Bending Calibration Question

EricMilfeld

For anyone who's calibrating their steel, and David Horne in particular, I've considered what could be an overlooked factor affecting the results when calibrating stock of different lengths. When using Tom Black's method, regardless of the angle to which the steel is bent, do you always place your innermost fingers up against the loading pin's ring, or do you position them away from the ring when using longer stock? I'm thinking if you always place your fingers up tight towards the center of the nail to acquire all your results, then a longer piece of steel would register a result of a misleading high poundage, when you consider that when you actually go to bend the longer steel your hands could be placed more towards the end of the bar. Of course you don't have this option of moving your hands out to increase leverage with the shorter bars. Maybe the ring fingers could always be placed on the end of the bar, for example, to yield more consistent results, in terms of calibrating how difficult a bar is to bend by hand. And as long as the same pair of hands are used to do the testing, the results should come out fairly consistent, provided the bar is long enough to reach the ring fingers. Sorry if this has already been addressed.

Eric,

I always have my hands in the same place, which is at the ends of the bar. In fact in the same position that I would hold when actually bending.

David

Thanks David. I should have known you'd be a couple of steps ahead of me.

• 3 weeks later...

This has probably been answered somewhere before, but:

To what angle to you bend your bars during calibration? I am planning to calibrate my smaller nails.

for ex, if you say a blue nail is 170kg, what is the angle of the blue nail when you load it with 170kg? does it just start to bend or is it already 25° through?

thanks

david

David Horne bends his nails to 80 degrees, starting with a straight nail.

No wonder he says it's a great grip workout, simply calibrating the nails. :whacked

David,

I'm sure I answered this earlier but my reply doesn't seem to be here. Anyway, I've checked. I bend them to 70 degrees actually, my mistake.

Also the diameter of the ring handle bar is 15mm.

David

Hand calibrating very many bars over 200+K at one time must be a workout in itself.

Thanks David.

because I could probably not deadlift a nail above 200k, I calibrated a nail between 105 and 110kg and bent two of these together!

weak makes smart!! ;)

David,

Don't add the 2 figures. It just doesn't work like that.

I calibrated a B&Q nail at 160k, and also tested two of these nails taped together and the poundage was 230k. A gain of 70k for a second nail. So it definitely isn't 160+160, otherwise that would be 320. I think the figure for your two nails would be more like 155k. Test it.

Hope this helps

David

ok thanks David.

I can't figure out why it doesn't add up, but I trust your calibrating experience. I guess weak DOESN't make smart after all :(

I am suprised though as I can easily bend a blue nail with some cut off, and this was much MUCH harder.

I will check that

Anyway I was very glad with the bend, as I had only kinked these 2 nails together about 5mm or so, and the bend was a tremendous battle.

david

ps: I used a narrow carabiner to load my nails. maybe that makes a difference? I will try to find something 15mm wide

Edited by the swiss

David,

You're smart enough to be asking questions.

Just test the two bars taped together and see what it comes out at. That's the best way.

Also two nails are a tougher object to bend in your hands than one bar at the same poundage.

David

ok I tested my two bars with a 8mm ring.

at 188kg, they bent about 1.5cm, ie approx 10-15 degrees.

so that would make them about 195kg or something.

reassuring!