The Hybrid Competitiion

EricMilfeld

The Hybrid Comp

Location: 8105 Beck Rd. Ottawa Lake, MI 49267 (All the online driving directions will lead to to the golf course which is just next to our property, there will be a sign on our property for the comp so you wont miss it)

Date: July 25th, 2009

Start time: 10am(you can show up as early as 9ish if you like, that would make it easier to get all the weigh-ins down on paper)

Entry fee is $25 with food and cheap beer available afterwards

Make checks payable to:

Zach Coulter

1199 Mapleway Dr.

Temperance, MI 48182

The events in order are:

Grippers in Chokers- I hope to have calibrated grippers with at least 5lb jumps between, so far Bob Lipinski and Brent Barbe have pledged their sets(Thanks guys!!!)

Weighted Pullups for max added weight- This will be considered a perfect legal lift: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rTgtSXFSTyo Athlete with the biggest ADDED weight wins.

2HP- Normal rules apply

Axle Clean and Jerk/Press for MAX weight- The clean must be ONE MOTION, no continentals, and done with a DOUBLE OVERHAND GRIP. Just put it overhead however you can. Work those olympic lifts boys.

Medley- Yet to be set up, but I have a twisted mind and plenty of stuff to put together... devil.gif

THERE WILL BE WEIGHT CLASSES AT THIS EVENT! The dividing line will be 94kg or 207lbs. Weigh-ins before the comp when you arrive.

Grippers in Chokers will be contested the same way as in other contests. The gripper will be preset to parallel and will be measured with calipers to ensure it is exactly parallel. You can move the gripper around as much as you like but your free hand must be away and not touching the closing arm in any way during the close.

For the pullups, I will only require your chin to touch the bar. You must start from a dead hang and I have decided to lax the rules I stated earlier. Just start from a dead hang and touch your chin to the bar. A beautiful, strict pullup is not required. As said before, I will allow any width grip so long as the competitor's palms are turned away from the body. I don't care what you do during the lift, swing around, hula, do the bycicle, sing acapella, whatever, just start from a dead hang and touch your chin to the bar.

2HP, will be the actual device. We just may end up using Thornton or Lipinski's setup for this.

The Axle Clean and Jerk/Press will basically be the same as it would be at any strongman comp. The only stipulations are that the Axle Clean be done in one motion with double overhand grip. NO CONTINENTAL CLEANS. Do whatever it is you can to get that weight overhead. Strict press it, Full split jerk, squat jerk, push press, one arm at a time, 1 minute lockouts, whatever, so long as you lockout the weight overhead, the lift will be good. Work those olympic lifts and you should do well. WORK ON PERFORMING A FULL JERK!

As said above, the medley will consist of several objects. I plan to have a thumbless RT lift thrown in but that is the extent of the thickbar lifting since there are 2 thickbar events in the contest already. This will be setup the same as the MGC6 medley. That means there will be 3 platform heights, each worth 1, 2 and 3 points. The highest worth 3. No Kazmaier rule, just lift the objects to the platforms in the time limit(to be determined). Yes guys, expect to see a good size plywood lift in there as well.

Prizes to be determined.

The link to the pull ups doesn't work

The link to the pull ups doesn't work

I corrected the link in the first post.

• 3 months later...

I'm going to change the gripper event around a bit. No chokers, just parallel set or wider. After putting 3 of my grippers in chokers this past week and attempting to put another one in a choker, I've decided I don't want to do that with 15-20 more grippers :whacked So, thanks to my laziness, parallel set or wider will be contested.

just open the choker really wide, put the gripper in, then lean on it while you tighten with a socket wrench. easy peasy.

Edited by barbe705

just open the choker really wide, put the gripper in, then lean on it while you tighten with a socket wrench. easy peasy.

That's what I was doing except with a screwdriver.

• 4 weeks later...

I have never gotten into any grip or strength competitions and am thinking of doing this one just for the hell of it. Anyone explain to me what the 2HP is?

thanks,

I have never gotten into any grip or strength competitions and am thinking of doing this one just for the hell of it. Anyone explain to me what the 2HP is?

thanks,

We'd love to have you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EskR6LiGYZU...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VedJagCF_3Q...feature=related

The last guy is using 2 45's clamped together, the rest are using a competition specific setup that is adjustable for different handsizes. We will be using the competition setup at this comp. The apparatus is lifted until the bar touches or passes a bar set at 16.5". No drops allowed.

Cool i'll have to check the vids out when I get home. I was into strength training during high school and first couple years of college for football mostly and then got out of it for a few years. Got back in recently and also started dabbling with gripper work last year a little.

I was using Heavy Grips and just got Captain of Crush #2 and 2.5 recently.

Here are some of my stats. Let me know if you think I'll get laughed at . LOL

Grippers

C of C #2-- 12 reps stronghand 6 reps weakhand

C of C #2.5--6 reps strong 3 reps weak

I do clean and jerks once a weak usually for 5 sets of 5 with about 135lbs right now

I have just started pinch grip work and can do several reps with 1 handed using 2 olympic 25lb plates smooth side out. And can also do a few reps with 45s smooth side out with 2 handed pinch grip.

Have never done any true Strongman training with thick bars or farmers walk, stones, etc.

Just got back into doing pullups and weighted dips again after a few years hiatus.

I'm 27 6'0 and about 200lbs give or take 10lbs on any given week

Cool i'll have to check the vids out when I get home. I was into strength training during high school and first couple years of college for football mostly and then got out of it for a few years. Got back in recently and also started dabbling with gripper work last year a little.

I was using Heavy Grips and just got Captain of Crush #2 and 2.5 recently.

Here are some of my stats. Let me know if you think I'll get laughed at . LOL

Grippers

C of C #2-- 12 reps stronghand 6 reps weakhand

C of C #2.5--6 reps strong 3 reps weak

I do clean and jerks once a weak usually for 5 sets of 5 with about 135lbs right now

I have just started pinch grip work and can do several reps with 1 handed using 2 olympic 25lb plates smooth side out. And can also do a few reps with 45s smooth side out with 2 handed pinch grip.

Have never done any true Strongman training with thick bars or farmers walk, stones, etc.

Just got back into doing pullups and weighted dips again after a few years hiatus.

I'm 27 6'0 and about 200lbs give or take 10lbs on any given week

Looks to me like you'll do just fine. Most first-timers have trouble with the #2, doesn't look like that'll be the case with you! The pinch is better than average it seems as well ;)

If i'm free that weekend i'll be signing up and getting to work to get more prepared!

thanks,

We'd love to have you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EskR6LiGYZU...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VedJagCF_3Q...feature=related

The last guy is using 2 45's clamped together, the rest are using a competition specific setup that is adjustable for different handsizes. We will be using the competition setup at this comp. The apparatus is lifted until the bar touches or passes a bar set at 16.5". No drops allowed.

QUick question. Since I dont have once of these setups All i can really do is work pinch grip with my 2 45s smooth side out . I don't use chalk or clamps or anything just put two together , pinch and dead. How much easier is it having the device with the bar and chalk?

QUick question. Since I dont have once of these setups All i can really do is work pinch grip with my 2 45s smooth side out . I don't use chalk or clamps or anything just put two together , pinch and dead. How much easier is it having the device with the bar and chalk?

You can lift way more on the actual device than you can on 2 45's. 2 45's is good training though.

You can lift way more on the actual device than you can on 2 45's. 2 45's is good training though.

Can you buy the 2hp device anywhere or is there an easy way to make one?

Can you buy the 2hp device anywhere or is there an easy way to make one?

If you have access to a well-equipped machine shop, I see no reason you couldn't have one made. However, if you contact Scott George ("madss" on here), he sells them in the states and they are official setups exactly like the ones you will see in competitions.

The Hybrid Comp

Location: 8105 Beck Rd. Ottawa Lake, MI 49267 (All the online driving directions will lead to to the golf course which is just next to our property, there will be a sign on our property for the comp so you wont miss it)

Date: July 25th, 2009

Start time: 10am(you can show up as early as 9ish if you like, that would make it easier to get all the weigh-ins down on paper)

Entry fee is $25 with food and cheap beer available afterwards

Make checks payable to:

Zach Coulter

1199 Mapleway Dr.

Temperance, MI 48182

The events in order are:

Grippers in Chokers- I hope to have calibrated grippers with at least 5lb jumps between, so far Bob Lipinski and Brent Barbe have pledged their sets(Thanks guys!!!)

Weighted Pullups for max added weight- This will be considered a perfect legal lift: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rTgtSXFSTyo Athlete with the biggest ADDED weight wins.

2HP- Normal rules apply

Axle Clean and Jerk/Press for MAX weight- The clean must be ONE MOTION, no continentals, and done with a DOUBLE OVERHAND GRIP. Just put it overhead however you can. Work those olympic lifts boys.

Medley- Yet to be set up, but I have a twisted mind and plenty of stuff to put together... devil.gif

THERE WILL BE WEIGHT CLASSES AT THIS EVENT! The dividing line will be 94kg or 207lbs. Weigh-ins before the comp when you arrive.

Grippers in Chokers will be contested the same way as in other contests. The gripper will be preset to parallel and will be measured with calipers to ensure it is exactly parallel. You can move the gripper around as much as you like but your free hand must be away and not touching the closing arm in any way during the close.

For the pullups, I will only require your chin to touch the bar. You must start from a dead hang and I have decided to lax the rules I stated earlier. Just start from a dead hang and touch your chin to the bar. A beautiful, strict pullup is not required. As said before, I will allow any width grip so long as the competitor's palms are turned away from the body. I don't care what you do during the lift, swing around, hula, do the bycicle, sing acapella, whatever, just start from a dead hang and touch your chin to the bar.

2HP, will be the actual device. We just may end up using Thornton or Lipinski's setup for this.

The Axle Clean and Jerk/Press will basically be the same as it would be at any strongman comp. The only stipulations are that the Axle Clean be done in one motion with double overhand grip. NO CONTINENTAL CLEANS. Do whatever it is you can to get that weight overhead. Strict press it, Full split jerk, squat jerk, push press, one arm at a time, 1 minute lockouts, whatever, so long as you lockout the weight overhead, the lift will be good. Work those olympic lifts and you should do well. WORK ON PERFORMING A FULL JERK!

As said above, the medley will consist of several objects. I plan to have a thumbless RT lift thrown in but that is the extent of the thickbar lifting since there are 2 thickbar events in the contest already. This will be setup the same as the MGC6 medley. That means there will be 3 platform heights, each worth 1, 2 and 3 points. The highest worth 3. No Kazmaier rule, just lift the objects to the platforms in the time limit(to be determined). Yes guys, expect to see a good size plywood lift in there as well.

Prizes to be determined.

Any idea how many peeps will be in for this?

I just realized that the Hybrid Competition is the same day as my cousins wedding, and I'm standing in the wedding. Gonna have to shoot for the next one I guess :angry:

• 2 months later...

I'd like to announce 2 new sponsors,

John Beatty at FBBC!!!

Jedd and the Diesel Crew!!!

You still want me to lend you that beautifully unseasoned axle? Then I'll be a sponsor and you can say thanks to our sponsor Super Awesomer Fantastico Teh Browsh Enterprises Inked.

You still want me to lend you that beautifully unseasoned axle? Then I'll be a sponsor and you can say thanks to our sponsor Super Awesomer Fantastico Teh Browsh Enterprises Inked.

Why, of course! You wouldn't happen to have tires for that axle would you?

Why, of course! You wouldn't happen to have tires for that axle would you?

Negative.