Hand Pain

Jager2

Hi,

Ive been using grippers for about 10 months now. A few weeks ago i started doing overcrushes, since my last workout the pinky and ring finger knuckles and the space between the pinky and ring finger hurt so bad i cant even close a #1 anymore.

The pain is the worst when releasing a gripper.

Has anyone else ever experienced this and what did you do about it?

istockphoto-1063879304-612x612.jpg

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Jager2 said:

Hi,

Ive been using grippers for about 10 months now. A few weeks ago i started doing overcrushes, since my last workout the pinky and ring finger knuckles and the space between the pinky and ring finger hurt so bad i cant even close a #1 anymore.

Hi, Yes I'm experiencing this right now. In fact 2 weeks ago after closing a Coc #2 110 RGC estimated level for 153 reps in one day I started to experience pain, tenderness in my right finger middle knuckle. It is tender and sore around the sides also. It hurts to close and release it when using a gripper like a Coc 1. I can still close a 1 and a 2 but for less reps. I also noticed that before that I could close a Coc 2.5 but am now like 9 mm away so there is a temporary strength loss too. 

I've been resting more and trying to keep away from using grippers much to allow recovery and rebuilding of the knuckle. Also I am taking vitamin c, Msm , and colagen powder in the morning. In the evening I take turmeric powder with some black pepper. This type of injury looks like it will take several weeks for me but I hope I will be even stronger than before. It appears that I overtrained and the weakest part of the hand gave out

Edited by alan_fra
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jager2 said:

Hi,

Hey, I recently just went through this exact situation, I trained only my good hand for a few weeks and rested the injured hand, once it started to improve I started doing very high reps on a light plastic spring gripper to get a bunch of blood in the hand to help facilitate healing. 

my suggestion is rest, don’t do anything to further irritate it, and don’t do anything to manipulate the natural inflammatory process (no ice, no heat, no anti inflammatory, no pain killers) just rest and once it starts to improve, start moving the hand lightly 

• Like 1

With that being said, majority of my pain was here

IMG_5753.jpeg

It's common to get these kind of injuries when starting with over crushes. Just rest and recover. It can take a while to get rid of, but you need to rest, if you keep training there a very big risk that the recovery will take a very long time, I'm talking months. So if you're lucky and rest properly it might take a month. If you train too hard too soon it can take much longer.

If it is down the back of your hand it is likely that your extensors are too weak relative to flexors. I have had this type of injury once before and it prevented any training for multiple weeks.

Use the extensor bands or rice bucket method and it will improve quite quickly.

If the issue is on the inside of the palm then you may have created a microfracture, trapped a nerve or anything inbetween (I am not a medic). That would need rest, and remember that if it is a tendon jnjury that these take longer to heal than muscular issues.

• Like 1

What they said, plus soak your hands in ice bucket. Avoid grippers for the time being and do other grip training for at least a month (don't forget what others have said here). Train your whole body too and especially the wrists and extensors. You should come back stronger.

On 5/21/2024 at 9:53 PM, Jager2 said:

Hi,

My buddy has the exact same pain. I would like to know more about this injury to help rehab it.

44 minutes ago, AllMight_ said:

My buddy has the exact same pain. I would like to know more about this injury to help rehab it.

As mentioned, pain down the back of the fingers is likely an imbalance between flexors and extensors. Get some extensor bands - dirt cheap on amazon - and do that exclusively in terms of hand training for a couple of weeks. Tendons take time to recover so don't force it back into flexor training immediately.

• Like 1

Had a lot of pain the first year and took it more calmly for longer sessions with lighter grippers. It took a long time before it got better but I trained all the time and now I'm never in pain no matter how much I drive.

The pain is gone but now there is a lot of popping around the knuckles when i close something.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2024 at 6:49 PM, Slipshod said:

As mentioned, pain down the back of the fingers is likely an imbalance between flexors and extensors. Get some extensor bands - dirt cheap on amazon - and do that exclusively in terms of hand training for a couple of weeks. Tendons take time to recover so don't force it back into flexor training immediately.

Any thoughts on reps & sets for these please ? 

56 minutes ago, SOCK BOY said:

Any thoughts on reps & sets for these please ? 

As with anything whatever feels comfortable. It needs to be enough to work your extensors, both the tendons and the muscles in the arm. 3x12 or so seems to be fine

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/05/2024 at 21:53, Jager2 said:

Salut,

J'utilise des pinces depuis environ 10 mois maintenant. Il y a quelques semaines, j'ai commencé à faire des overécrasements, depuis mon dernier entraînement, les jointures du petit doigt et de l'annulaire et l'espace entre le petit doigt et l'annulaire me faisaient tellement mal que je ne peux même plus fermer un n°1.

La douleur est la plus intense lorsqu'on relâche une pince.

Est-ce que quelqu'un d'autre a déjà vécu cela et qu'avez-vous fait pour y remédier ?

This post is long but I know it well, try with not a ball but a triangle in physio to make trigger points on your hands in specific places. I have training in each place the pain should not exceed 6 for 8 seconds and you release. There are several ligaments and muscles and you must align each place with patience... above the hands and below had on the external sides and between the thumb and the index finger there is always pressure and pain because the muscles are more irrigated and strong. ; sink put cold water and ice and leave your hands for 10 to 15 minutes then you will reheat it in hot water. Finally, if you have a cushion with lots of spikes like the Chinese, you put your hand on it with the same principle and the blood circulates. don't forget to take turmeric and ginger powder to remove inflammation and cleanse your system in general

• Like 1