Who's #1 In The Usa?

Vonda Sue

I would disagree with that I think. You need a world class pinch in order to stand a chance of beating guys like Chad.
Clay Edgin seems to be pursuing Strongman these days. I believe that with 60 days training, he would beat any American in a grip contest with standard events.

Hbgzr

I think I see another wager coming up here. Stay tuned for more information...

Dun dun dun.. I'm excited :mosher

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hubgeezer

• bencrush

• jad

• climber511

Don't forget to factor in bending into the grip contest equation. Clay is a huge bender still. Does Chad bend? Who knows...

I noticed the other day that Rob Vigeant Jr. won at least one grip contest in 2004 where some HUGE names participated (Heslep, Morton, Gardener, etc, etc) .. if that guy would focus on grip I bet he'd be #1 or very close at the very least!

I noticed the other day that Rob Vigeant Jr. won at least one grip contest in 2004 where some HUGE names participated (Heslep, Morton, Gardener, etc, etc) .. if that guy would focus on grip I bet he'd be #1 or very close at the very least!

Yep, that was what was said by jad re Monkeypaws, one and the same. He was first place in GGC 2004, and is completely into arm wrestling. Clay Edgin was second place, and has been in Strongman lately.

I had a post about 2 months ago asking if anyone had ever torn a phone book behind their back. I don't think I said why I asked the question. Clay Edgin performed at my Rotary Club's 25th anniversary party on October 27. As a strongman "performer", he was way better than 18 months earlier, very impressive. He had lost around 20 pounds of fat and gained 20 pounds of muscle in the 18 months since I had seen him. I think his overall strength gains would translate into better grip competition performances if that was what he wanted to do. His phone book behind the back by the way was 100% effortless.

I would disagree with that I think. You need a world class pinch in order to stand a chance of beating guys like Chad.
2HP doesn't come easy to Clay, he admits that himself, but he got 2 45's almost exactly a year ago, and is stronger now in all other areas than he was then, so it's fair to assume that his 2HP will improve with a little dedicated training, so he has to be considered a contender.

I think if this question is asked again in 5 years time, the name Ben Edwards would need to be mentioned.

It's the same as any sport new names will come through all the time.

I think if you look at the top 3 lists and see who's done what, the form guide points to;

1. Steve McGranahan

2. Chad Woodall

3. Dave Morton

Possibly Rob W. Vigeant could be back into the fray of things if he came back to this, but I doubt it.

Of course things can change, and the form guide is not always correct.

David

Yep, that was what was said by jad re Monkeypaws, one and the same. He was first place in GGC 2004, and is completely into arm wrestling. Clay Edgin was second place, and has been in Strongman lately.

I had a post about 2 months ago asking if anyone had ever torn a phone book behind their back. I don't think I said why I asked the question. Clay Edgin performed at my Rotary Club's 25th anniversary party on October 27. As a strongman "performer", he was way better than 18 months earlier, very impressive. He had lost around 20 pounds of fat and gained 20 pounds of muscle in the 18 months since I had seen him. I think his overall strength gains would translate into better grip competition performances if that was what he wanted to do. His phone book behind the back by the way was 100% effortless.

Thanks for the mention. I seem to remember beating Dave (Jedd beat me). Dave is unreal at bending and would kick my ass all day long and twice at weekends. However, he admitted he had done little all round training for the 2004. On all round grip lifting I'd beat him. If he trained for all round grip... another matter entirely.

Form changes all the time and so tghe next few events can change everyones view on who is the best. As much asI'd love to have a lift stand for all time we all know that is impossible and so in a few months new names will appear on lists. More and more will do 400+ on the V-Bar for example. As an orgainzed and semi-popular sport we are still in our infancy.

Clay told me that he's been getting back into grip training recently. He said that taking a layoff from focusing on grip and dedicating himself to making his entire body stronger has been a big help because his grip strength has increased. He stated that he has hit some grip PRs that have exceeded what he was doing when he was focused mainly on grip.

Clay did recently contact me about bending again.

Morton could be a monster if he'd train on a semi regular basis. He's a monster now with grippers & bending (well, overall, really), got a great pinch.

I like Twig's comment on Ben Edwards. Look at his increases in a year, & I don't know too many that train more volume & consistent intensity. I'll give him 2 years to be top 5 at the BBB. At the end of 2005, he wasn't even on the top 50 bending list, and now.... If he keeps knocking out his weaker events that fast, then where will he end up?

Edited by John Beatty

Clay has said he will be at my Michigan contest this year. Woodall and Jedd have expressed interest, and I know Dave Thorton is coming. Should be a good show.

Clay was on the top a few years ago, but things have changed. Really, no idea where he will be now.

I agree about Ben Edwards, he is a smart guy and will get better soon. His pinch lags a little but he is working it hard. Could be in the very top soon, I would not be suprised.

Ryan Klein is another guy to watch. He is improving his grippers and pinch, and could come out on top against anyone in the world on the vbar on any given day. He did beat Dave T once in a contest, and there is a very short list of guys who can claim that.

Bob-

I'll be there for sure. I just need to send the form to you.

John

In regards to Bob'd contest if your iffy on 2hp you'll be really iffy on his 2hp event at a narrow setting I've done it ounce and couldn't believe how much harder it was felt like my knuckles bent backwards.As far as the best there is always someone bigger and badder fact of life so don't put to much in naming the #1 like Steve mentioned earlier we're still in the infancy of this game oh man I just quoted steve :D .

It would sure be nice if we could get all the big guns together at one contest - I'd sure enjoy the privelege of competing against them all. It will of course depend on the list of events but most of these guys have strong and "less strong" areas that will tend to even things out some over a number of events.

Clay has said he will be at my Michigan contest this year. Woodall and Jedd have expressed interest, and I know Dave Thorton is coming. Should be a good show.

Ahem, I did say something about a wager a dozen posts back or so to a comment Mikael had made...

I am willing to make a bet again. Another gripper perhaps. Chad will beat Clay.

I am willing to make a bet again. Another gripper perhaps. Chad will beat Clay.

Okay, let's stick to IronMind or Beef Builders. Otherwise I will be asking for a gold-plated RB if I win.

With all due respect to the great athletes that we have...my belief is that Clay would not enter a competition unless he planned on winning, and having seen him recently, I feel pretty strongly about that.

With all due respect to the great athletes that we have...my belief is that Clay would not enter a competition unless he planned on winning, and having seen him recently, I feel pretty strongly about that.

I was wrong. His focus is still on Strongman, yet he will still enter Grip Contests.

I will stand by my bet with MS, but I would not advise others to join in.

I am new to the board and was wondering who is the best overall grip athlete in the USA?

Thanks

By the way, Peyton, I must commend you. You are brand new, and look what kind of response that your simple question had. Many Veteran Members have joined in the fray, I mean, discussion. This has been fun, thanks!

Hubgeezer

My opinions parallel that of my good buddy Bob L.

Dave Thornton has shown consistent progress with his hand and wrist strength and has gotten continually better for the two or three years I've known him. In any contest, anywhere in the world, he is going to have to be considered a threat. On top of that Dave is a guy whom I could never, ever call an asshole. He's a gentleman competitor, who'll encourage you to do your absolute best, even if you might be beating him in a particular event.

Also, Ryan Klein has made leaps and bounds in improving his grip and wrist strength. And he started with a whole lot of hand strength. Look out for him as a potential upset in any contest.

Dave and Ryan aren't considered top benders IIRC, but I do think that they are both working hard on it.

Finally, I think Bob Lipinski himself has a lot of very strong events. If he can shore up his thick bar work, he's a contender. I think he's probably one of the better sledgehammer leverers in the country. Bob's focus is razor sharp, and when he gets a goal in his mind, he goes after it like a pit bull.

The ONLY reason I didn't put Dave in there was his bending - and you're right - it's coming up fast. One weak event is about all one can have and expect to "win" an overall contest - and it better not be all that weak. There's a lot of what if this one or that one show up and that's the fun of it, but it narrows down a lot if you go by who actually has been there and done it under contest conditions - it's a lot different than adding up your best gym lifts as a lot of guys have found out. It's going to be an interesting year - one mistake and you're dropped. I can't wait!

Based on last year's competitions, I'd say the following 5 guys are at the top in the US:

Jedd Johnson

Chad Woodall

Dave Morton

Dave Thorton

Ryan Klein

Based on events and location, I think Dave Thorton and Ryan Klein will be fighting it out for 1st and 2nd in the summer Michigan contest, regardless of who else shows up. The advantage of their experience competing at Larkin's gym will be too much for anyone else to overcome.

Clay hasn't been in a grip contest for a long time. I'd be suprised if he beat any of the 5 guys above in competition this year.