Curl War 3: The Peoples' Dietitian Vs. The Diesel Crew

jad

I doubt I'll ever curl 100 lbs strict, but for what it's worth here are my best efforts :)

29.4kg strict curl, roughly 64.5lbs

32.12kg semi-strict curl, roughly 70.5lbs

The 29.4kg should be good I think, but I don't know about the 32.12kg. I'll leave that one up to Josh. None of the weights were weighed on video. My mechanical scale that is not very accurate(not that the common digital scale is very accurate either). Instead I just call what the weights are. They are actually a bit heavier than stated since the dumbbell actually weighs more than 1kg.

I will start the noble sport of curling as well. :D Here's my first entry. 28,7 kg or 63 lbs. Form is not as strict as I thought, but I believe more strict than on some of the videos posted so far? Next target is breaking the 70 lbs with similar form.

http://youtu.be/y_5BQP1FK5A

I think my elbow would snap or my bicep would tear if I kept it under tension out at that very end-range of the curl. That was very impressive bro.

I doubt I'll ever curl 100 lbs strict, but for what it's worth here are my best efforts :)

29.4kg strict curl, roughly 64.5lbs

32.12kg semi-strict curl, roughly 70.5lbs

The 29.4kg should be good I think, but I don't know about the 32.12kg. I'll leave that one up to Josh. None of the weights were weighed on video. My mechanical scale that is not very accurate(not that the common digital scale is very accurate either). Instead I just call what the weights are. They are actually a bit heavier than stated since the dumbbell actually weighs more than 1kg.

I would pass both of them but Rob is always the final word as it's his challenge. I hope he comments on the lean. You and myself both had more lean than his 87 vid but our elbow doesn't travel forward near as much. His hips also go forward in that vid and ours don't move (my 86.8/your 29.4). Thanks for participating!

As Rob's form is considered as the standard as it's his challenge, I would say David that especially the first was strict in this context. Nice work!

I now read that Rob's arm doesn't fully extend. So I guess it's ok for others to mimic that?

Thanks Jedd. I might not go much heavier than that with my elbow fully extended. But I have always curled like that so I suppose my tendons should be conditioned for it.

Edited by Teemu I

You're out of your mind

How come? Watch your video again and look for these two things:

1) Notice how your chest "raises" when you hit the sticking point. In other words, you use thoraccic extension (ie: lean backwards a bit in your upper torso) to get past it. How am I out of my mind?

2) Notice the "shoulder drop" as you reach and get past your sticking point. Your entire shoulder girdle drops lower. Either I need a pair of glasses, my monitor is broken, or as you say, I'm out of my mind, but I actually see this quite clearly when I play it.

These are minor "flaws" and your curl is VERY impressive and there is absolutely no "swing" to it and I loved the way you fought your way through it. I was just stating an honest observation and I'd be glad to hear why I'm wrong but please give me more details and don't just tell me I'm insane :P

You're out of your mind

How come? Watch your video again and look for these two things:

1) Notice how your chest "raises" when you hit the sticking point. In other words, you use thoraccic extension (ie: lean backwards a bit in your upper torso) to get past it. How am I out of my mind?

2) Notice the "shoulder drop" as you reach and get past your sticking point. Your entire shoulder girdle drops lower. Either I need a pair of glasses, my monitor is broken, or as you say, I'm out of my mind, but I actually see this quite clearly when I play it.

These are minor "flaws" and your curl is VERY impressive and there is absolutely no "swing" to it and I loved the way you fought your way through it. I was just stating an honest observation and I'd be glad to hear why I'm wrong but please give me more details and don't just tell me I'm insane :P

1. It was just a good natured jab back at you my friend

2. I definitely had some lean but as I posted earlier but my elbow doesn't travel forward like Rob's 87 vid and my hips don't move like his 87 vid. So do these offset the fact that I had more lean than Rob's vid or is it a literal emulation of his vid and no extra lean is allowed but feel free to start with arm bent and let the elbow travel forward?

3. It's Rob's challenge so his vid is unreproachable as the standard and since we're not IronMind, the 87 will remain the standard since it was the original,regardless of how strict his forthcoming vids are.

and since we're not IronMind

That made me smile :)

Allright Josh.

As I said, your video is tremendous! :)

Since Rob's 2008 video of lower weight has been improved by the man himself, doing more weight, in stricter fashion, and to top things off, in one of his two videos he clearly says "That's the new standard I guess".... I (perhaps foolishly?) thought that either of his newer video were indeed the "new standard". After all, like I said: 1) it's him again, 2) it's a heavier DB, 3) it's even stricter!, and 4) he says that in the video.

So forgive me if the standard actually remains his old video. :P

And nice IM joke, btw :-)

Just threw together a loadable with an old piece of pipe and some random collars. Just need to find some standard chips and I'll be set.

Just threw together a loadable with an old piece of pipe and some random collars. Just need to find some standard chips and I'll be set.

That was a strict piece right there.

Underneath bb front raises?

How do you perform this exercise? Do you have a video?

I just wanted to say that I tried these tonight and they are awesome. I must have a weakness in my left bicep (actually I know I do, but forgot I guess) and this lift targetted it BIG TIME.

Give it a try guys.

Jedd

Allright Josh.

As I said, your video is tremendous! :)

Since Rob's 2008 video of lower weight has been improved by the man himself, doing more weight, in stricter fashion, and to top things off, in one of his two videos he clearly says "That's the new standard I guess".... I (perhaps foolishly?) thought that either of his newer video were indeed the "new standard". After all, like I said: 1) it's him again, 2) it's a heavier DB, 3) it's even stricter!, and 4) he says that in the video.

So forgive me if the standard actually remains his old video. :P

And nice IM joke, btw :-)

Again, we're not IM so the old standard stands. Rob's comment about the standard was directed at my blog promotion of him where I billed his 87 vid as the standard as well as a response to some Youtube comments by Incredible Hulk Robert. He wasn't suggesting that we now judge people by his new vid instead of the 87...at least I hope not because if so I'm no longer interested because as I mentioned; we're not IronMind.

JAD -

You guys curl more than some guys squat, but I only skimmed all these posts so maybe I got this wrong, but I think you're saying that the original is the standard, so you're protecting the legacy, right?

Good man—so while it's true, you're not IM, now I understand why you were up in arms when some guys looking for feat cheater dude points thought they could deepset their way to CoC certification . . .

TEDS

Thank you very much for posting the video, Josh!

Was that a fart PR?

Yes sir. Most farting without "producing a sample".
  • Like 1

Was that a fart PR?

Yes sir. Most farting without "producing a sample".

Hahaha!

This would guarantee a sample

funny-gifs-extreme-work-out.gif

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Small Victories. Last night I got 85.5.

• Like 4

Thanks. I am interested to hear if it passes, as my torso did not stay in one spot like I like, although my eyes were squinting so hard, I could not really perceive it as I was curling.