Homemade Inch Type Db Replica

Incindium

Here is my own homemade Inch DB Replica that my dad welded up for me for Xmas. It's pretty much the same as the Large Gracie Bell that Weldon (dubwonderscot) made. Weldon made the 5" long 2.38" diameter handle and the Steel Balls were originally a pair of 40k Kettlebells that I had gotten cheap off of ebay a couple years back. My dad cut the KB handles off and welded the DB handle to the two balls and below is the result. I haven't weighed it yet but it should be in the 182-185lb range. The only bad thing is that I had gallbladder surgery last week and won't be able to even play with it until I've fully recovered in a few weeks.

Image 1 Link

Image 2 Link

Image 3 Link

Image 4 Link

Edited by Incindium

WOW! That turned out really nice Jesse! What was the brand on those KB's again?

The KB's were from the same seller and item as this expired auction. However when I bought mine they weren't powder coated. The seller seems to put one or two of them up for auction every month or two.

It looks like Torque Athletic is selling KB's sets that are the same thing Here. I wonder if they have a source for the steel ball bearings or just had lot that was all turned into KB's.

Edited by Incindium

The KB's were from the same seller and item as this expired auction. However when I bought mine they weren't powder coated. The seller seems to put one or two of them up for auction every month or two.

It looks like Torque Athletic is selling KB's sets that are the same thing Here. I wonder if they have a source for the steel ball bearings or just had lot that was all turned into KB's.

way too expensive for their KB's, for a pair of 75's its $350 :blink is that what KB's normally run????!

way too expensive for their KB's, for a pair of 75's its $350 :blink is that what KB's normally run????!

That is a pretty damn high price for a 75. I think DD sells their 106 for 275 or so(still crazy high). But steel prices are really high right now. I had someone ask me for a quote for one of my inches that I sold in the past for 190, the new price would be well over twice that even if I did all the work.

When they show up on Ebay like in the expired auction I posted you can get them for around $100-150 a KB shipped. I'd contact Torque Athletic and see if they have any of just the steel balls for sale or if they'd be willing to make a deal on the big KB's.

Edited by Incindium

Maybe you and Chris Mathison could agree on the name since you two will have basically the same DB it would standardize that size of bell. Just an idea.

Especially if we were able to come up with a source of those size ball bearings then it would be nice to have one name.

I'm just sayin...lol

Ok I weighed it on a digital bathroom scale today that I use to weight my plates on and it weighed in at 170 and change. I was a bit surprised because I thought was going to weigh in the same as the Big Gracie bell that Weldon made since it has the same handle and the steel balls looked to be the same ones. I guess they must be slightly smaller sized steel balls. The KB handles that were cut off must have weighed more than I thought. Anyway this puts the Dumbbell at just a couple pounds shy of the Inch DB which is fine with me. I'm going to investigate my options for getting an accurate weight on the dumbbell.

I also need suggestions for what kind of paint I should get to paint the globes and possibly for the handle as well although I think I may just leave the handle bare steel and just wire brush and chalk it up as needed.

Ok I weighed it on a digital bathroom scale today that I use to weight my plates on and it weighed in at 170 and change. I was a bit surprised because I thought was going to weigh in the same as the Big Gracie bell that Weldon made since it has the same handle and the steel balls looked to be the same ones. I guess they must be slightly smaller sized steel balls. The KB handles that were cut off must have weighed more than I thought. Anyway this puts the Dumbbell at just a couple pounds shy of the Inch DB which is fine with me. I'm going to investigate my options for getting an accurate weight on the dumbbell.

I also need suggestions for what kind of paint I should get to paint the globes and possibly for the handle as well although I think I may just leave the handle bare steel and just wire brush and chalk it up as needed.

Ideas for calibrated scales

Post Office but I'm not sure their scales go to 170#+

Grocery stores have calibrated meat scales - again not sure of the upper limit.

Many different industries have certified scales - some of which go up into tons.

Wrestling scales - I would have never dreamed it but my local HS has scales they keep calibrated - I'm not sure why - perhaps a contract of some kind?

I have no idea about this but maybe ask the state patrol where you live about truck scales - I'll bet they are certified but may not go low enough to be of any use to you. Might be worth a phone call anyway.

What about Fed Ex and UPS etc where they accept packages - again I don't know.

Just some thoughts.

that has me wondering, Chris, think you could weigh that bell of Chris's?

I weighed those globes on a huge scale at the scrap yard, and Jesse now has me wondering since I never weighed the full bell. (didn't have a scale at the house at that time)

thanks

that has me wondering, Chris, think you could weigh that bell of Chris's?

I weighed those globes on a huge scale at the scrap yard, and Jesse now has me wondering since I never weighed the full bell. (didn't have a scale at the house at that time)

thanks

I'll get it and Gracie both weighed up. I did Gracie on the bathroom scale at 146# - we'll see what it comes out.

Edited by climber511

Thanks for the ideas on getting it weighed Chris. I'll check out some of the post offices in the area and see if they have a suitable scale first and go from there.

Ok so I got the OK from my Doctor to be able to lift again so I was able to play with my new dumbbell for the first time. I weighted it again on the digital bathroom scale this time using a board so I could have it sitting flat on the scale with the weight distributed evenly. So it looks like I'll call the dumbbell 168lbs in weight until I'm able to get a more precise measurement.

When I tried to lift it for the first time the best I could do was lift one globe off the ground and have it spin out of my hand before the second globe made it totally off the ground.

I was able to cheat lift it a bit by using the off hand to stop the rotation.

Cheat Lifting my DB

Edited by Incindium

I bought some monster mini bands and trot line to deload my inch trainer with and it works pretty well

Nice work Jesse!!!

a postal GMF facility definately has calabrated scales that will handle that weight you just have to ask, i used to work at the one in pittsburgh pa anyway nice job