What Is Considered A Normal Spread On A Coc?

Jared Goguen

For the first time I started to compare the spread on my grippers and compare what I have for ratings to others and my CoC2.5 which is a big goal for me I noticed is pretty much about as hard as they come at 131lbs and the the spread on it is 3" which is wider then all my other CoC's and more in line with my GHP grippers which I don't really care for all that much because of the spread. So what should the spread on a CoC be?

For comparison.

iaKUCCH.jpg

3" isn't "outlier" wide for a COC gripper. Not by a long shot. 2.75" to 3 and 1/8" is the range I used to see when I was RGC rating tons of grippers a few years back. But I've seen as narrow as 2 and 5/8" and as wide as 3 and 5/16" along the way. Those are outliers though.

• Like 1

3" isn't "outlier" wide for a COC gripper. Not by a long shot. 2.75" to 3 and 1/8" is the range I used to see when I was RGC rating tons of grippers a few years back. But I've seen as narrow as 2 and 5/8" and as wide as 3 and 5/16" along the way. Those are outliers though.

Thanks for letting me know.

Cannon lists 131 as the highest 2.5 he's rated, so yours is definitely on the hard side. I have a 130 & a 124. The difference is pronounced. Never measured the spread.

Cannon lists 131 as the highest 2.5 he's rated, so yours is definitely on the hard side. I have a 130 & a 124. The difference is pronounced. Never measured the spread.

hi Mike, Dave here, Ireland, does the size of your hand not have a bearing on the spread of any gripper? no matter the brand or make of gripper? not being sexist, but men generally have bigger palms. but , i suppose if you follow Randall's guidelines , then a credit card makes us all equal. that's part one. part 2 = i tried to start a new thread on here, but i'm usless with a laptop. topic is = folk at 50 years of age, can they improve in the gripper department?? i was 50 yesterday, 31'st December. anyway, Happy New Year to all here.

I have measured some spreads:

CoC #1, 67mm

CoC#1.5, 69mm

CoC#2, 73mm

CoC#2 single stamp, 74mm

CoC#3 (about same vintage as the single stamp #2), 77mm

LT2, 74mm

LT3, 77mm

3inches = 76.2mm

• 4 months later...

How do you measure the spread on a gripper? More specifically, what are the reference points?

How do you measure the spread on a gripper? More specifically, what are the reference points?

Inside the handles, basically straight across bevel to bevel at the point where the handles touch.

Ben's post really nailed this on the head.

One thing I can also say for certain from rating grippers is that a wider spread correlates to a harder rating. If you're arranging grippers by sight, I think spread is a better indicator than mount, even though a shallow mount would mean an increased spread.

I'm rarely suprised by a rating based on my impressions from the spread. But I've seen deep mounted grippers that had light ratings and found myself thinking "boy, that's odd."

• Like 1

I started using a gripper that I "won" at a contest of Daniel's from about 2 years ago. It's a Number 3 with a spread as wide as a 158/159 bear of a Number 3 that I failed to Certify on back in 2010. Cannon rated the 2010 gripper I missed. The recent one that I "won" is probably low 150's. It starts off every bit as tough as the 158/159, but the final close is not that bad. Sometimes you can't let the "spread" scare you.

Just measure all of mine, I didn't realise there were differences in the spread??

#1 - 69mm

#1.5 - hard to say cos its filed but looks a few mm wider than the #1 from looking at the outsides together

#2 - 72mm

#2.5 - 70mm

#3 - 73mm

GHP5 - 74mm

GHP6 - 75mm

Just measure all of mine, I didn't realise there were differences in the spread??

#1 - 69mm

#1.5 - hard to say cos its filed but looks a few mm wider than the #1 from looking at the outsides together

#2 - 72mm

#2.5 - 70mm

#3 - 73mm

GHP5 - 74mm

GHP6 - 75mm

Those are really consistent.