Wrist Flexibility In V-bar Lifting

Mikael Siversson

V-bar lifting is IMO mainly a test of hand strength, wrist flexibility and pain tolerance. Those of you DO benders that struggle with the v-bar should perhaps add some reverse or DU bending for added wrist flexibility. Alternatively do a lot of leverage work with sledge hammers and such at more extreme wrist angles. A quick look at the top 10 in the v-bar list indicates indeed that DO benders are at a disadvantage in v-bar lifting, presumably because of their less flexible wrists. The majority of the top ten are bending reverse style or DU.

Thanks for the info!

I hadn't thought about it that way. I wouldn't consider myself to have strong or flexible wrists, or maybe I just don't know what constitutes good wrist flexibility. I tend to grab the vbar from the side.

Okay, I just played around with hand positioning and realized that I guess I have good enough flexibility to lift decent weights on the vbar. I can see how poor flexibility would hinder performance too.

I hadn't thought about it that way.  I wouldn't consider myself to have strong or flexible wrists, or maybe I just don't know what constitutes good wrist flexibility.  I tend to grab the vbar from the side.

Okay, I just played around with hand positioning and realized that I guess I have good enough flexibility to lift decent weights on the vbar.  I can see how poor flexibility would hinder performance too.

Yes, with poor flexibilty the hand tends to open up as you start to pull.

Interesting observation. Indicates that I am doing some badly wrong when I do V-bar lifts as I lift with my hands and wrist tilt very similarly to when doing overhand bending and would if anything train that flexibility by overhand bends and not underhand bends.

So now I will go back and watch some v-bar movies from the champs :bow

I don't really see why DO bending hinders wrist flexibility for V-bar. For me, when I bend DO, the wrists are in a very similar position as to when I lift with my V-bar ?!?

I don't really see why DO bending hinders wrist flexibility for V-bar. For me, when I bend DO, the wrists are in a very similar position as to when I lift with my V-bar ?!?

Then you are not doing it like most others where they keep their wrists in line with the rest of the forearm. Its the extreme angles in DU and in particular the reverse style (as well as DO non-folding style) that may help. My right hand v-bar went up when I started bending reverse style but my left hand v-bar did not as it is really only one hand in the reverse style that simulates a v-bar position. This is just a theory. Maybe I am wrong.