First Workout For Beginners

David Horne

Hi,

I've been through the post and can't find a picture or explanation of an overhand finger curl - could you please provide a brief explanation for a new starter?

Excellent info / post by the way, appreciated.

Grasp a barbell in an overhand grip, then lower it into your fingertips, and then crush it back up. Then do it again for reps.

David

I've been adding this routine to my split lately and it's really working. :rock

• 4 weeks later...

David, Great post and info for the "newb" I'm really glad I found this first otherwise I would have gone off on a tangent and done more damage than good.

I do have one question about the pinch lifts, the "plates" at the gym I go too do not have a smooth side what do you recommend in this situation?

Many thanks.

Maybe you could get some wooden discs cut to the size of these and take them to the gym, and put them on the outside of the discs.

David

Hi,

I'd like to follow this program at home - can anyone recommend weights / barbell equipment for this? I'm assuming a barbell with metal plates, 1.25, 2.5 and 5kg. The plastic weights at most high street stores are no good for this, and a weighted barbell could be used for the finger curls in place of an Olympic bar.

Thanks in advance

Cd_uk

Buy yourself some steel weights secondhand from the newspaper or ebay. If you get an olympic set they hold their money (so if you sell them later you will probably get your money back), and of course are better.

David

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this. really what i was looking for to point me in the right direction. I appreciate it. great post

• 1 month later...

Ok when I first started my grip training seriously this year I didnt think I would like pinching as much as I do now after finishing The beginner workout by David I love to pinch and I am almost to 5 10's pinched already so hopefully soon I will see that goal. Thanks for the much needed improvement David. Great program!!!

• 2 months later...

Well 2008 is coming to an end and here I am another newbie to grip strength. I am very impressed that David is actually still replying to the questions versus just letting us newbie's hack it up back and forth. A huge thanks for that David!!! I am weight training and have been at it for about 8 months now and my grip seems to be the limiting factor in my ability to move up. I have recently started cross hand grip and am able to pull more weight but still have problems with single hand DB exercises. Max lift DB row fails in grip, Deadlift fails in grip, and basically any other pulling as well as chin up and pull up. I actually had the wife get me some grippers for Christmas and planned on hitting some reps at work or basically at other times than when I'm weight training.

I am going to try to add a couple of your techniques to each training day and see how it goes so my one question is; Does it matter if you only do a couple every other day completing the entire routine in a week or am I giving something away?

Thanks David!!!

Tim

Edited by Active_8ed

• 2 weeks later...

Really like this thread, it's definitely giving me a starting ground for building the hand strength I want. It was really interesting to hear the dissent on the importance of grippers in the overall scheme of things. One question I didn't see answered was the one about MMA, what would be the best areas of grip to focus on? I was thinking of trying to build them all up evenly, without trying to do too much at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
There is a lot of sound advice in those post. If a newbie feels that this is not enough, or they should be ripping card decks right away, they do not have the patience, persistance, and sure won't have the strength to make it very far.

I don't have the patience for people who want to jump headlong into bending, grippers, and other "cooler", visual feats of gripping because it's no different from a child's facination with anything shiney: use the sense that God gave a mule for crying out loud.

To be honest sometimes its just eagerness, and as long as the person learns from it and gets stronger then for some it is just the tough way of learning.

Some of us just have to learn that the enthusiasm and drive that gets you far in other parts of life needs to be monitored when it comes to training.

Really like this thread, it's definitely giving me a starting ground for building the hand strength I want. It was really interesting to hear the dissent on the importance of grippers in the overall scheme of things. One question I didn't see answered was the one about MMA, what would be the best areas of grip to focus on? I was thinking of trying to build them all up evenly, without trying to do too much at the same time.

I remember asking this question way back when I started out on the GB and I remember the answering being "pinch" I believe. So blockweights and pinch grip would probably help the most. If you think about it when you are grappling with a guy (in a gi) its your fingers that are really grabbing onto the gi. No gi I would think blockweights would come more into play as you are grabbing onto a thicker piece of body, an arm, leg, ankle, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This workout looks great. The only problem I have is that at the gym I go to the plates don't have a flat side. There is a lip that goes all the way around. I tried to do it with pinching but the lip of the weight made it so that most of the weight was supported bewteen my thumb and index finger. Is there a way to use these types of weights more effectively? Thank you very much for your time and for the thread!

• 1 month later...

It's awesome to find a great resource such as this where people with years of experience are freely sharing their hard earned knowledge. I've been training with kettlebells and deadlifting for a while now and had a COC #1 for quite some time but after starting this routine I can tell that it's just what I needed. So many people talk about the injuries that come with grippers and bending that there is a real need for simple programs that beginners such as myself can just work quietly away at for a good period of time confident that we're building a solid foundation. This community rocks :rock

Stephen

• 4 weeks later...

thanks a lot for this!! I started right away on COC, but only for a couple of weeks! I will incorporate all this training in with my current training, and COC's once in a while.

appreciate this thread dave!

-Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi I'm new to the board and specific grip training as well. I've been training/competing in strongman for a few years now so I've done a lot of farmers walks, thick bar stuff and some other random stuff like pinch gripping and rolling thunder etc..BUT have never really followed a specialized routine for grip.

Anyway, I started following this routine this week and had a couple questions:

1. Should there be a break in period where you just do a medium workout a couple times before trying to increase your weights/reps or as long as you hit within the rep ranges try and improve each workout?

2. Is it preferred to go up in weight as long as you hit between 15-20 reps or do you think it's better to get all 20 on all 3 sets before going up in weight?

3. Do you prefer someone uses the same weight for all 3 sets or adjust the weight as needed to hit the 15-20 and go to exhaustion each set?

Thanks for the routine by the way it seems perfect to me.

-Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, I'm familiar with you and your workouts from Jesse's board. You're way beyond most people here in terms of strength and in grip strength in particular. Over the years I've figured out that each person has to find out what works best for them, even more so in your case as you're working your grip a lot in strongman training. A lot of specific grip training will probably just lead to joint and tendon problems (it did for me). Your strongman training will work your hands pretty good as it is.

• 3 weeks later...

very cool guys. Some of the older links are gone.

I'm new to this board and wanted to have better grip training. But just for fitness reasons... I cant hang with the CoC stuff.

Finger rolls look good.

So does the plate pinch.

any other stuff I can do at the gym with the normal weights available?