The 2016 Southern Squeeze Grip Competition

Squeezus

Gil, how soon will you decide on the contest events for the 2017 Southern Squeeze? I have a friend who moved about an hour away from your area, and it turns out he is going to be on paternity leave the entire month of January, 2017. So what better time to visit? And sneak over to the Southern Squeeze while I'm at. :grin:

• Like 1

Gil, how soon will you decide on the contest events for the 2017 Southern Squeeze? I have a friend who moved about an hour away from your area, and it turns out he is going to be on paternity leave the entire month of January, 2017. So what better time to visit? And sneak over to the Southern Squeeze while I'm at. :grin:

YES!!! We haven't started deciding on it yet, but I think the Grippers and Flask will return along with the medley. I might sub in another thickbar, like the Crusher, for the Vbar. Not quite sure. I want to have some crush, pinch, thickbar, and a medley.

• Like 5

YES!!! We haven't started deciding on it yet, but I think the Grippers and Flask will return along with the medley. I might sub in another thickbar, like the Crusher, for the Vbar. Not quite sure. I want to have some crush, pinch, thickbar, and a medley.

Any chance of a different set for the grippers? Say CCS?

Any chance of a different set for the grippers? Say CCS?

This is possible :)

Hey there, everyone. I sent 4 prize vouchers to the first place winners of each event. I believe I put my email address on there, but if you'd rather use the Gripboard PM system or Facebook messaging, those are fine too. Thanks and congrats to all the winners.

I have to confess. I never looked at this thread until today. Looks like it was a great contest in all respects. Especially for a First One! Simple events, lots of competitors of all levels and sizes, happy participants. Can't ask for any more than that.

Great Vbar lifts and nice going on "The Flask".

• Like 1

I sucked that day, But I too learned alot. I jacked up my setting on my 128 and 131 attempts and missed the close by a DNA strand. By the end of the contest was ready for more, so I'm not sure if I didn't really put it out there or I just lacked strength in certain events. My flask lift was alright, but out of it all I was disappointed the most with my Vbar, 202 slipped twice, the weight was easy though.

Some takeaways:

1) Gotta get stronger at the Vbar and learn how to really stick to the bar, no matter whose it is.

2) Need to practice the contest set more then I did, not doing so cost me 2 PRs

3) Need to work on my hub and overall pinch strength.

4)Do not treat grip training in the same manner as powerlifting/strongman (specificity)

5)Fix my resting bitch face. Only person brave enough to talk to me was Bob, but Bob looks like he would punch a bear in the face and not think twice about it.

Edited by KapMan
  • Like 2

Maria and I would like to extend a big thanks to everyone who helped make The 2016 Southern Squeeze such a huge success!

North American Grip Sport

Resilient Health and Performance - Josh Renkens
Fat Bastard Barbell Company

Nathaniel Brous

Stephen Thompson

Josh Trenary

Jesse Felter

PJ Olsen

Dana Nelson

Jared Goguen

Annie Klopp

Josh Henze

Jedd Johnson

Delmar Carter

Bob Sundin

Shawn Kapusta

Jon Gordon

James Retarides

I'm sorry if I left anyone out. Thank you as well to all the competitors, seasoned veterans and newbies, who came and brought their great attitudes and strong hands to make it all worthwhile.

• Like 5

Pc6ApSK.jpg

Not sure if anybody saw these cool handmade trophies they handed out, so here ya go. Also won a set of Stirrup's which I'm excited to train with!

and of course... Blue Label. lol

Edited by Euclides
  • Like 1

You won Blue Label? :huh:

Haha, I wish.

I'm pretty sure that if Blue Label was listed as one of the prizes, everybody on GB would've showed up.

• Like 2

You won Blue Label? :huh:

Haha, I wish.

I'm pretty sure that if Blue Label was listed as one of the prizes, everybody on GB would've showed up.

True that.

For those of you who couldn't make it to the competition but wanted to grab one of the Southern Squeeze shirts, you can grab one here while supplies last: http://www.barrelstrengthsystems.com/new-products/2016-southern-squeeze-shirt

• Like 1

nice, how are the sizes? let's say compared to the cpw or king kong t shirts?

edit: just saw this "The men's shirts are an athletic fit, so if you are deciding between sizes, go with the larger one."

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

edit: just saw this "The men's shirts are an athletic fit, so if you are deciding between sizes, go with the larger one."

They are the same brand as the King Kong and CPW Shirts.

• Like 1

I tried on a 2xl and it was like putting spandex on a baby elephant

• Like 2

Competition results have been uploaded to The Top 100 Lists. Furthermore, The Flask has been sanctioned and is also on the Top 100 Lists.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@Squeezus  Gil, did you ever make a video about your magnetic crossbar height indicator thingy?  I'd like to see what you did there.

6 minutes ago, Cannon said:

@Squeezus  Gil, did you ever make a video about your magnetic crossbar height indicator thingy?  I'd like to see what you did there.

It's still on my to-do list. I've been keeping really busy slingin' these Flasks, man.

• Like 2