340 Fat Bastard V-bar

Bob Lipinski

By Michigan's strongest hands, Dave Thorton.

Got a video of an iffy 340, and an easy 335.

Dave is one of the coolest and most humble guys to hang out and train with. Nice to train with someone a hell of alot better than you every once in a while.

Before anyone locks the thread, give me a bit to get the video up.

Awesome lift. Dave is capable of some huge grip numbers and is very underated. One of the strongest guys on the board. . .

Austin

What area of grip do you need to be strong in to excell at the vbar lift. I dont know much about it and was just curious. Great lift. :rock

Edited by patrick

Disregarding the lifting height (which could not be determined based on the video clip), the right hand attempt was good whereas the left hand attempt would not have been approved with the Euro rules as the weight was basically dropped.

Good example of a good lift and a bad one as far as lowering the weight under control goes.

Very strong regardless though. :bow

Has anyone tried both a LGC-replica and a Fat Bastard v-bar?

From what I know of the rules, the first lift might have been high enough to pass. The second one Dave basically lost his grip on.

After these lifts, Dave did 335 which went about a foot off the ground. The video was a little messed up though.

Congrats to Dave. I had the pleasure of meeting Dave At NOSIII. A modest and very nice guy - has some very big hands which happen to be darn strong also.

Thorton is strong.

Edited by Sean Dockery

Great lift :bow

:mosher Way to go Dave! I've had the pleasure of working out with Dave a few times its very humbling. He definitely has a hell of a grip even though he would never say so himself. We've never done 1" v bar together but have done 2" and I have watched him pull 265 a good 5 to 6 inches after a full work out got a picture of 255 I think my brother got a picture of 265. Anyways very impressive STRONG GUY.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Thanks Bob for putting the video up. It was good working out with you.

Patrick, I'm still learning about the V-bar. I'm not sure how much carryover there is with other exercises. Mikael could answer your question better, but I think larger hands probably help.

Mikael, I have not tried the LGC bar. The FBBC V-bar is a solid steel 1" bar, not sure how much it weighs.

:mosher Way to go Dave! I've had the pleasure of working out with Dave a few times its very humbling. He definitely has a hell of a grip even though he would never say so himself. We've never done 1" v bar together but have done 2" and I have watched him pull 265 a good 5 to 6 inches after a full work out got a picture of 255 I think my brother got a picture of 265. Anyways very impressive STRONG GUY.

yup i saw it. I was there. I got a pic but is not a good one sorry guys. David is strong none the less. :bow

What area of grip do you need to be strong in to excell at the vbar lift. I dont know much about it and was just curious. Great lift. :rock

Wrist flexibility is important in combination with a strong static grip. Plenty of work with a sledge hammer at angles mimic those in the v-bar lift helps. Without flexible wrists you won't pull a lot in this lift. Typically the skin lasts for a certain number of heavy lifts. Personally I do the first half of the workout (warm up) with the bar in a non-optimal position in the hand. For the latter half I then switch to the optimal position (which differs from one individual to another). This reduces the likelihood of the skin being torn. Curiously I place the bar differently with my left hand. What works well for the right hand does not work so well with my left, as my left wrist is less flexible. You may also want to try to grip the bar from an angle different from the one you would use if you did not move your body position after securing your grip. I often grip the bar from the front with my left hand and then while maintaining my grip move the rest of my body back, counter clockwise 90 degrees or a bit less. This will reduce the initial rotation of the bar.

Initially the v-bar results may vary wildly between workouts even using a bar that stays the same. This is usually a result of the workouts being too closer together in time. I currently do v-bar lifting every 8th day.