150-172 lb. range with the plates tightened down to the point that they couldn't spin independently. On a solid globe DB, a one-inch difference in diameter makes a significant difference in difficulty. I usually do not feel the slightest rotation on a 135 lb. solid globe Inch-type DB (globes are ~1" smaller then the 172-pounder) when lifting it, unless I'm already fatigued.

It looks like you've done a very good job in using the plates to imitate the shape of a cast DB. So, I'd guess you'd at least be able to get significant air or a full lift when you can lift 172# or more on the Inch training handle, if the plates are locked very tightly and the diameter of the wider plates is close to the Inch. I would also suggest using magnets or duct tape to attach weight on the finger side of the DB ( decreases rotation-makes it easier) or thumb side (increases rotation-makes it harder) if you don't feel like using tools to adjust the weight.

Thnx Bob for your reply. 
I think this factor is exactly what makes an Inch replica so hard to lift. Bigger diameter bells or plates increases the momentum (rotation force) of a dumbbell. 8" plates or bells are easier to lift than 10" plates or bells when both are the same weight. 

My biggest plates are 22cm (8,67"). Don't know how this compares to the diameter of a Inch replica bell. 

Bob says right thing. Also, you can also read this thread back in 2006 it has good information. Many replies from thick bar daddy to gripboard old timers.

Edit: If you read carefully you will see the 17 year old man was Sam. And he lifted 105Kg on his 60MM thick bar and never claimed to NEAR the millennium db. I don't think he also fully lifted the Inch at that time. Anyone who knows correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by Alawadhi

I know Mobster (Steve Gardener) has said that you'd need to lift 30-40 lbs more with a regular plate-loaded ~2.5# handle dumbbell that had "normal" collars in order to be able to lift the 172 Inch. I haven't experimented with this, but he apparently has. I can give it a try after I go through a period of focusing on the Inch for a few weeks.

However, in my experience, the newer DBs like the "Pro Dumbbell" made by FBBC that require tools to tighten the plates to the DB in such a way that they cannot spin at all are another thing entirely. With plates of the proper size, i doubt you could tell much, if any, difference pound-per-pound vs. a solid globe DB.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Bob says right thing. Also, you can also read this thread back in 2006 it has good information. Many replies from thick bar daddy to gripboard old timers.

Edit: If you read carefully you will see the 17 year old man was Sam. And he lifted 105Kg on his 60MM thick bar and never claimed to NEAR the millennium db. I don't think he also fully lifted the Inch at that time. Anyone who knows correct me if I am wrong.

I don't know what type of plate loaded db was used but since the topic is from 2006 I think it's not a handle you can compare with the "Pro Dumbbell" made bij FBBC. 
As Bob said the Pro db feels very very close to the Inch replica. The diameter of the plates need to be close to the real deal off course. 

2 hours ago, odin said:

I know Mobster (Steve Gardener) has said that you'd need to lift 30-40 lbs more with a regular plate-loaded ~2.5# handle dumbbell that had "normal" collars in order to be able to lift the 172 Inch. I haven't experimented with this, but he apparently has. I can give it a try after I go through a period of focusing on the Inch for a few weeks.

However, in my experience, the newer DBs like the "Pro Dumbbell" made by FBBC that require tools to tighten the plates to the DB in such a way that they cannot spin at all are another thing entirely. With plates of the proper size, i doubt you could tell much, if any, difference pound-per-pound vs. a solid globe DB.

My handle works the same as the Pro Dumbbell but it has metric dimensions. It's 2 3/8" and a M24 thread rod.

I just measured the diameters of the bell dumbbells from the picture below (Inch replica / Millenium Dumbell / Snookenstein). I don't know if these are exact, maybe someone can measure the circumference of an Inch bell to confirm. If correct it would mean that my plates come really close to the Inch replica.

30cotad.jpg

Why not try the inch and know for sure? Better that way and waaay easeir than guessing and calculating diameters

7 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Why not try the inch and know for sure? Better that way and waaay easeir than guessing and calculating diameters

Bob has answered your question already so we now know for sure. I think we all can say that Bob is an Inch expert. He has trained multiple years on Inch type lifts and has lifted the Inch replica multiple times. And he stated "it feels very, very close pound-for-pound to the Inch when I've tried it loaded in the 150-172 lb. range". I assumed veteran board members knew about the "Pro Dumbbell" that you can't compare it to a regular plate loaded fat dumbbell. In the opening post I asked if there are members here that have used them both and Bob has. From your replies I presume you haven't compared both training devices.

I also stated before that I don't have an Inch so how can I try it? Secondly I can't lift the Inch so how could I compare them that way? Thirdly the Pro Dumbbell "feels" the same as the Inch replica for a fraction of the cost (also shipping costs) and you can load and deload weight so it's more versatile as a training device. I now know that an Inch has 8" bells that are smaller than my 8,6" plates. This would mean that the rotation force of my Inch training handle is even bigger than that of an Inch replica. This makes the feat of my friends, one who lifted 162lb the first time handling an Inch type lift ever (and never trained grip before), even more impressive. 

Edited by Grind

3 hours ago, Grind said:

Bob has answered your question already so we now know for sure. I think we all can say that Bob is an Inch expert. He has trained multiple years on Inch type lifts and has lifted the Inch replica multiple times. And he stated "it feels very, very close pound-for-pound to the Inch when I've tried it loaded in the 150-172 lb. range". I assumed veteran board members knew about the "Pro Dumbbell" that you can't compare it to a regular plate loaded fat dumbbell. In the opening post I asked if there are members here that have used them both and Bob has. From your replies I presume you haven't compared both training devices.

I also stated before that I don't have an Inch so how can I try it? Secondly I can't lift the Inch so how could I compare them that way? Thirdly the Pro Dumbbell "feels" the same as the Inch replica for a fraction of the cost (also shipping costs) and you can load and deload weight so it's more versatile as a training device. I now know that an Inch has 8" bells that are smaller than my 8,6" plates. This would mean that the rotation force of my Inch training handle is even bigger than that of an Inch replica. This makes the feat of my friends, one who lifted 162lb the first time handling an Inch type lift ever (and never trained grip before), even more impressive. 

First of all stop taking this personally like a little baby. You are barely a year here and misbehaving?! Boy oo boy here we go again.

Second, you should thank me for taking the time for doing your own homework for you. I used a lot of my time to read old topics for you and gave you a link to answer your question on other aspects. Yet you didn't thank me (not expecting it anyway, hey this is the gripboard and we veterans never acted like this here) and try to imply your friends are lifting a real inch. If they ever did lift the inch and I wish them so. Congrats to them.

Third, yes you said you don't have the inch but trying it doesn't mean to buy it. Just go to any gripboard member.

Forth, I don't have pro fbbc handle but I have/own and used more inches and thick handles than you will ever see in your life. So I know a thing or two about it.

Fifth, you deliberately quoted me in your topic because as what Tommy said you want to imply your friends have lifted the inch. Again, what I said is most handles are not same as the inch. Most people wont buy fbbc pro handle and they will use pipe to have thick bar training. No one is complaining. Never anyone lifting 79kg on thick bar said he lifted the inch expect you indirectly. I have congrats you before on your topic and congrats your friends too. I never said it was easy as you can read.

Finally, instead of complaining always just say thanks once for people who are taking the time to reply to your question which was asked hundreds times before and can be searched here. Train hard and hope to see you one day on the inch lift. I too want to lift it. We are all here for the same thing. To be stronger. And give advice and get it back. Not to bash one another. I have done a lot for grip and wantto do more. But bashing other people won't take you a strp forward.

I don't know where this is coming from but my intension for opening this topic was to learn something about lifting the Inch and not to bash anyone. Never have I disrespected you in any way and did not take anything personally. I think we just had a good discussion about Inch lifting, that's what this board is all about I hope. I don't know why you get upset about my posting. 
I also did not know it's mandatory to thank anyone if they make a compliment. You say you didn't expect it but use a paragraph in your post about this subject, this implies you did expect a compliment. That aside It's not my performance in the shown video so I would find it strange to thank someone for a compliment that's not intended for me. I did got a compliment from anwnate about my "mancave" and did thank him about that. 

You stated in the other topic that a solid iron cast bell is harder to lift than loose plates fitted together. I quoted your post in this topic to learn something about the difference between an Inch replica lift and a "Pro Dumbbell" lift and not to bash you in any way. I was hoping someone like Bob would respond because of the immense experience these atletes have. We can all learn a lot from them. And it seem we both have learned a lot from his posts. 

I have learned that you and I where talking about something else when addressing the Inch training handle. You where talking about a lift where plates still can rotate. I was not aware of that and this topic made that clear to me. You are absolutely right that lifting a Inch training handle, where the plates are not bolted to the handle, is way easier than lifting an Inch replica. Maybe I could have been more clear in the video topic about what a "Pro Dumbbell" exactly is. 

I hope you believe me that I never intended to take this personal or bash you in any way and we can get back about the subject. 

Edited by Grind
  • Like 1

No offence taken. And correct that's what we all hope. To learn from each other. I still pursue you to keep pushing your friends (and you) to keep on training and lift the inch. Maybe one day the big inch too. Anything is possible with training.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

No offence taken. And correct that's what we all hope. To learn from each other. I still pursue you to keep pushing your friends (and you) to keep on training and lift the inch. Maybe one day the big inch too. Anything is possible with training.

Thnx I really hope to get that change in the future. Our other dutch board members here don't have an Inch replica. I don't think there is one exemplar in our country.
It's really ashame that the gripsport does not exist in our country. You have to go to Germany I think to find a Inch replica. 

Edited by Grind
  • Like 1

Welcome!

Oh and I thought you were American. In my country I am the only one with grip implements. And yes in Germany there are few with it. Btw bob had some good ideas in the past. Tighen your inch handle and add a magnet on yiur thumb side and then add weights. It will rotate very strongly. The 79kg inch will be jealous.

But your friends don't let them get away. Keep pushing them to train grip once in a while. Spread the word of grip so much over there. I am doing something big here and hopefully it will succeed. One day we will have huuuge competition with big cash prize God willing. I know it.

Edited by Alawadhi

ok I've never lifted an inch (172 lb) I did however lift, snatch and press the 100 lb FBBC bell and now I have in my possession the FBBC pro DB and I felt the Pro had more rotation and was harder at 100 then the solid bell. Do not take it as gospel as I haven't  lifted many solid bells other then the 100. But many folk on here have said since the Pro Db has been produced that it's pretty much bees knees as far as training for the actual solid bell.

• 3 weeks later...

Today one of the brothers lifted 172lb (78kg) on the pro db, 2nd time he trains with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grind said:

Today one of the brothers lifted 172lb (78kg) on the pro db, 2nd time he trains with it. 

Thats very impressive. How much can he deadlift the traditional way with a barbell? It seems like the really strong deadlifters usually are good with thick bar right when they start with it.