Evil Russian Grip Tip

ghd56

While reading thru Pavel's newest book, "The Naked Warrior," he mentioned an interesting grip tip I'd like to share. He refers to it as "an accidental discharge of strength." And it works.

I quote.....

Your hands are 'connected' thru 'muscle software.' One hand imitates the other. A sudden effort with one hand willl cause a refllexive contraction of up to twenty percent of that intensity in the muscles of the other.

This phenomenon of interlimb response puts fear into the hearts of firearms instructors the world over. They warn against placing your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot. If you keep your finger on the trigger, any movement with your other hand----for instance, turning on a flashlight or opening a door-----could make your gun go off, due to this squeeze response.

What can land a cop in trouble can help you in your strength training.

So whether you're working with grippers, thick bar..........whatever....when you hit the sticking point with say, your right hand.......make a hard fist with your left hand at the same time. This will fire the gripping muscles and increase your strength. Guaranteed.

John DiStano

Ummm, Interesting!

Sixgun

Very true as we have seen this in our training

If you can't get a grip lift with your right hand, try it by squeezing a #3 in the left hand. The contraction will be stronger in your right hand.

I think this is the most usefull info I've gotten off the board in a few months. :)

This phenomenon of interlimb response puts fear into the hearts of firearms instructors the world over. They warn against placing your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot. If you keep your finger on the trigger, any movement with your other hand----for instance, turning on a flashlight or opening a door-----could make your gun go off, due to this squeeze response.

What can land a cop in trouble can help you in your strength training.

At least one cop has been sued for an accidental discharge due to this phenomenon. He was handcuffing a suspect and shot the suspect in the back. As the cop snapped the handcuffs closed with one hand, his other hand reflexively flexed, pulling back on the trigger of his firearm which was pointed at the suspect.

Due to ignorance and carelessness, this officer negligently crippled an individual. Had basic rules of firearm safety been followed, the officer and his department would not have had to pay out a settlement to the individual in question.

is the "Naked Warrior" book good? I wanted to buy it

I am just starting to use pistols in my workout regime, and am re-reading the Naked Warrior because of it.

Here's the thing, it's not a book that teaches you how to work out. It's all techniques and minor "nudgy" stuff that gets explained through the two exercises detailed in the book (pistols and one armed pushups.) It all comes down to tension and "muscle software", I'm too new to grip stuff to really say whether it will help with grip training, but as an all around Physical culture book to have, I'd say it's worth the money.

I whole-heartedly believe in using this technique in training.

-Jedd-

This would be a good topic to mention this. In Pavels book Super Joints, he talks about how contraction of a muscle on one side of the body will cause and increase in tension in the antagonist of the muscle on the opposite side. This is pretty useful and will work for gripper but it can be very helpful for dumbell curls. I would say use either of these tatics according to how you will best be able to imitate the movement, or the opposite of the movement in the case of this.

A prime example of this is David Erives' two finger blob lift in the video gallery. I believe its in the northridge grip fest section.

• 2 months later...

Guys. If you aren't already practicing this technique or have forgotten about it, make it a point to practice it. I have been making some real good gains recently doing this and will continue to do so!

The swedes are excited!

I will also give it a go.

I have pavels other book... eeh... whatever it was called, which has some other tips, like tensing the whole body for a synergestic strength increase, aswell as gripping the bar as hard as you can in say, presses. Works ok, but nothing spectacular.

haha, this won't produce HYOOGE results but it might help you get another 1/8" or 1/16" on the grippers

The swedes are excited!

That was before testing...

I tried it a few times but didn't notice any difference.

//Jim

haha, this won't produce HYOOGE results but it might help you get another 1/8" or 1/16" on the grippers

Thats all my left hand needs to close my HG300 so I wolud bee happy if it worked. I was supposed to try it during my last workout but I forgot :blush .

According to Charles Poliquin, working the opposite muscle on the opposite side of the body will produce a stronger contraction in the desired muscle. His example was, doing 1 arm curls for your right arm. As the weight comes up with the dumbbell in your right, have a cable in the left and start pressing down in the tricep pressdown. Use a sub-normal workout weight for the pushdown and use your normal workout weight for the right. See what happens. You then switch it up for a full set obviously. Relation to grip? Put some rubber bands around your left hand and as you squeeze a gripper in the right try to open the left hand (extensors). Even if it didn't help, we all need more extensor work anyways :)

Edit

To make it more clear, hopefully, biceps vs triceps, hams vs quads, lats vs pecs, crush vs open. etc. Use one on one side of the body and use the other on the other side. Should increase the contraction in the desired. Many, I suck at explainining things. :)

Edited by MikeP