Gripper Seasoning

gripmaniac

Whilst I accept the fact that I’m opening up a can of worms with this topic, I do so only to hear the opinions of others and hopefully encourage mature discussion on the topic. I'm also concerned that newbie grip trainees may be tempted to read about and then do things to their grippers in the name of "seasoning" and then proclaim their prowess.

This is absolutely NOT a personal attack on anyone.

I’m interested to hear what others consider to be acceptable methods of seasoning new grippers.

Personally I consider the following to be acceptable methods to be acceptable:

- Chest crushes

- Forced & 2 hand closes

- Oiling the spring

- Repeated attempts/partials (ie. normal use)

On the other hand I have serious issues with the following (and I know of instances where these have all been done):

- Putting and/or leaving a gripper in a vice

- Heating the spring

- Leaving a gripper in a choker/hose clamp for an extended period.

- Treading on or loading dead weight on top of an upright gripper.

To way of thinking any of the above are likely to have a significant and permanent negative affect on a grippers strength which is far in excess of the less extreme methods mentioned above. Translation: You’ll screw up the gripper and in terms of it’s strength it’ll be nothing like the strength of “normal” gripper of the same type.

I wish to point out that I'm only talking about seasoning - NOT deliberately mangling a gripper to lesson it's strength (ie. taking a BBSE and ultimately turning it into a say 3.30 strength gripper).

Does anyone use other methods to season grippers?

What do people think are acceptable methods of seasoning?

Dave

Don’t sit back and say nothing – please put ya 2 cents in !!!!

I totally agree, anything beyond normal use is ridiculous, you are no longer closing your gripper but a sub par gripper.

My teacher once took the handles off his Silver Crush and did all sorts of nasty things with the spring...... :whistel

I am not going to attempt such thing incase the spring breaks.

I only season my grippers by using them regularly but i have to say that i see no problem with having grippers in chokers and such.

I don't understand why anyone would want to 'season' their gripper other than through normal use, and possibly oiling if it gets a bit squeaky due to surface rust. There are plenty of grippers out there that you can get one at the levels of difficulty you need. If you can't close it, get stronger, then close it!

Just use them.

My thoughts exactly

On the other hand I have serious issues with the following (and I know of instances where these have all been done):

- Putting and/or leaving a gripper in a vice

- Heating the spring

- Leaving a gripper in a choker/hose clamp for an extended period.

- Treading on or loading dead weight on top of an upright gripper.

To way of thinking any of the above are likely to have a significant and permanent negative affect on a grippers strength which is far in excess of the less extreme methods mentioned above. Translation: You’ll screw up the gripper and in terms of it’s strength it’ll be nothing like the strength of “normal” gripper of the same type.

I wish to point out that I'm only talking about seasoning - NOT deliberately mangling a gripper to lesson it's strength (ie. taking a BBSE and ultimately turning it into a say 3.30 strength gripper).

Dave

Don’t sit back and say nothing – please put ya 2 cents in !!!!

I do not know what putting them in a vice would do, other than tear up your knurling. Obviously heating the spring is clearly an attempt to modify it.

Choker, I do not know if holding the spring in a position would do anything to a spring unless you somehow choked it so far as to push the handels past the normal range. I would think leaving it in a choker would do absolutely nothing, not season it, not weaken it.

Stomping, well I voiced my opinion on this, I believe this is done to weaken the gripper. Those that do it are kidding themselves if they think their stomped grippers would be the same as if it was seasoned through normal use.

I wish to point out that I'm only talking about seasoning - NOT deliberately mangling a gripper to lesson it's strength

How are these two different? If you're doing anything other than crushing it, what's the purpose?

the only seasoning i recall of is when i did forced closes against a bench on my hard #3..oh an yeh i tried the vice thing as a gripper 'noob' an that broke the vice after about 10 seconds :whacked

after that i retired from gripper seasoning! ive never oiled springs, used chokers etc

i can see an advantage of it though - you can change the gripper strength to create better progress if it is not what you were looking for

what i dont agree with is people seasoning grippers down so they are easy, an then claiming a close of that gripper - both my #3 and hg400 no sets were done with a brand new gripper!

Although I really don't usually agree with the minimalist point of view, I second Heath's post.

I always keep the spring lubricated. Can't stand squeeky, rusty springs. Actually I go through quite a ritual during my gripper workouts. I remove the chalk from the handle every third to fourth set with a steel brush. Easier to evaluate workout schemes if you keep track of variables.

• Like 1

I also "just use 'em."

But, I believe one of the arguments for any type of seasoning is that the gripper is going to season with regular use anyway, and it's possible for gripper seasoning to be taken as strength gain.

I have to say I purchased a used BBSE that I knew had been seasoned and this thing is FIRM. It also still has about a 2.75" spread. There is no noticable alteration to the gripper.

I say, season if you want. They're your grippers.

Oiling the spring is just good upkeep.

I footstomp my grippers and it gives them more consistancy. I do not want a gripper to weaken through use because part of the gain will be due to weakening of the gripper.....also how much gripper seasons depends on the specific gripper

I have MMS my 2006 #3 yet have not closed my HG300.....both got foot stomped....I would say my #3 is avg based on its spread.....

now I do this to season the gripper....not to modify or to make it easier....granted as gripper seasons it becomes weaker but it's only during the initial phase which is true through normal use also although it takes longer....I do no see putting gripper in a choker or foot stomping as methods of modifying one's gripper....

also comparing deliberate modification of the gripper through heating of the spring with other seasoning techniques is completely off base.....

Edited by menace3000

I once heard a while back that after repeated "normal" use of a gripper doesnt actually do anything to it, if it does weeken it its such a minimal amount, i mean we are talking about a gripper that requires hundreds of lbs to close is a loss of 5-9 lbs of weight really going to do anything? ( the weight im refering to is anything 3 or greater)

I don't understand why anyone would want to 'season' their gripper other than through normal use, and possibly oiling if it gets a bit squeaky due to surface rust. There are plenty of grippers out there that you can get one at the levels of difficulty you need. If you can't close it, get stronger, then close it!

Well put!

I never really understood the purpose of seasoning a gripper, if a gripper is to hard to close train harder and get stronger! I would be more proud of myself if I mashed a unseasoned gripper! I read about people that stomp on there brand new coc#3 100 times, maybe you should have bought a BBGM? If you cert on a MM1 or above gripper can you stomp on it 100 times before you close it?

I actually chose to buy a #3 to have a #3 not to have a BBE+.....what does it say about a gripper if it seasons almost 0.5" and goes from being more difficult than BBE to being avg.....definitely much harder than BBGM .....but not insane...

For me a #3 was to be between my BBGM and BBE....but it was insane out of the package....3.25" spread...not something I want in my #3...if i wanted a gripper this hard I would have bought another BBE or BBSE....when it seasoned down to right around 2.75" it became what it should be....it's a tough gripper still....

I actually chose to buy a #3 to have a #3 not to have a BBE+.....what does it say about a gripper if it seasons almost 0.5" and goes from being more difficult than BBE to being avg.....definitely much harder than BBGM .....but not insane...

How did you get it to reduce 1/2 inch?

How did you get it to reduce 1/2 inch?

I was thinking about the same question..I've never experienced that.

For me a #3 was to be between my BBGM and BBE....but it was insane out of the package....3.25" spread...not something I want in my #3...if i wanted a gripper this hard I would have bought another BBE or BBSE....when it seasoned down to right around 2.75" it became what it should be....it's a tough gripper still....

I do not believe that a good gripper, RB, IM, Tetting would season .5" with regular use, I doubt that they would drop down anymore than 1/8". What it says about a gripper that season 1/2" is either it is a shit spring, or someone has worked it over so they can close it.

Since when is putting a choker and oiling up your gripper a way of sesoning it? I have read here quite a few times that those do nothing to the strength of a gripper.

I never understood why people would foot stomp a gripper. I would rather work out with a harder gripper anyways.