310 Lb. Farmer's Holds - 1.25" Handles

EricMilfeld

Rex has turned me onto these Farmer's holds. Tonight was my second workout with the implements. I went first and managed about 39 seconds with Rex holding on for 35. I have a powerlifting meet in November, but after that I look forward to hitting these hard to see what kind of time I can post.

Me:

Rex: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DXVMjfNazE

For the record, they're 310 per hand, not 320. I think Eric took some cheque drops while I wasn't looking. I briefly considered the explanation that his support grip is better than mine, but that thought fluttered away as quickly as it came.

I'm shooting for 40 seconds when I try this again in six days.

-Rex

For the record, they're 310 per hand, not 320. I think Eric took some cheque drops while I wasn't looking. I briefly considered the explanation that his support grip is better than mine, but that thought fluttered away as quickly as it came.

I'm shooting for 40 seconds when I try this again in six days.

-Rex

:laugh

Okay, I fixed the weight. But it felt like 320.

Good work guys.

A mate of mine had this event in a strongman comp - 300# farmers with 2'' slick handles. He got 34 seconds for the win. Tough event. It's strange - his grip is average (can just about close a #2, very poor on rolling thunder etc...) yet he is better at holding onto farmers than i am.

That is great Eric. Damn, you are in good shape.

If you aren't pulling heavy Sam (I know you press good- Don't know the rest of your lifts), having a heavier weight in your hands than you normally lift can mess you up. I mean, any guy pulling 700+ deads and 400+chins/rows (just for example) is just gonna be ready to handle those weights easy. If your strength isn't up there, the weights pull your shoulders down and open your hands right up. Not talking down to you if you know this shit Sam, just been thinking about this a little today.

In most grip tests I am much better than I was when I was seriously into powerlifting, but I know then if I handled 700 in the rack it was no big deal but now it makes me wanna crap my pants.

Bob, maybe you've explained this before but apparently I've forgotten: Aren't you supposed to start with your shoulders down on DL (I assume to put you closer to the bar)? I was told stick out your belly against the belt, and flex the lats hard on the set-up (sumo). This seems to draw my shoulders down anyway? Maybe that's what I'm thinking.

Yeah Josh, your shoulders stay down but if your traps are too weak it you can't keep any tightness in your upper back. I hope I am making some sense. If your traps are weak the weight will seem too much for your upper back/shoulders and you won't hold onto it.

Jeez ... Eric steppin up to the plate representing! ..... that was like you holding a Rex in each hand ... Wow!

Yeah Josh, your shoulders stay down but if your traps are too weak it you can't keep any tightness in your upper back. I hope I am making some sense. If your traps are weak the weight will seem too much for your upper back/shoulders and you won't hold onto it.

Got it, thanks Bob.

If you aren't pulling heavy Sam (I know you press good- Don't know the rest of your lifts), having a heavier weight in your hands than you normally lift can mess you up. I mean, any guy pulling 700+ deads and 400+chins/rows (just for example) is just gonna be ready to handle those weights easy. If your strength isn't up there, the weights pull your shoulders down and open your hands right up. Not talking down to you if you know this shit Sam, just been thinking about this a little today.

I haven't pulled heavy much this year Bob. 4 deadlift sessions. I train rows etc... most weeks though so i am used to having weight in the hands. A few years ago when i was much more into strongman events i used to be able to grip anything that i can pick up i.e. body strength not grip was always the limiting factor for me with farmers. This is strange because i am a bigger guy (295lbs) so you'd think it would be the other way round. I am an ok presser/squatter but i've never been any good at lifting things off the floor. No worries buddy, i never thought you were talking down to me it's all good!

I haven't pulled heavy much this year Bob. 4 deadlift sessions. I train rows etc... most weeks though so i am used to having weight in the hands. A few years ago when i was much more into strongman events i used to be able to grip anything that i can pick up i.e. body strength not grip was always the limiting factor for me with farmers. This is strange because i am a bigger guy (295lbs) so you'd think it would be the other way round. I am an ok presser/squatter but i've never been any good at lifting things off the floor. No worries buddy, i never thought you were talking down to me it's all good!

Yeah, it's not like you've ever pulled high-500s or something.

Newb.

Yes he is. I train with Brad and the other guys from team Boss here In Columbus. He is going for his pro card this weekend at the NAS nationals. He will be at Gripmas this year as well. I think he was at gripmas 2 years ago. He is strongman on the board. Here is more for ya. http://www.youtube.com/user/rickfreitag#p/u/23/kO1Y0WvGJyA

Edited by nickr104

Yes he is. I train with Brad and the other guys from team Boss here In Columbus. He is going for his pro card this weekend at the NAS nationals. He will be at Gripmas this year as well. I think he was at gripmas 2 years ago. He is strongman on the board. Here is more for ya. http://www.youtube.com/user/rickfreitag#p/u/23/kO1Y0WvGJyA

I noticed he had a double blob video too. That should have been a dead giveaway.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

I heard tell he'd be at Gripmas! What about some of the other guys from Cbus? That group has some seriously strong guys.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Yeah, I remember him from Gripmas 2007. Besides being incredibly strong, he's using the coolest looking farmer's I've ever seen.

Guys,thats strong stuff.Do you use hook grip or just plain overhand?

No hook just strait grip. The farmers were made by slaters hardware. The guys that make the stone molds and not only are they the coolest looking they are very hard to pull on because they are so wide and the handle is in the middle. You almost have to tilt them and slide them up your legs. I have done 300 a hand on them before and the pick up about kills me before I even try and move or do a hold. Take a look at his stone videos http://farmstrength.wordpress.com/ third one down on our blog. This was the 6th event they did that day. These are close to the same weight for the stones they will have at nationals. I shake my head every time I watch him do this stuff. I am still working on loading the 330 stone. :whacked