Strap Holds

Michael86

Well I decided to my make myself a strap for strap holds yesterday.I went to hobby lobby got a strip of cheap leather 15" long 1" wide 1/8" thick, very slick on one side classic leather fuzz on the other.It works great I have 5lbs on it right now and the best Ive got was 15sec with the #1.I just took my knife and put two holes in the proper places, put the strap through the weight and tied it off with some small gage climbing type rope.I wish I would have done this from the beginning because I can definantly see how it helps close that last 1/4" of a gripper, Im definantly going to look into getting some thicker leather for when I finally mash the #2. Ive closed the #2 afew times w/ a very generous set but I wont declare it dead and post a close date in my sig until I satisfactorily CC set close it like a I did w/ the #1.But anyways for any of you new guys like me if you haven't tried strap holds you defiantly half to check them out their great they'll defiantly aid you in smashing that last 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 whatever it may be.Im a believer and Ive only been doing them for two days.

Your strap is a little thick. A 1/16" ratchet strap or a thin piece of metal banding are the best. The banding is insane hard.

You are certainly on the right track michael, strapholds are the answer.

I would do a single lift instead of a timed hold. Just pick up the weight and set it back down. Add 2.5lbs and try again.

If you don't feel like you're about to pass out, sqeeze harder!

Never heard of doing single lift strapholds, sort of seems pointless. 3-5 sets of 7-10 secs seem to be the most successful. When I can hold say 10lbs for 3 sets of 10 secs I will either move up grippers or add 2.5lbs to the lift. I think most people do straps for time. You are much better off holding a heavier gripper with less weight than say 50lbs with a #1.

I have seen great progress with single straphold lifts, working up to 20 - 25lbs before moving up to the next gripper.

To be honest, I have never tried any lifts for time, in block, pinch, grippers or anything. But now that you've reccommended it, I'll try timed work for a while and see how it goes.

Ironmind does make good straps. I like working with the thick strap, 9/16" I think it is?

Warren Tetting makes the best strap I have tried, it is about as thick as a credit card and is steel, super slick. One could easily be made with some steel bamding and some rope.

I work strapholds like Heath does. 3-5 sets of timed holds, when I can get 10 count holds I add weight. One of the best methods for improving the close.