Gripper Seasoning

gripmaniac

Yes I have never seen a quality brand gripper season more than 1/8''. Foot stomping will wreck any gripper.

I actually chose to buy a #3 to have a #3 not to have a BBE+.....what does it say about a gripper if it seasons almost 0.5" and goes from being more difficult than BBE to being avg.....definitely much harder than BBGM .....but not insane...

For me a #3 was to be between my BBGM and BBE....but it was insane out of the package....3.25" spread...not something I want in my #3...if i wanted a gripper this hard I would have bought another BBE or BBSE....when it seasoned down to right around 2.75" it became what it should be....it's a tough gripper still....

I do not believe that a good gripper, RB, IM, Tetting would season .5" with regular use, I doubt that they would drop down anymore than 1/8". What it says about a gripper that season 1/2" is either it is a shit spring, or someone has worked it over so they can close it.

I train with chokers and I oil my grippers, neither of those will permantly impact the strength of the gripper. I always take my grippers out of chokers, I have no idea of it would weaken one, but I take them out anyways..

My New 2006 Gr8 #3 went from 3.25" to 3" with normal use. But 1/2" seems pretty excessive.

Aaron

I highly doubt your #3 was harder than a E.

What I meant was 3.25 inch spread to 3 inch spread. I don't know how it was when new compared to an elite but when after seasoned when I was able to close it for singles I got a new elite down to 3/8"

- Aaron

Foot stomping will wreck any gripper

How is that? I used a little metal holder I made and used foot pressure to do 50 reps on my BBSM & BBE when I first got them. NO stomping, just 50 closes in groups of 10, letting the spring cool down, then 10 more. Spread on each narrowed maybe 1/8" at most, more like 1/16" as these are high quality grippers.

Seasoning a gripper is NO different than doing reps during your normal workout, only the gripper takes a set faster. Seasoning will accomplish that in a matter of minutes were as doing x amount of reps with a new gripper might take a few weeks or longer, but it's all the same in the end, so why the hate :D

I prefer to know right away that any progress I make is me getting stronger and NOT the gripper breaking in or getting weaker. I seasoned my BBSM and the next day made an attempt to close it and got to 3/8", so that is my reference point. It did season down about 1/8", so if I did NOT season it, I would have only gotten it to 1/2". Then over the next several weeks it would season from normal use and I'd get it down to 3/8" ,but did I really get stronger, NO. That's why "I" choose to season new grippers....

You guys kill me with your "holier than thou because I don't season" attitude.... :tongue

I actually chose to buy a #3 to have a #3 not to have a BBE+.....what does it say about a gripper if it seasons almost 0.5" and goes from being more difficult than BBE to being avg.....definitely much harder than BBGM .....but not insane...

For me a #3 was to be between my BBGM and BBE....but it was insane out of the package....3.25" spread...not something I want in my #3...if i wanted a gripper this hard I would have bought another BBE or BBSE....when it seasoned down to right around 2.75" it became what it should be....it's a tough gripper still....

Here is my problem with what you say here: "I actually chose to buy a #3 to have a #3 not to have a BBE+....."

What you got WAS a #3. What you got was within the normal range of #3s. What you did is modify the #3 by stomping it. What you have now is not a #3, it is a damaged gripper. Your Elite and GM are also stomped to hell and the reason your #3 was harder than your elite, is because your elite is likely just as damaged as your new stomped #3.

Foot stomping will wreck any gripper

How is that? I used a little metal holder I made and used foot pressure to do 50 reps on my BBSM & BBE when I first got them. NO stomping, just 50 closes in groups of 10, letting the spring cool down, then 10 more. Spread on each narrowed maybe 1/8" at most, more like 1/16" as these are high quality grippers.

Seasoning a gripper is NO different than doing reps during your normal workout, only the gripper takes a set faster. Seasoning will accomplish that in a matter of minutes were as doing x amount of reps with a new gripper might take a few weeks or longer, but it's all the same in the end, so why the hate :D

I prefer to know right away that any progress I make is me getting stronger and NOT the gripper breaking in or getting weaker. I seasoned my BBSM and the next day made an attempt to close it and got to 3/8", so that is my reference point. It did season down about 1/8", so if I did NOT season it, I would have only gotten it to 1/2". Then over the next several weeks it would season from normal use and I'd get it down to 3/8" ,but did I really get stronger, NO. That's why "I" choose to season new grippers....

You guys kill me with your "holier than thou because I don't season" attitude.... :tongue

I agree that it is possible to use your foot to season in a griper and not damage it. However this is not what everyone is doing. If you take care not to twist the gripper, push it past the handles, and not do too much too fast then I agree it is possible to do it without damage. What us "holier than thou" guys are talking about is the people taking it to an extreeme.

If everybody says nothing about this, and new people coming to the board read that the first thing you do is stomp your gripper as fast and hard as you can with a pipe running through it, are we helping them?

Greg

Here is my problem with what you say here: "I actually chose to buy a #3 to have a #3 not to have a BBE+....."

What you got WAS a #3. What you got was within the normal range of #3s. What you did is modify the #3 by stomping it. What you have now is not a #3, it is a damaged gripper. Your Elite and GM are also stomped to hell and the reason your #3 was harder than your elite, is because your elite is likely just as damaged as your new stomped #3.

This should be pinned.

Gamidon you have no way of knowing whether my grippers are easy , hard, avg, or in between....so why bother saying things you dont know?

my #3 was not supposed to be harder or as hard as BBE......when i opened it....I chest crushed and cheat closed them against my leg and I could tell a significant difference....I know IM grippers are supposed to be quality and not season much but in my case my #3 seasoned tremendously.....more than any BB or HG that I own...and no I didnt do anything malicious to the gripper...and I take offense that people are implying I did....

If everyone wants a tough gripper than go out and buy gripper couple levels harder than what you want....when I buy a gripper I have specific expectations....grippers vary....but in my specific case it was too much.....how would it feel to buy a gripper and realize it's as hard as youe BBE or BBSE and you cant use it for training? I personally dont buy grippers for conversation value, I buy them to use them in my workouts....

I have done this on all my tough grippers.....and guess what? the HGs which are supposed to be the crappiest....my HG300 barely lost any spread.....maybe 1/8" in the beginning or even less....at 2.5" I have yet to close it even after I closed my 2006 #3 with a decent MMS close....all tough grippers were seasoned same exact way....about 200 foot stomps for the last 1/4".......all my clicks were aligned....

The point is everyone does whatever they want with the damn gripper. They paid their money for it so let them have a car run over the handles to season them lmao.

The point is everyone does whatever they want with the damn gripper. They paid their money for it so let them have a car run over the handles to season them lmao.

Your right I agree.

I just dont think someone should do whatever they want, including driving a car over it and then post it does no harm to the gripper and everything it did would happen through normal use.

I have some grippers that I have seasoned and they were wrecked (HG's) and some that it didn't affect (BB's and IM's). The biggest rules are...

1) don't press the handles past each other, only just touch them in a straight line.

2) if you use a pole or rod to stabilize the spring on the ground, it must be narrower than the inside diameter of the compressed spring coil, or you will take the dogleg out of the spring and thus, narrow the gripper spread.

There is no heating of the coil, when you press it closed with your foot and you only close it at a medium pace. Not rapid-fire, like some of you must be envisioning. You press it 100 times, oil it, then you are done. The gripper will now stay consistent. :cool

I have a new #3 that I have only closed by hand. I wanted to use it un-seasoned, to simulate a "Cert" #3.

How about chest-crushing it 100 times. Isn't that the very same thing as pressing it closed with your foot 100 times? :flame

How about chest-crushing it 100 times. Isn't that the very same thing as pressing it closed with your foot 100 times? :flame

If you are strong enough to do it rapidly then it might. The problem I have with the stomping method is that it brings to mind people literally "stomping" (like killing cockroaches) rather than a gentle repping.

I used the "foot stomp" method to season all my grippers..the ones that I seasoned anyways. Wes can attest to how "stomped out" my SE was :rolleyes Personally, I'd like to see some of these mythical 3.3 BBSE's and #4s. I'll bring my #4 to BBB2. It's been "foot stomped" seasoned and in a choker for months at a time. There will be several guys there capable of closing a 3.3 so we'll see who closes it. Oh yeah and my SE was in a choker for an extended period and again feel free to ask Wes how weak it was :rolleyes If you just use your foot to rep it and make sure you don't twist it, it's not going to hurt it. Of course I'm not talking about literally stomping it like apparently some people do??

The gripper gets weaker after X number of closes: chest crushing it for those reps or using your foot doesn't make any difference as long as you use common sense. You might get stronger from seasoning it with attempts or chest crushes but the bottom line is you're still closing a weaker gripper than what you had initially.

I train with chokers and I oil my grippers, neither of those will permantly impact the strength of the gripper. I always take my grippers out of chokers, I have no idea of it would weaken one, but I take them out anyways..

Heath,

I certainly have no problem with anyone training with chokers. What does bother me is leaving a (#3+) gripper in a choker or hose clamp for an extended period (ie. days/weeks) - particularly as a means of seasoning it.

Hypothetical: You've got a brand spanking new BBSE which you've placed in a hose clamp. The handles are 1/3" from being closed. You leave the clamp on for 2 weeks - during which time you do nothing with the gripper.

Does anyone honestly believe this situation wouldn't noticeably alter the strength of the gripper (and for that matter decrease the spread)?

Thanks to everyone for the input. . . .I really enjoy reading the perspectives of others on this issue :happy

Dave

i agree with soilworker and jad.

as far as the hypothetical situation there, i dont think it would affect the gripper at all.1/3, 2/3 or full closed just sittin there for 2 weeks i still dont think it would affect the hardness or anything to the spread.

The question I have is do people sing when they foot stomp grippers.

BWAH!

:tongue

I'm sorry if this turn into a bit of a rant but I'm confused, I thought the reason we closed grippers and moved on to harder grippers was to get stronger grip. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to be recognized for your achievements, as I too am working towards being a CoC and Mash Monster. But really even if there were no Certs, message boards or any recognition at all, I'd still be training grip. Up until I read about it on this board I'd never even considered beating the crap out of one of my grippers in an effort to soften it up. I understand that some people don't want the gripper to get easier as they use it, but don't you plan on moving on to a more difficult gripper anyway? As for the minority who heavily season a gripper (nearly to the point of modifying it) just so they can claim the have closed "such and such a gripper", anyone can make statements like that without wrecking a perfectly good gripper. Look: I HAVE CLOSED AN RBWT AND A BB GRAND GALAXY. Now wasn't that easier than stomping on a #3?

That's just my two cents.

To to add a bit of fairly worthless information... I work as a structural analyst, and there is no mechanism by which leaving a gripper in a choker for an extended period would affect it any more than putting it in the choker then taking it straight back out. The only time dependent material property of metal is 'creep', but this doesn't occur below ~500C.

Heath,

I certainly have no problem with anyone training with chokers. What does bother me is leaving a (#3+) gripper in a choker or hose clamp for an extended period (ie. days/weeks) - particularly as a means of seasoning it.

Hypothetical: You've got a brand spanking new BBSE which you've placed in a hose clamp. The handles are 1/3" from being closed. You leave the clamp on for 2 weeks - during which time you do nothing with the gripper.

Leaving a gripper in a choker at that distance for days or even a couple weeks would no impact on the gripper at all.

To to add a bit of fairly worthless information... I work as a structural analyst, and there is no mechanism by which leaving a gripper in a choker for an extended period would affect it any more than putting it in the choker then taking it straight back out. The only time dependent material property of metal is 'creep', but this doesn't occur below ~500C.

Hey, he's trying to get all smart on us lugs! :cool